Author Topic: Gold standard  (Read 2989 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Gold standard
« on: April 03, 2019, 12:21:57 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/charleskadlec/2011/08/15/nixons-colossal-monetary-error-the-verdict-40-years-later/?fbclid=IwAR14TswGi1ukcre82FjY_1gzykxYMEQ0HWRuNQpdfXXT2dQSNWyr_ccjrxM#1f83117f69f7

Ok, that article is 8 years old.  But not much has happened that would change the author's conclusion I'm pretty sure.

Let's take his argument as writ.  Assume that a return to the gold standard is viable and there is political will to do so.  Practically speaking how would we reattach the dollar to gold at this point.  It won't be at 1/35 oz per dollar, but whatever value is picked it will cause a lot of havoc while everything gets re-priced.  What will the unintended consequences be?  By eliminating the ability to manipulate a fiat currency what will happen to the federal and state/local budgets, interest rates, capital markets, savings and investments, ad nauseum.
Formerly sumpnz

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Gold standard
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 12:27:06 AM »
When the British reestablished their gold standard in the 30s they went back to their pre-WW1 number but they had created too much money in that span of years for that peg to be advisable so, yes things did not work so well and the gold standard got a bad rap.

We can go on a gold standard tomorrow with no problems. All you have to do is pick a recent price of gold, say an average of the last three or six months, declare that your peg and then all you need is the political will not to mess with it.

After that it's just maintaining the peg.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 12:50:24 AM »
As to the rest, do you want the government to be able to manipulate the currency?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 01:00:08 AM »
As to the rest, do you want the government to be able to manipulate the currency?

No, but after almost 50 years of that what are the (maybe)(un)intended consequences of making that change?
Formerly sumpnz

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 01:22:30 AM »
Some people will not react well, but having a stable currency is the same as having stable other units of measure.

Where would we be if one month a foot was 12 inches and the next it was 10 inches? That would throw off all manner of things. Yet there would be people who benefit but most of us would not.

It just needs to be sold well. Appeal to people's innate conservatism.

Even though some folks would be out of sorts if we changed back it would be best for all of us if the currency didn't whipsaw about.

Though we've had pretty low inflation for the last ten years under and considering our fiat standard.

Still a gold standard would likely do better. The people who would oppose a return to the GS would have to neutralized politically and who knows what a ruckus that would be. And how the markets would respond to it.

I really don't know.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 02:03:07 AM »
Still a gold standard would likely do better. The people who would oppose a return to the GS would have to neutralized politically and who knows what a ruckus that would be. And how the markets would respond to it.

Uh, I don't see a gold standard actually increasing stability in the ways that matter. 

What "problem" are you trying to solve by going to the gold standard?

Keep in mind that for the good of the economy, you don't want people holding onto money.  You want them spending it, investing it, etc...  It is the oil, the lubricant, of the economy, not the point of the economy.

If you go to tie money to gold again, you are likely to cause deflation, which means people holding onto their money, which means that it isn't lubricating the economy, which leads to depression.

Yes, you have governments being stupid with fiscal policy(the USA is actually middling good here), but the gold standard wouldn't actually fix the problem.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 03:42:23 AM »
Given our recent run of low inflation there's not a lot of room for the GS to show it's power. It would be difficult to get inflation lower than 1% but it could be done and to everyone's benefit.

Deflation is a bit of a worry but if the peg is maintained it won't happen.

Japan has deflationary issues and they are not on the GS so it can happen under a fiat standard as well. (But that also proves that you don't need a GS to have very low rates of inflation.) 

We had a GS for a long time and had a very strong economy. Of course we also had high tariffs, low taxes, and comparatively few regulations on businesses. So what was the most important factor in that bundle of things? I don't know. I suggest no one knows for sure, but I'd say that the GS didn't hurt anything and and is probably in the top two out of the four. So bringing it back will at the very least not cause any issues and may well lead to a stronger economy.

The GS when left alone is neutral, the amount of money circulating is increased or decreased virtually automatically with no political input.  There are no econ PhDs in fancy suits telling us this, that, or the other about what the money supply should be. It just happens in the background.

