Author Topic: "When animals talk" *NOT* "When animals attack". Rats sniffing out land-mines...  (Read 1316 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
I saw a segment tonight on I think an 'Animal Planet' production called "When animals talk" that I thought was mucho cool'o. They've trained rats to sniff out land mines. These rats were brown, so I suppose they were some species of field rats, rather than lab rats, but they were much larger than field rats than I'm familiar with, perhaps weighing up to a pound each. The handlers lay out a grid with rope, and the rats walk up and down the grid in neat lines, sniffing and "alerting" when they smell a land mine by scratching at the ground like a drug dog does to hit on a drug smelling spot.

Quite cool also, aside from the revulsion factor to rats, was the factor that these critters become "pets" of their handlers, first walking on leashes, and then following their handlers around without leashes, just on their own choice based on their training.

Who'd a thunk it? I wouldn't have figured a rat would have the brains to be trained that far.

I'm not an "animal rights" wacko by any means, certainly I don't disparage anyone from poisoning, snap-trapping or whatever their domestic vermin, but it seems almost daily I get a new charge of warm fuzzies from a different critter I thought worthless after watching another 'Animal Planet' production.

Tomorrow's post, "Meerkat manor"- now don't tell me you don't think they're cute... Sure they may be South Africa's version of prairie-dogs and a bane to farmers, but they are excessively cute..
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
it seems almost daily I get a new charge of warm fuzzies from a different critter I thought worthless

Good for you, Stand_Watie! It happens to people all the time, like the guys who thought a group of pigeons were stupid for wallowing around on an ant mound...until they learned the pigeons were picking up individual ants and using them to squirt their toxic spray on bird lice. Or the baby octopi that can figure out how to unscrew the lid off a mayonnaise jar to get at the crab meat inside when humans need to be about 2 years old to do the same thing.
I miss Animal Planet, but their show "Animal Precinct" kept breaking my heart.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Rats are cleaner than mice and other rodents, unless you catch them in NYC or London sewers.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Stand_watie

• friend
Rats are cleaner than mice and other rodents, unless you catch them in NYC or London sewers.

Your checking in, Cromlech, just reminded me I must have read the James Herriot book series 2 or 3 times when I was a youngster, I'll have to pick that up for Erica, she'll like it.

http://www.thirsk.org.uk/herriot1.html
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
You mean these guys?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3123119.stm

Tis fortunate for our kind that rats don't have opposable thumbs.  Cheesy  I'll second Cromlech's view on rats being "cleaner" them mice, at least their urine does not have the same odor that mouse urine does.  Smarter and more even tempered than most of the rodents people keep as pets.

"Meerkat manor"- now don't tell me you don't think they're cute...
And a bit scary, one can see shadows of what Meerkats could become with the right pressures and opportunities.  Being small and relatively defenseless, they make tasty snacks for predators.  They have to be smart and observant to survive.  Rather like another small, defenseless mammal that roamed the African grasslands several million years ago.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Stand_watie

• friend
You mean these guys?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3123119.stm

Tis fortunate for our kind that rats don't have opposable thumbs.  Cheesy  I'll second Cromlech's view on rats being "cleaner" them mice, at least their urine does not have the same odor that mouse urine does.  Smarter and more even tempered than most of the rodents people keep as pets.

"Meerkat manor"- now don't tell me you don't think they're cute...
And a bit scary, one can see shadows of what Meerkats could become with the right pressures and opportunities.  Being small and relatively defenseless, they make tasty snacks for predators.  They have to be smart and observant to survive.  Rather like another small, defenseless mammal that roamed the African grasslands several million years ago.

I think, Sindawe, that that bunch of mine sniffing rats must have been the same that I saw on the program I mentioned. I thought that the handlers had British accents..for sure they had (non-American or Canadian) accents that were if not British, at least offshoot British such as English (vs Dutch) South African or Australian.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Norwegian brown rats most likely?

At 13 or 14 I saw one of the most terrifying episodes of the "Twilight Zone".  It featured intelligent rats that conquered the world.  Kept me away for days pondering if I had enough .22 ammo. laugh
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
The handlers lay out a grid with rope, and the rats walk up and down the grid in neat lines, sniffing and "alerting" when they smell a land mine
Any idea how this is going to work out in the real world?  They're not going to be laying down a rope grid in a mine field, are they?