Author Topic: What size fire extinguisher for home use?  (Read 1597 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
What size fire extinguisher for home use?
« on: December 25, 2006, 04:37:35 AM »
I just noticed that my kitchen fire extinguisher's guage is showing empty, even though it's never been used, so I guess I'll get another. I've had it since I got married in 1994 to I guess I got my money's worth out of it.

Anyway, it's a "KIDDE", about a pint size. I've got another "KIDDE" about a quart size in the living room, anybody think these are large enough, or should we upgrade to bigger ones, such as those used commercially? Space is a factor.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Preacherman

Re: What size fire extinguisher for home use?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 04:50:44 AM »
The small "domestic" extinguishers have a spotty record of reliability.  Some work fine, others don't - but you won't find out which you have until you either test it (in which case you have to replace it anyway) or until you really, really need it!  shocked

I'd suggest the smaller "commercial" or "office"-type extinguishers.  They're not that much more expensive, but they're much more reliable.  For example, see http://www.kidde-fire.com/utcfs/ws-465/Assets/kffextinguisherabcdatasheet.pdf (requires Adobe Acrobat reader).  These and similar extinguishers are sold in Wal-Mart and elsewhere for about $30-$40.

If you do go for the disposable domestic or auto types, I'd strongly recommend more than one.  I have three of them in different rooms, as well as a couple of the larger ones.  If one of the small ones fails, I'm not far from a replacement!
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 05:44:49 AM »
I have a 10 pounder in the pantry off the kitchen, and 2.5 pounders in the upstairs and the basement.

I need to replace the one in the pantry as it's leaking down.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 06:14:34 AM »
my paranoia about fire is great  i did fire restoration ork. eirie stuff. i've got a suba tank sized beat near ood stove and one in kitchen all bedrooms have the med size ones under bed.
one thing an old fire chief suggested that is fairly cheap as i wired a smoke detector into the loop in the attic and another in the crawl space  along with co detectors and explosive gas detectors anywhere the propane runs . the co one went off warned me my stove pipe had rusted through

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 06:51:50 AM »
10 pounder in the kitchen and 3 each 2.5 pounders in the bedroom, office and garage. 

I'd like to grab another 10 pounder for the garage sooner or later.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 12:02:02 PM »
Forget the Kidde extinguishers. After a few years, they just go "fwwwt."

We have a ten-pounder on each floor, and one in the gargage.

This thread got me to remember to call the extinguisher company to have them come out and check them.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 07:16:54 AM »
As big as you can afford. No one has ever said "gee I brought to much ammo to this gunfight" or "damn, I can't believe I had too much fire extinguisher."  Consider a portable 5 gallon foam extinguisher too, powder is good, but for most of home burnables foam is way better.

You know that sound as you portable car fire extinguisher runs out? No, not that fading fwwwttt sound, but that steady humming... of the fuel pump still running, pouring fuel out of the melted fuel line, down the block, over the hot exhaust and puddling around the front tire. I nearly had those people's car put out, no visible flame, I just turned and walked away, about 50ft behind me the tire blew up. Car burned to the ground.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 07:37:58 AM »
You definitely need a .357 Mag or .40 cal or larger.  I would go with a 12 guage. 

MN_Strelok

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 01:57:57 PM »
I agree with the advice to avoid "consumer" extinguishers. Try to find a fire supply company in your area. You'll be better off with something that can be recharged and pressure tested every few years than with something you'll just throw away.

Look for one that's at least 5 pounds. 10 pounds is great if you've got the space.

You may also want to give your local fire department a call. We put on extinguisher training a couple times a year, and the participants can practice putting out actual fires. Practice is always good.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a PSA: Test your smoke detectors, change the batteries, buy a CO/explosive gas detector*, don't leave a running stove unattended, have an escape plan, etc.

* If your CO detector is 10+ years old, toss it and buy a new one. We get a lot of false alarms from old CO detectors.

Of course, I just spent the past two hours using a big, red fire extinguisher with flashing lights. That's probably out of your price range though.  grin

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 03:46:56 PM »
Walk down to the local firehouse and ask.  They'll have a good recommendation.  Half the time, they'll give you one, and I haven't found a firehouse that won't charge it for free.  I use a five-pounder CO2 that I got when a company I worked for closed, and I get the boys down at the station to fill it up every year.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 06:50:22 PM »
Walk down to the local firehouse and ask.  They'll have a good recommendation.  Half the time, they'll give you one, and I haven't found a firehouse that won't charge it for free.  I use a five-pounder CO2 that I got when a company I worked for closed, and I get the boys down at the station to fill it up every year.

That sounds like the best suggestion so far to me. I live wa'ay out in the country, with the nearest firebarn about six miles away, but despite the distance, I'm going to stop by there and ask for a recommendation in buying my household fire extinguishers.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 06:52:56 PM »
Drive - shouldn't be very far that way.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife