Author Topic: Another Greta question  (Read 3631 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Another Greta question
« on: December 12, 2019, 05:33:28 PM »
Why isn't she being treated as a truant?  Far as I'm aware homeschooling is all but impossible to do legally in most of Europe, including Sweden.  And in Sweden schooling is compulsory until 17.

And couldn't she, at least theoretically, be charged with something like conspiracy to violate truancy laws with her vocal support of others going on "school strike"?  I realize that might play into her marytr complex, so it might not be the best plan to pursue.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Another Greta question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 05:36:12 PM »
By the way, yes, I do know the answer is that she is promoting a position that is popular with TPTB in Sweden, and she has backing by some very powerful special interest groups.

But anyone else would be facing major fines, jail time, loss of custody, etc if their kid was doing the same thing, but without the climate activism.
Formerly sumpnz

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 08:28:45 PM »
You need a test case kid to test your theory. So clean-cut blonde boy named Lars pushing school strikes to give voice to a narrative of Sweden first, limited immigration and cultural assimilation to Swedish norms. Hmmmm now how would that go? [popcorn]
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 06:19:20 AM »
From Wiki...

Her father does not like her missing school, but said: "[We] respect that she wants to make a stand. She can either sit at home and be really unhappy, or protest, and be happy".[25] Thunberg says her teachers are divided in their views about her missing class to make her point. She says: "As people they think what I am doing is good, but as teachers they say I should stop."[25] In July 2019, Time magazine reported Thunberg was taking a "sabbatical year" from school, intending to travel in the Americas while meeting people from the climate movement.[27] [27]
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 08:26:10 AM »
Gee, I wish I could take a "sabbatical year".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 08:41:27 AM »
I wish more youths had her passion regardless of subject matter.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 09:15:46 AM »

I wish more youths would study and behave in school.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 09:46:08 AM »

I wish more schools actually strove to educate our yutes rather than indoctrinate them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 09:51:16 AM »

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2899330926743698&id=116999698310182&sfnsn=mo

Quote from: Mike Rowe
Three years ago, in June of 2016, I recorded a commencement speech for Prager University that was restricted on YouTube. In it, I suggested that passion - while an important element of happiness - should never be followed, in and of itself. For that reason, the video was deemed inappropriate for individuals under 18. After a week or so of strenuous complaining, You Tube relented, and deemed the video appropriate for viewers of all ages. Here's the video, now with nearly 7 million views. http://bit.ly/2RQ7iZJ

I'm posting it again, because today, new research out of Harvard indicates that every single thing I claimed to be true in my speech, three years ago, is now supported by scientific research. This doesn't mean I'm correct; it just means if I'm wrong, I'm not alone. It may also indicate a certain irresistible urge on my part, to say, "I told you so."

Mike

https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/new-harvard-research-to-be-successful-chase-your-purpose-not-your-passion.html
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 09:54:23 AM »
From Wiki...

That answers nothing as to why she's not "truant" other than that she's on "sabbatical" which I don't think is a legal provision in Sweden.
Formerly sumpnz

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 10:09:38 AM »
Why does she have to go to school? Sounds like she completed her indoctrination early.
Now if she came out wearing a MAGA hat you can bet your life they would be making sure she was back in school and possibly be pressing charges against the parents.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 10:34:43 AM »

Being silent never causes change
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 10:50:07 AM »

Putting mouth in gear without engaging brain causes the wrong kind of change. This isn't original passion - this is her being one of the lemmings, and worse, controlled by adult lemmings.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 11:03:01 AM »
Putting mouth in gear without engaging brain causes the wrong kind of change. This isn't original passion - this is her being one of the lemmings, and worse, controlled by adult lemmings.