So the GS, if properly implemented, takes the control of the money out of the direct influence of politicians and bureaucrats. And that is generally a good thing.   

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 07:04:39 AM »
Our inflation numbers are a lie.

We’ve experienced much higher inflation than reported.

Energy and food costs aren’t even in the current formula the gov. uses to figure inflation.

Using the 1980 government formula we are close to 10% inflation.

This site runs the numbers using the governments numbers.

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 09:21:12 AM »

Energy and food costs aren’t even in the current formula the gov. uses to figure inflation.

I have had strong suspicions about the reported inflation rates- my salary has doubled twice in the last 20 years, and I don't feel like I'm keeping up with inflation.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 09:42:42 AM »

I've previously talked about food costs (and I can't find it as the search button isn't being helpful) but here's some useful information:

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1985.html

Cost of Living 1985
How Much things cost in 1985
Yearly Inflation Rate USA 3.55%
Average Cost of new house $89,330
Median Price Of and Existing Home $75,500
Average Income per year $22,100.00
Average Monthly Rent $375.00
Average Price for new car$9,005.00
gallon of gas $1.09
Movie Ticket $2.75
US Postage Stamp 22 cents
Bacon per pound $1.65
Bean Bag Lounger $39.99
Rainbow Brite Color Kids $9.99 Each
Rib Eye Steak   Lb $3.89

That's 34 years ago.

At a 10% inflation rate, bacon would cost $42 today. At a 3% inflation rate, bacon would cost $4.50 today.
At a 10% inflation rate, gas would cost $27.95. At a 3% inflation rate, gas would cost $2.98
At a 10% inflation rate, ribeye would cost $99.38. At a 3% inflation rate, ribeye would cost $10.63.
At a 10% inflation rate, the average price of a new car would be $230,000. At a 3% inflation rate, the average price of a new car would be $24,600.

Which one of those looks closer (but still high!) to today's prices?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 09:47:49 AM »
And to answer the original post, a gold standard isn't a cure-all. What it does is offer different problems.

We could probably figure out ways around deflationary pressures, handing over control of our money supply to Russia and China*, and other gold standard issues, but most of our issues are not caused by the Fed or monetary policy.

*Ok, and Australia. Who do you think the largest producers of gold are?

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 09:49:07 AM »
There are lies, damnable lies and statistics.

The truth is inflation is higher than they say it is currently. Unless you believe the government over your lying eyes (and pocketbook).

Obviously the 1980’s formula was terrible. Even 10% inflation would create havoc. It’s scary that as recently as the ‘80s our government was formulating policy on statistical analysis that was so disconnected from reality.

Statistical models aren’t reality.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 09:55:45 AM »
There are lies, damnable lies and statistics.

The truth is inflation is higher than they say it is currently. Unless you believe the government over your lying eyes (and pocketbook).

It’s scary that as recently as the ‘80s our government was formulating policy on statistical analysis that was so disconnected from reality.

Statistical models aren’t reality.

Those aren't statistical models. I just gave you the prices for goods in 1985 and ran a simple calculation of compounded inflation over time.

https://www.kroger.com/p/hormel-black-label-original-natural-hardwood-smoke-bacon/0003760035160

On sale for $4.50.

https://www.kroger.com/p/beef-choice-bone-in-ribeye-steak-1-steak-/0020201200000

$10.99 per pound  

It's not a conspiracy, prices really are comparable to 1985 plus fairly low inflation rate.

Now WAGES have been flat for 15 years and that's a particularly bad thing (that Trumponomics seems to be turning around), but other prices are right in line with a steady ~3% inflation rate.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 10:02:29 AM »
Those aren't statistical models. I just gave you the prices for goods in 1985 and ran a simple calculation of compounded inflation over time.

I got your point. Even 3% inflation over the years compounds to higher prices than one would expect.

The government doesn’t use simple formulas like that though, they use some other method that conveniently under reports real inflation.

I wonder what their method would show after adding food and energy costs?

Good point about wages not keeping up also. That makes even 3% feel that much worse.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 10:49:45 AM »
As a future goal I’d like to see us go back to a hard money currency.

