Author Topic: Taurus Judge - I'm surprised!  (Read 26444 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Taurus Judge - I'm surprised!
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 12:16:30 PM »
PTK: Thanks for the gelatin testing. That's something a lot of Judge-detractors haven't produced....

Just saw this article on a FB link....note the new SD round from Cross Outdoors....may solve some of the Taurus' accuracy problems in a particularly interesting way.....

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/9240/inside-the-judges-chamber
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »
The Judge has never been a "bad" self defense gun since you can always use 45 Colt rounds in it which will get the job done.  I had just questioned how great 410 shot shells of any type are for self defense.  It sounds like there are some that are designed for pistols that can be adequate for self defense at least at short range though I have heard the spread at any sort of range makes significant hits less likely. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 12:37:44 PM »
I think part of it is the reaction to the advertising.  It does okay, but not necessarily better than other pistols that shoot pistol ammo only. 

Also, what is the shot spread at 10 yards or more?  How many pellets would hit? 

1. The judge is the most wildly inefficient handgun platform for the .45Colt that comes to mind.  Taurus has made .45Colt revolvers that are much more handy in the past.  I loved me those titanium .45 Colt snubbies.  ANd the .41mag version.

2. The .410 round is its reason for being and the .410 requirements why it is such a brick. 

3. If one is to use .410 for SD, it makes eminent sense to determine how much of the .410 payload can, under ideal circumstances, stay on target at reasonable SD ranges.  And how much penetration that fraction can manage, as buckshot shed velocity PDQ.

4. As a recreational gun, I am sure it is a hoot.  As a SD gun, it has serious flaws.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 12:39:53 PM »
Would a .410 slug round be more or less powerful than a standard .45 Colt?

Will the Judge handle "Ruger Only" .45 Colt rounds?

I've never seen it as anything much more than a snake gun.  Out here we have snakes and a lot of things worse than snakes.  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 12:43:37 PM »

The slug is way less powerful what with it being only 90 grains or so.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 12:49:38 PM »
. . . The Judge is a joke. Right. 18"+ penetration with 000 buck. Some joke. ;)

I don't think anyone has said the .410 out of a handgun is harmless - it clearly can be lethal. I've stated before that I wouldn't volunteer to stand in front of one even if it were loaded with birdshot.

But some of us have reservations about its dependability in stopping a determined bad guy with any .410 shell, and believe there are better rounds in better packages for that task.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 12:57:56 PM »

Absolutely not....the general consensus is to treat the Judge like you would a Colt SAA and load accordingly...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 12:59:22 PM »
But some of us have reservations about its dependability in stopping a determined bad guy with any .410 shell, and believe there are better rounds in better packages for that task.
But it's a shotgun!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 01:33:25 PM »
I won't say it's useless. I will say I fail to see any advantage whatsoever over a standard revolver, and a number of ways it is inferior. I just don't get why, other than "just because" or "why not."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 03:03:47 PM »
And you didn't answer my questions.  :lol:

Ten feet, bare gelatin, and to answer your next questions, 10% gel, 3.75" @ 588 fps. ;)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

PTK

• friends
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 03:08:02 PM »

I have similar reservations about FMJ in most calibers. ;)

In all seriousness though, the general thought that because not all .410 will work for SD, the idea of a .410 SD gun is negative, is incorrect. If you followed that, I halfway didn't... Anyway, what I'm saying is use the right rounds, it's plenty powerful. Use the wrong rounds, and with basically any gun, it won't work as well. I know I sure as heck don't carry whatever FMJ ammo I can find for SD - I carry top-shelf SD HPs.

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

PTK

• friends
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 03:10:07 PM »

Less powerful, and no.

Also, if you're ever in/around Bozeman/Belgrade/Manhattan, give me a PM. I've no problem with letting you try my Judge at the local range, if you'd like. :)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 03:25:01 PM »
Ten feet, bare gelatin, and to answer your next questions, 10% gel, 3.75" @ 588 fps. ;)

Seven yards, with one layer of heavy Denim, and I will concede. Not otherwise.
I promise not to duck.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 03:35:42 PM »
Done and done. This time next week, I'll have done more gel tests. So, 21', one layer of duck (a bit heavier than denim, and I have some laying around - think tan/brown Carhartt clothes, that's duck), and of course 10% gel, calibrated, and videotaped. Sound good? :)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Less powerful, and no.

Also, if you're ever in/around Bozeman/Belgrade/Manhattan, give me a PM. I've no problem with letting you try my Judge at the local range, if you'd like. :)

Thanks.

Actually, if I want to try one then I could just ask the neighbor lady who carries one for snake protection.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 04:34:01 PM »
One further thought . . . penetration alone is not an indicator of what kind of "stopper" the round is. 9mm FMJ and 110 grain .30 Carbine FMJ both have good penetration, but neither round is regarded as a "stopper."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »

Not enough detail.....you also need to tell us what you were wearing and if you were thinking of AJ at the time.....

=D

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2011, 06:27:55 PM »

Temp?  Barometer?  Humidity?

C'mon, what are you trying to hide?  ;)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2011, 06:37:54 PM »
Temp?  Barometer?  Humidity?

C'mon, what are you trying to hide?  ;)

Not to mention that he is completely glossing over any gravimetric variations in his area.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2011, 06:40:15 PM »
But what about the phase of the moon and the relation of Saturn's orbit to that of Uranus???  Clearly homework and due diligence were not done here.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2011, 06:53:33 PM »
It seems clear enough to me that he was bought off by Taurus and is now nothing more than a damn shill.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2011, 06:58:12 PM »
I bet he picks the NRA Gun of the Year, too.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2011, 11:42:25 PM »
I've been underwhelmed with the few Taurus products I've come across - a company with its issues really needs something other than a bull for a mascot. 

Thing with the judge is, this is about the most glowing review I've seen, and the performance isn't that impressive.  Maybe Jim march can come along and make a semi auto version for us.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

j3rd

• Storm Coming
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2011, 06:00:45 AM »
You'll never be happy, will you? :lol:

Anyway, I'll be doing more testing as money allows. Gelatin isn't cheap.

Thanks for the test. I know the initial investment for gel is expensive and that it's time and refrigerator space consuming, but can't you melt it down and use it again?

PTK

• friends
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2011, 01:17:47 PM »
Indeed I could, but then it wouldn't be a very good test... heating it over 115F or so makes it form a different structure than cold water as per normal routine. It's not really a good idea to reuse, but I do indeed melt it down and use it for other purposes. :)