Author Topic: Finally bought a Windows 10 laptop  (Read 2707 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Finally bought a Windows 10 laptop
« on: February 11, 2018, 05:05:28 PM »
I'm not a fan of Windows 10 but figured I needed to learn it.  I bought an Acer Aspire A515-51 for $450 from Walmart.  That's not much more than I've been paying for used Thinkpads, and I got a new battery this way.  I nearly bought one of these for Wife when her HDD died a week or two ago.

I haven't figured out how much of the crapware I can remove, but I have removed a lot of it.  I tried doing a "reset" to get a clean MS install without any Acer stuff, but the install hung at 1% and so I backed it out.  (wasn't sure I'd be able to)

I was pleased that this laptop will play Civilization 6.  My old one with very similar specs but an earlier version of Intel integrated graphics won't load it.  Then Windows Update said I was on an old driver build reaching end of life and needed to upgrade.  (I think it's the 1607 build and it wanted me on 1709)  After the upgrade, Civ 6 stopped working.  It loads, but then when the game actually starts the picture loses sync or something.  So I rolled back to 1607, and I changed my network connection to "metered" to keep it from automatically upgrading again.  I also took a Win 7-type image backup so I can get back to this version if I have to.

I don't care for the new start menu, but even worse (I think this is an Acer thing, not MS) is the buttonless track pad.  But I'm kinda getting used to it.

We have an old Sharp multifunction printer; model AL-1655CS.  It's the printer my wife uses.  Sharp barely acknowledges now that they ever made one with that model number.  They have a Windows XP-64, 8, and 7 driver, but don't claim support for Windows 10.  The installer fails halfway thru the install on 10.  So I tried sharing the printer from a Win 7 desktop and I turned off the checkbox that said something like "render on client".  I connected to it from the new machine and it printed a test page.  It installed some driver software and it printed just fine.  Perhaps if I check the renderer box again it will install the rest of the printer driver and I can create a local port on the W10 system and not need an intermediate server.  But if not, this shared-printer arrangement is better than I thought I'd get working.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Finally bought a Windows 10 laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:51:49 PM »
I haven't figured out how much of the crapware I can remove, but I have removed a lot of it.  I tried doing a "reset" to get a clean MS install without any Acer stuff, but the install hung at 1% and so I backed it out.  (wasn't sure I'd be able to)

10 is actually pretty easy to do a clean install with.  It's about on par (any more) with a good end user oriented Linux, for ease of install.  Google on "windows 10 media creation tool".  Microsoft tool that will make a bootable USB key with the current win10 on it.  Boot, wipe, reinstall.  When it's all done, use Edge to go to ninite.com and download a real browser, and whatever other tools you feel like.

With 10 I very seldom need to go digging for drivers.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 08:07:10 PM »
I'm not a fan of Windows 10 but figured I needed to learn it.  I bought an Acer Aspire A515-51 for $450 from Walmart.  That's not much more than I've been paying for used Thinkpads, and I got a new battery this way.  I nearly bought one of these for Wife when her HDD died a week or two ago.

I was pleased that this laptop will play Civilization 6.  My old one with very similar specs but an earlier version of Intel integrated graphics won't load it.  Then Windows Update said I was on an old driver build reaching end of life and needed to upgrade.  (I think it's the 1607 build and it wanted me on 1709)  After the upgrade, Civ 6 stopped working.  It loads, but then when the game actually starts the picture loses sync or something.  So I rolled back to 1607, and I changed my network connection to "metered" to keep it from automatically upgrading again.  I also took a Win 7-type image backup so I can get back to this version if I have to.

I don't care for the new start menu, but even worse (I think this is an Acer thing, not MS) is the buttonless track pad.  But I'm kinda getting used to it.

We have an old Sharp multifunction printer; model AL-1655CS.  It's the printer my wife uses.  Sharp barely acknowledges now that they ever made one with that model number.  They have a Windows XP-64, 8, and 7 driver, but don't claim support for Windows 10.  The installer fails halfway thru the install on 10.  So I tried sharing the printer from a Win 7 desktop and I turned off the checkbox that said something like "render on client".  I connected to it from the new machine and it printed a test page.  It installed some driver software and it printed just fine.  Perhaps if I check the renderer box again it will install the rest of the printer driver and I can create a local port on the W10 system and not need an intermediate server.  But if not, this shared-printer arrangement is better than I thought I'd get working.