How that would work or happen I have no idea.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 11:56:49 AM »
Interesting conversation folks, keep it up... I'd like to know more.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 12:25:53 PM »

https://www.kroger.com/p/hormel-black-label-original-natural-hardwood-smoke-bacon/0003760035160

On sale for $4.50.

https://www.kroger.com/p/beef-choice-bone-in-ribeye-steak-1-steak-/0020201200000

$10.99 per pound  

It's not a conspiracy, prices really are comparable to 1985 plus fairly low inflation rate.

Now WAGES have been flat for 15 years and that's a particularly bad thing (that Trumponomics seems to be turning around), but other prices are right in line with a steady ~3% inflation rate.

I wonder if profit margins are the same on those items etc. ?

Increased efficiency in production over time should increase profits and lower prices. Instead we have higher prices.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 02:43:36 PM »
I would like to see global standards bodies promulgate some standards for currency. Most people don't think of currency the same as, say, the meter or the second. But it wasn't very long ago that every country had its own definition of the foot and the gallon and the pound, which they used to manipulate the economy (and I'm sure the loved it very much). Nowadays nobody seems to think it radical that everyone is "forced" to measure things with the same units. It's only a good thing. I don't see why we can't at least try to define an SI dollar, even if we don't force anyone to use it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 03:24:52 PM »
But it wasn't very long ago that every country had its own definition of the foot and the gallon and the pound,

Not just at the country level, standards were different between regions, cities, and industries. It must have been maddening.

Having a standard currency that is accepted and works everywhere would be nigh-impossible.

Just on the cultural level there is a lot of attachment to the local currency in a lot of places. It would like asking them to give up a favorite holiday or cuisine or their very language.

So it would be easier to have places keep their own currency and link it to gold or link, via a currency board, to another currency linked to gold.
Also the nominal amounts that things are priced in might not work well for everyone if everything were say listed in dollars. It might be difficult for locals to figure in this alien-to-them currency when they are used to pesos, or leks or shillings.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 03:33:17 PM »
Weights and measures, especially anything outside of the metric system, were not standardized until around the turn of the 20th century, where they needed parts from one factory to fit parts made in another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNRnrn5DE58
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zahc

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 03:36:44 PM »
Not just at the country level, standards were different between regions, cities, and industries. It must have been maddening.

Having a standard currency that is accepted and works everywhere would be nigh-impossible.

Just on the cultural level there is a lot of attachment to the local currency in a lot of places. It would like asking them to give up a favorite holiday or cuisine or their very language.

So it would be easier to have places keep their own currency and link it to gold or link, via a currency board, to another currency linked to gold.
Also the nominal amounts that things are priced in might not work well for everyone if everything were say listed in dollars. It might be difficult for locals to figure in this alien-to-them currency when they are used to pesos, or leks or shillings.

Let them keep their pesos, leks and shillings. After all, US still uses inches, but they've been redefined as exactly 25.4mm. The US gallon is exactly 3.78 liters, and the same with all other US customary units. They have all been redefined in standard units, but this is only possible because there are standard units in the first place. Unification comes later, but defining a currency standard is the first step. There are several ways a currency standard could be developed. For example, you could define it in terms of a certain mass of some stable element.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 03:38:42 PM »
I would like to see global standards bodies promulgate some standards for currency. Most people don't think of currency the same as, say, the meter or the second. But it wasn't very long ago that every country had its own definition of the foot and the gallon and the pound, which they used to manipulate the economy (and I'm sure the loved it very much). Nowadays nobody seems to think it radical that everyone is "forced" to measure things with the same units. It's only a good thing. I don't see why we can't at least try to define an SI dollar, even if we don't force anyone to use it.

Allow me to explain why.

The value (price) of an item can change daily or hourly. What unit are you going to use to define how much a "SI dollar" is worth?

Gold? Its price varies by supply and demand.
Silver? Its price varies by supply and demand.

Ohhh!!! Here's a fun one we could have used.

"A dollar is the price of 1MB of memory", in 2000. What's that value now?

