Author Topic: When Your Only Tool is Coercion, Every Problem Looks Like Too Much Freedom  (Read 10337 times)

MechAg94

• friend
http://carolinajournal.com/jhdailyjournal/display_jhdailyjournal.html?id=4675
I thought this was an interesting read.  Any locals care to comment?

By Dr. Roy Cordato

March 28, 2008

This weeks Daily Journal guest columnist is Dr. Roy Cordato, Vice President for Research and Resident Scholar at the John Locke Foundation.

There is a famous saying that when the only tool you have is a hammer every problem look like a nail. For politicians, bureaucrats, and many activists when the only tool they have is coercion the cause of every problem looks like too much freedom. And make no mistake; if you are committed to accomplishing your social goals by using government power, then, by definition, your only tool is the hammer of coercion.

As George Washington pointed out in his second inaugural address: "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force." And when people choose to use government to accomplish their goals they are choosing to use force, not reason and certainly not eloquence.

Even in America, a country founded on the principle of freedom, when peaceful means fail people have always turned to the coercive powers of the state to get others to change their behavior. Slavery and later Jim Crow laws had their roots in just such a mentality. So did the military draft, compulsory school attendance laws, prohibition, anti-smoking and anti-drug laws, minimum wage laws, price control laws, anti-sodomy laws, and anti-cohabitation laws. In each of these cases a social or economic problem of some kind was defined, often erroneously, which is probably why reason failed, and the root cause of the problem was identified as too much freedom.

True to form, governments at all levels in North Carolina are affirming George Washingtons observation. The latest example is the city of Raleighs approach to solving its water shortage problems. If a local grocery stores produce department runs out of oranges or its deli experiences a shortage of roast beef, it doesnt blame its customer for having too much freedom to purchase fruit and meat. It simply finds a way to accommodate that freedom and to meet the demand.

The city of Raleigh, because of a complete government failure to plan for the needs of its citizens, finds itself running short of water, one of only a handful of goods, relative to a grocery store, that it is charged with supplying to its customers. Its response is to blame its customers for having too much freedom  freedom to water their lawns, freedom to wash their cars, freedom to power-wash their homes, and now the freedom to enjoy the conveniences of a garbage disposal. Instead of city politicians asking themselves how can we accommodate our citizens free choices, as the grocery store would, they immediately blame the problem on those freedoms. This is their nail, and their solution is the hammer of force. No surprise to our first president.

City and local transportation planners have for years been faced with having to deal with traffic congestion problems in and around North Carolinas larger cities. Traffic congestion is very much like the water shortage problem. In this case it is a shortage of road space. And like Raleighs water shortage problem, this is an example of massive government failure in its ability to service adequately the free choices made by citizens with regard to their transportation needs. And, like the water shortage, the cause of the problem is, of course, too much freedom. With respect to traffic congestion, the wielders of force are convinced that people are exercising too much freedom in using their cars. And, instead of better managing the supply of roads, they have adopted a policy known as transportation demand management, which is a euphemism for managing what would otherwise be peoples freely made choices. According to the North Carolina Department of Transportation:

Transportation demand management (TDM) is&intended to encourage the use of alternatives to driving alone, increasing the efficiency of the transportation system by focusing on travel demand instead of supply. Most TDM strategies deal with the modification of travel behaviors& (Emphasis added.) (pdf link)

This primarily means forcing people out of their cars, either directly or through artificial incentives, and onto public transportation. But this is feasible only when living densities are high, so not only does freedom to make transportation decisions need to be modified, but so also does freedom to choose living arrangements. Along with transportation demand management comes housing demand management and land use demand management.

In order to accommodate public transportation systems and to discourage driving, the plans include new zoning laws that attempt to cram people into congested living arrangements, with dozens of housing units per acre, in order to solve a problem of congested roads. As the DOT bureaucrats in Raleigh candidly acknowledge, the vision extends far beyond public transportation. It embraces notions of how we want to live in the 21st Century and what we want our neighborhoods and communities to become. (Emphasis added.) It is quite clear that the we being referred to is not individual citizens and families. It is instead the paternalistic we of bureaucrats and government planners.

In terms of the current public policy debate, probably the most pernicious example of George Washingtons dictum is the 56 policy proposals that have been offered up by North Carolinas Climate Action Plan Advisory Group (CAPAG). The entire purpose of CAPAG was to find ways in which the citizens of the state could be forced to modify their behavior in order to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

While there are competing theories regarding the causes of global warming (for example see research by Duke physicist Niccola Scapatta and Bruce West), CAPAG was not allowed even to discuss any of them or to consult with the scientists advocating them. This would be important because other theories, such as those related to natural climate variation, would not imply coercive restrictions on peoples freedom.

In other words, the only theory of global warming they were willing to consider was the one that has freedom as the culprit. It is important to note that everything humans do, including breathing, emits carbon dioxide. The implication then was that all actions taken by North Carolina citizens were up for scrutiny and possible coercive control. The proposals are consistent with the mindset of coercion. They include, but are not limited to, restrictions on peoples freedom to choose the kinds of cars they can drive, the kind of fuel they can use to heat and light their homes, the kind of auto insurance they are allowed to buy, the lot size they can use to build a house, the size of the house they build, and the kinds of appliances they can purchase.

The interesting  and undisputed  fact is that these restrictions will not result in an overall reduction in global temperatures, even if the whole world adopts them. Yet CAPAG refused to take this into consideration during its deliberations. This fact was and is known to those who controlled the CAPAG process and devised all of the policy proposals.