I have a Toshiba Satellite that came with Windows 8.1. I figured anything must be an improvement over 8.1, so I recently upgraded it to Windows 10. I run it with Windows Classic Shell (a freeware add-on) and that makes it almost palatable. Overall, though, I still much prefer Windows 7. (And, yes, I prefer XP to Windows 7, but that ship done sailed.)

I also have an old Sharp multifunction printer, but mine is even older than yours. Mine is an AL- 1641CS. Sharp denies all knowledge of such a machine, and there are no drivers for anything newer than Windows XP. So I hang onto my old Toshiba notebook with XP just to have something that will work with the printer. I winder if your drivers for the 1655 would work with the 1641 ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 08:25:25 PM »
I have a Toshiba Satellite that came with Windows 8.1. I figured anything must be an improvement over 8.1, so I recently upgraded it to Windows 10. I run it with Windows Classic Shell (a freeware add-on) and that makes it almost palatable. Overall, though, I still much prefer Windows 7. (And, yes, I prefer XP to Windows 7, but that ship done sailed.)

I also have an old Sharp multifunction printer, but mine is even older than yours. Mine is an AL- 1641CS. Sharp denies all knowledge of such a machine, and there are no drivers for anything newer than Windows XP. So I hang onto my old Toshiba notebook with XP just to have something that will work with the printer. I winder if your drivers for the 1655 would work with the 1641 ...

PM me your email address and I'll send the driver to you.
"It's good, though..."

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 06:52:14 AM »
I am going to run this Toshiba lap top with Windows 7 until it dies.  I have decided to go with a MAC when that happens.  I'm not a computer guy, and don't want to learn..

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 08:10:36 AM »
I am going to run this Toshiba lap top with Windows 7 until it dies.  I have decided to go with a MAC when that happens.  I'm not a computer guy, and don't want to learn..

I find Mac more "different" compared to Win7 than Win10.  Unless you're already using Mac, you're going to be learning something.

Chris

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 11:11:42 AM »
Gmail won't let me attach an executable file.  I tried changing the extension from .zip to .doh and they figured it out  :lol:  So I tried sending the file from Spectrum's webmail, but don't know if it can handle an attachment that big.  If it doesn't work I will upload the Sharp drivers to Google drive, make them public, and post a link.

The big company I work for recently changed directions; they are moving everyone from PC's to Macbooks.  If you want Windows you have to justify it; it used to be the other way around.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 01:58:56 PM »
I am going to run this Toshiba lap top with Windows 7 until it dies.  I have decided to go with a MAC when that happens.  I'm not a computer guy, and don't want to learn..

From someone who's has to deal with multiple folks who've done just that, don't. Please don't. Oh dear gawd please don't. The effort you put in up front to switch to 10 is minuscule compared to the day-to-day hell of trying to get a Mac to do something, anything, outside of Apple's version of what they think you should do.

To the OP's issue of drivers... Some mfg's Win10 drivers just don't seem to play nice with the W10 auto-installer. Or they just got lazy and didn't even try to make it compatible. I've had a couple of things where I had to download the driver from the mfg's web site and run a manual install, but only a handful. They all seem to have worked fine since.

Also, for some reason Windows seems to want to default to mobile mode on any laptop install. Manually set it to desktop mode and it's close enough to a traditional Windows interface that it greatly reduces the learning curve. FYI... if you have a touch screen the mobile mode is actually pretty decent once you're used to it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 02:18:41 PM »
From someone who's has to deal with multiple folks who've done just that, don't. Please don't. Oh dear gawd please don't. The effort you put in up front to switch to 10 is minuscule compared to the day-to-day hell of trying to get a Mac to do something, anything, outside of Apple's version of what they think you should do.

To the OP's issue of drivers... Some mfg's Win10 drivers just don't seem to play nice with the W10 auto-installer. Or they just got lazy and didn't even try to make it compatible. I've had a couple of things where I had to download the driver from the mfg's web site and run a manual install, but only a handful. They all seem to have worked fine since.

Also, for some reason Windows seems to want to default to mobile mode on any laptop install. Manually set it to desktop mode and it's close enough to a traditional Windows interface that it greatly reduces the learning curve. FYI... if you have a touch screen the mobile mode is actually pretty decent once you're used to it.