I'm going to stop there because you CANNOT have a "SI Value" for goods, because their value is determined by the market day by day. The dollar/Euro/pound/yuan/yen likewise change day by day and minute by minute.

Economics doesn't work like physics. A meter is a meter is a meter (until we figure out how to warp space, at least). The price of a good (including currency) depends on many variable factors, unlike length, mass, and volume.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 04:29:41 PM »
A. Mitchell-Innes wrote this in 1914 in his article The Credit Theory of Money which was a follow up to his 1913 article What is Money. He was not a gold standard proponent. Instead he was a fiat money guy who rejected the idea that there ever was a metallic standard of coinage until recent times (recent for his era).

I quote him as a follow-on to whoever the Hell Tulsi Gabbard actually is to point out that even within a particular society there are going to be different definitions of the currency unit.

The notion that we all have to-day that the government coin is the one and only dollar and that all other forms of money are promises to pay that dollar is no longer tenable in the face of the clear historical evidence to the contrary. A government dollar is a promise to "pay," a promise to "satisfy," a promise to "redeem," just as all other money is.

All forms of money are identical in their nature. It is hard to get the public to realize this functional principle, without a true understanding of which it is impossible to grasp any of the phenomena of money.

Hard, too, is it to realize that in America to-day, there are in any given place many different dollars in use, for the fact is not so apparent in our days as it was in former times.

Let us suppose that I take to my banker in, say, New Orleans, a number of sight drafts of the same nominal value, one on the Sub-Treasury, one on another well-known bank in the city, one on an obscure tradesman in the suburbs, one on a well-known bank in New York, and one on a reputable merchant in Chicago.

For the draft on the Sub-Treasury and for that on the bank in the city, my banker will probably give me a credit for exactly the nominal value, but the others will all be exchanged at different prices.

For the draft on the New York bank I might get more than the stated amount, for that of the New York merchant, I should probably get less, while for that on the obscure tradesman, my banker would probably give nothing without my endorsement, and even then I should receive less than the nominal amount.

All these documents represent different dollars of debt, which the banker buys for whatever he thinks they may be worth to him. The banker whose dollars we buy, estimates all these other dollars in terms of his own. The dollar of a first class banker is the highest standard of credit that can be obtained generally speaking, though the standard of a first class banker in a city like London or New York may be worth to a provincial banker somewhat more than his own money.

The dollar of government money in America is equal to that of bank money, because of the confidence which we have come to have in government credit, and it usually ranks in any given city slightly higher than does the money of a banker outside the city, not at all because it represents gold, but merely because the financial operations of the government are so extensive that government money is required everywhere for the discharge of taxes or other obligations to the government.

Everybody who incurs a debt issues his own dollar, which may or may not be identical with the dollar of any one else's money. It is a little difficult to realize this curious fact, because in practice the only dollars which circulate are government dollars and bank dollars and, as both represent the highest and most convenient form of credit, their relative value is much the same, though not always identical. This apparent stability of government money in our day obscures the phenomenon which was familiar to our forefathers.

So even if you fix the national unit to a stable element you're still going to have all manner of other definitions floating about.

So you'll standardize all the worlds' national units and leave thousands if not tens-of-thousands un-standardized. Seems like a lot of work for little pay-off.

Also there was recently a movement for those involved in international trade to have a standard unit but it never went anywhere. I cannot remember what it was called, not the Bancor that was from the 40s. If a bunch of profit-driven business types couldn't get it done what hope is there for the state bureaucrats of the world?

Of course, I might be missing Zach's point entirely.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 09:40:04 AM »
I think a lot of attraction of the gold standard is the hope that it will prevent the government from hyperinflating the currency.  That is something I am concerned about, with our huge debt that the gov doesn't care about.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2019, 02:27:08 AM »
I wonder if profit margins are the same on those items etc. ?

Increased efficiency in production over time should increase profits and lower prices. Instead we have higher prices.

This is where it gets tricky.  You also have to factor in market demand and regulations.