I'm (mostly) with Jeremy Clarkson on this.  If she's really so passionate about globular woerming she needs to shut up, go back to school and study hard in math and science, and then work towards actual solutions.
Formerly sumpnz

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 11:26:34 AM »
I'm not opposed to change in general, nor do I support it as a rule.  Change is movement, not direction.  The idea of political change or stability as a universal positive is ridiculous.
For instance, change can be good good when it moves society away from tyranny, privation, and death.
Likewise, change can be outright evil when it moves society away from freedom, prosperity, and life.

Speaking as someone who remembers being 16, youthful passion is most often borne of ignorance and failure to comprehend the other side of the argument.  It does no one favors to put ignorance on a pedestal.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 01:06:37 PM »
Why isn't she being treated as a truant?  Far as I'm aware homeschooling is all but impossible to do legally in most of Europe, including Sweden.  And in Sweden schooling is compulsory until 17.

And couldn't she, at least theoretically, be charged with something like conspiracy to violate truancy laws with her vocal support of others going on "school strike"?  I realize that might play into her marytr complex, so it might not be the best plan to pursue.
Only until age of 15/have gotten through 9th grade.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2019, 01:15:40 PM »
Only until age of 15/have gotten through 9th grade.

Google lied then, apparently.  I read 7-16 (inclusive) was required to attend school.
Formerly sumpnz

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 01:48:44 PM »
Google lied then, apparently.  I read 7-16 (inclusive) was required to attend school.
They begin at age 6 now, and it is mandatory until 9th grade, which is (usually) 16, I misremembered. She was born in 2003, which should put her as having graduated 9th grade in June this year. As for her truancy from the fall of 2018, she probably had some "arrangement". Her parents are kinda famous so normal rules obviously don't apply to her.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2019, 06:46:16 PM »
Maybe the truancy laws couldn't be applied while she was out of the country? Perhaps "beyond the jurisdiction" of the authorities?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2019, 01:24:01 AM »
Maybe the truancy laws couldn't be applied while she was out of the country? Perhaps "beyond the jurisdiction" of the authorities?
When she sailed off to New York she was no longer required to be in school, if I am thinking correctly.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2019, 09:35:04 AM »
I wish more schools actually strove to educate our yutes rather than indoctrinate them.

OK, that too!   =D

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2019, 05:17:02 PM »
She didn't go to school for a year and didn't eat for three months after being depressed for years according to her dad. Many of the followup tweets pretty say what I'm thinking.

"She stopped going to school. She was basically home for a year. She didn't eat for three months."@GretaThunberg's dad opens up about his daughter's struggles with depression.

https://t.co/pdZBwWzxwA

— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) December 30, 2019

The father of Swedish environmentalist Greta Thunberg said his daughter “fell ill” years before she participated in the school strike that launched her to international fame.

Speaking with BBC’s Today program, Svante Thunberg talked about the years of isolation and depression that young Greta Thunberg endured.

“She stopped talking. She stopped eating,” Svante Thunberg, 50, told Today. “She stopped going to school. She was basically home for a year. She didn’t eat for three months.”

Greta Thunberg, 16, has spent 2019 traveling on a worldwide tour promoting her views on the dangers of climate change. She has barbed with President Trump and Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro in recent months.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/12/30/greta-thunbergs-father-tells-bbc-she-stopped-talking-didnt-eat-for-three-months-missed-a-year-of-school/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2019, 07:10:49 PM »
She didn't go to school for a year and didn't eat for three months after being depressed for years according to her dad. Many of the followup tweets pretty say what I'm thinking.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/12/30/greta-thunbergs-father-tells-bbc-she-stopped-talking-didnt-eat-for-three-months-missed-a-year-of-school/

In other words -- she's a certified whack job. Of COURSE the enviro-idiots are idolizing her. It takes one to know one.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2019, 07:19:58 PM »
Given the scenario described by the father, I hope the parents had their child evaluated by a child psychologist or psychiatrist.  Kids can die from untreated depression.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2019, 07:27:17 PM »
Given the scenario described by the father, I hope the parents had their child evaluated by a child psychologist or psychiatrist. 

I have a suspicion the parents are the source cause of her depression
- Calvin and Hobbes