Where is this setting?  Don't know if this one is set to mobile or laptop, but it does not have a touch screen.  (the computer is at home and I'm at work so I can't check to see what it 's set to right now; maybe it's obvious)
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 02:24:36 PM »
Where is this setting?  Don't know if this one is set to mobile or laptop, but it does not have a touch screen.  (the computer is at home and I'm at work so I can't check to see what it 's set to right now; maybe it's obvious)

Windows button-> Settings gear-> System -> Tablet mode from the list on the left hand side of the window.

There will be a drop down that under "When I Sign in" that lets you choose "Use appropriate mode for my Hardware" "Use Desktop Mode", or "Use Tablet mode".

You can also make it ask you before it switches modes.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 02:24:41 PM »
IIRC it's in START > SETTINGS >SYSTEM. Scroll until you get to "Tablet Mode" and toggle it off.

edit to add... Looks like dogmush beat me to it.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
I find Mac more "different" compared to Win7 than Win10.  Unless you're already using Mac, you're going to be learning something.

Chris
I use iPhone and iPad already.  I realize there will be a learning curve, but at least I won't have to put up with the silly crap described in this thread.   :)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 09:43:38 AM »
I use iPhone and iPad already.  I realize there will be a learning curve, but at least I won't have to put up with the silly crap described in this thread.   :)

Iphone and Ipad are more different compared to OSX than Win7 is to Win10 (wife has an Iphone, Thing 2 has an Ipod Touch, I've owned and used an OSX computer).  That's like saying you know Windows because you have a Windows Phone (I have a Windows phone too).  The silly crap described above sounds worse on paper than it is in reality.  It took me virtually no time to "learn" Win10 as it's closer to Win7 than even Win8 is.  Ultimately, it's your decision, but you'll notice the level of effort to go from 7 to 10 is far less than the effort to go from Win-anything to OSX. 

Personally, I'd just make the jump to Linux at that point.  You at least have the benefit of using commonly available off the shelf hardware with a no (or low) cost OS.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 09:50:49 AM »
Iphone and Ipad are more different compared to OSX than Win7 is to Win10 (wife has an Iphone, Thing 2 has an Ipod Touch, I've owned and used an OSX computer).  That's like saying you know Windows because you have a Windows Phone (I have a Windows phone too).  The silly crap described above sounds worse on paper than it is in reality.  It took me virtually no time to "learn" Win10 as it's closer to Win7 than even Win8 is.  Ultimately, it's your decision, but you'll notice the level of effort to go from 7 to 10 is far less than the effort to go from Win-anything to OSX. 

Personally, I'd just make the jump to Linux at that point.  You at least have the benefit of using commonly available off the shelf hardware with a no (or low) cost OS.

Chris

I agree with all that. Plus, whether it will happen or not, there's been a bit of speculation on if Apple will still be investing in what we know as the "standard computer" at all. Personally, I would go Linux before I went PC-Mac or Mac-PC.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 10:02:42 AM »
I've several interwebz speck-you-lashuns that Apple is considering dumping the HFS+ file system and going to NTFS. Don't know if it's because they're trying take another step into being more "integrated" into the business community, or if it's the result of some inherent restriction of HFS+.

Brad
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 11:00:00 AM »
I've several interwebz speck-you-lashuns that Apple is considering dumping the HFS+ file system and going to NTFS. Don't know if it's because they're trying take another step into being more "integrated" into the business community, or if it's the result of some inherent restriction of HFS+.

Brad

My 2 or 3 year old Chromebook (a cheap one) can read and write to a NTFS disk just fine.  I was surprised that it can create and delete files.  Probably can't format NTFS, but I haven't tried.  If Apple can only read and not update NTFS, it's because they want that limitation.
"It's good, though..."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Finally bought a Windows 10 laptop
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 08:43:39 AM »
I use iPhone and iPad already.  I realize there will be a learning curve, but at least I won't have to put up with the silly crap described in this thread.   :)
No. But windows ten is quite minimal is silly crap. Microsoft actually learned from the windows 8 flustercluck.

Instead you'll be dealing with a much larger learning g curve with infinitely more sillyness coupled with overpriced hardware.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.