For example, a modern car might cost about the same as one from the '80s at 3% inflation, but it is likely equally fuel efficient while being massively heavier, less polluting, safer(0 air bags vs a dozen or more), trading the radio for a multimedia entertainment system that can play DVDs or even stream videos, and has things like "adaptive cruise control" that lets you not just set a speed, but have it follow the car in front, maintaining a safe separation.  

A TV from the '80s is probably under 2 feet, a unit today with 3% inflation pricing factored in would cover most of a wall these days.

Steak, we've gone from "choice" and "select" to "organic grass fed Angus".  There's lots of background controls to prevent things like mad cow transmission.  Indeed, can you identify any extreme examples of cost savings when it comes to beef?  Also, the selection of prepared frozen food has substantially changed since I was a child to today.  Much healthier, fancier, etc...

Some things we've massively improved processes on, yes.  In some things they're actually worse efficiency wise because demands/requirements have increased.  

Obviously the 1980’s formula was terrible. Even 10% inflation would create havoc. It’s scary that as recently as the ‘80s our government was formulating policy on statistical analysis that was so disconnected from reality.

Actually, I'd argue that 10% inflation wouldn't create havoc.  What would create havoc is inflation rates going to 10% overnight after staying at around 3% for decades.  As long as the number isn't ridiculously high, stability is more important than the actual number.  Businesses would prefer a flat 10% a year over a rate that amounts to a roll of a 10 sided die every year, even if the latter case averages out to only 5.5% inflation.

And yes, we've learned a lot about economics in the last 30 years.  Still have more to learn, of course.

The government doesn’t use simple formulas like that though, they use some other method that conveniently under reports real inflation.

"conveniently" might be a problem, but the government does actually use simple formulas like that.  The problem comes in that the relative value of different goods is indeed going to shift over time, depending upon shifting demand, availability, technology, etc...  Adding up the entire economy is rather difficult to good, so about the best they can do is create a standard list of goods and use that.  Some goods aren't good because they shift in value too much on an almost random basis, you want goods that will still be around in the same form decades down the road, where demand is more or less stable, etc...

It's a point where it is an initially simple problem, but when you want to create a long lasting, actually good continuing metric, the design becomes complicated because you are attempting to peer into the future.

A meter is a meter is a meter (until we figure out how to warp space, at least). The price of a good (including currency) depends on many variable factors, unlike length, mass, and volume.

Funny thing is, we redefined the kilogram in 2018.  The meter was redefined in 1983.  Though the number of digits until you'd see a change was rather large...  (IE weight of earth under old and new kg would still be the same down to the gram).

You have a point though.  The way I look at it, back during the gold standard if you added up all the types of goods for sale, including precursors, industrial goods, etc...  and compared it to the amount of gold available, you'd have a ratio of like 100k:1. Today?  It's like 100M:1.  Gold/Silver just isn't a large enough proportion of the economy anymore to act as the lubricant for the industrial economy anymore.  The economy has just expanded too much.  

Remember, a lot of the push for gold standard is from people who have been buying gold.  Who'd see massive gains if we did go to a gold standard and the government was attempting to buy enough.  So I think they're a bit biased.  It's no different than, say, buying the company that makes epipens then lobbying the government to require an epipen in the safety kit next to the AED in all government(and many commercial) buildings.  Of which there are roughly 361k in the USA...  So assuming a 3 year lifespan, that's 120k epipens a year.  Doing a quick google, it's roughly a 10% increase in sales...  Who, obviously, all pay full price.

Back to the gold standard - the government could, of course, set it at $1 = nanogram or so of gold, where the "real" value of the gold you can exchange a dollar for is so much below market that nobody ever takes the deal, and because not even the government will actually buy any gold at that price(it just answers that it has enough already, thank you), it's effectively not an efficient control anyways, and life goes on as normal.  Governments have managed to hyperinflate their currencies even while on the gold standard, after all.

Today, the value of the dollar is the measure of all the millions of things you could spend the dollar purchasing.  That's its strength.  Sure, it may have no real value otherwise, while a gold standard dollar would get you a few motes of gold if you divide the amount of gold that could readily be obtained by the USA by the number of dollars out there.