The unfortunate implication is that these proposals are not really about global warming but are, instead, an exercise that could be called appropriately lifestyle imperialism. Like laws against homosexuality or gambling, they are, in fact, an attempt to legislate morality.

Given the principles behind the founding of the United States, policymakers need to view individual freedom as a moral imperative. They should first realize that it is not the fundamental role of the state to solve all conceivable problems but to protect liberty. To the extent that the state takes on a problem-solving role or the role of providing certain goods and services, the question that decision makers should ask themselves continuously is how can we conduct our business and solve collective problems, without limiting peoples freedom to live their lives the way they see fit? Instead, it is quite clear that for many if not most bureaucrats and policymakers, the first question asked is not how can we accomplish our objective while accommodating freedom but what freedoms can we get away with limiting.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
NOT a local, however, I'll point out that when you're providing an apparently free service(in the form of roads), usage will tend to be overwhelming.

Roads DO have a marginal cost, and in many cases expansion of capacity to allow the people their choice would be exceedingly expensive - look at the 'big dig'.

Take a four lane highway that's 'over capacity' in the city.  Speeds are slow, pollution is high, etc...  Estimates are such that you need a six or even an eight lane to meet the required traffic load.  You, as a road planner look at the area and find:

Most of the length of the highway has too narrow of a margin to support expansion to a six lane.  Your options at this point is to either buy(at inflated prices) enough land on either side, extremely pricy because it's already developed.  Or you can look at going split level - having miles long elevated highways or going underground.  Either way, $$$.

It's like the situation power companies get into sometimes - it's cheaper to pay somebody to reduce usage than to increase supply to meet the expanded demand.

At that point alternatives start looking good because they're so much cheaper.

The Annoyed Man

I don't see a problem.  Water is a common, finite resource.  People exercised their freedom to use too much of it, wasting it on lawns, carwashing, etc.   They failed to conserve and now there's a shortage.  It's a self inflicted problem and now the adults have to step in and lay down some rules. 

I especially like this:

If a local grocery stores produce department runs out of oranges or its deli experiences a shortage of roast beef, it doesnt blame its customer for having too much freedom to purchase fruit and meat. It simply finds a way to accommodate that freedom and to meet the demand.

What does this idiot expect the city to do? manufacture water? 

This is the typical selfish self centered me first consumerist attitude that inevitably brings more government regulation for jerks like this to complain about.

Manedwolf

• friend
Funny, I thought they ran out of water because of too much population in one area using too much water.

Iain

• friend
While there are competing theories regarding the causes of global warming (for example see research by Duke physicist Niccola Scapatta and Bruce West), CAPAG was not allowed even to discuss any of them or to consult with the scientists advocating them. This would be important because other theories, such as those related to natural climate variation, would not imply coercive restrictions on peoples freedom.

So we should consider every possible nonsense theory when making any decision. Like it or not Dr. Cordato, rightly or wrongly there is one dominant scientific position at the moment...

In other words, the only theory of global warming they were willing to consider was the one that has freedom as the culprit. It is important to note that everything humans do, including breathing, emits carbon dioxide.
...and it seems like you hardly begin to understand it. I do like to see the 'stop breathing' implication, it shows who has a grasp on the basics and who does not.

Carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, emitted by humans as the supposed cause, not some hyperbole about freedom.

The interesting  and undisputed  fact is that these restrictions will not result in an overall reduction in global temperatures, even if the whole world adopts them. Yet CAPAG refused to take this into consideration during its deliberations. This fact was and is known to those who controlled the CAPAG process and devised all of the policy proposals.

Never heard of mitigation Dr Cordato?

The unfortunate implication is that these proposals are not really about global warming but are, instead, an exercise that could be called appropriately lifestyle imperialism. Like laws against homosexuality or gambling, they are, in fact, an attempt to legislate morality.

Err, not really. Is preventing companies dumping toxic waste in to the water supply purely a matter of morality?

Perhaps when your only obsession is some notion of freedom (to do whatever I want it seems) then every problem looks like a problem of not enough freedom.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

The Annoyed Man

Now, if the water were 'privately owned', that owner could/would increase the price as much as he wanted.   Residents would pay a fortune just to get enough water for cooking and bathing and toilet flushing.  Their property values would drop, and they'd suffer economic ruin.  Another reason why government regulation is necessary.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Gotta agree, I'm just not tracking with the author of this article, at all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

johnster999

Supermarkets generally don't spend millions to expand their stores when they are barely able to fill existing shelves with products. That's exactly what cities do in the US all the time. Issue lots of building permits, encourage massive real estate developments to expand their tax base, allow every scrap of available space to be built on, resulting in a crisis when the roads get crowded, pollution rises, and resources get scarce.

MechAg94

• friend
There is a big difference between the free market causing the price to increase in the face of limited supply and the Govt passing laws to regulate use.  Since it is essentially a monopoly, it is not apples to apples though. 

And roads are not free.  Lots and lots of taxes are paid in different ways to pay for roads.  If you want to change the way they are paid for, fine, but they aren't free. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
Supermarkets generally don't spend millions to expand their stores when they are barely able to fill existing shelves with products. That's exactly what cities do in the US all the time. Issue lots of building permits, encourage massive real estate developments to expand their tax base, allow every scrap of available space to be built on, resulting in a crisis when the roads get crowded, pollution rises, and resources get scarce.
They also like to encourage a vibrant downtown with lots of businesses so everyone has to drive there to work.

MechAg94

• friend
The highlighted statement struck a cord with me I guess.  I have heard people accuse the right of attempting to legislate morality, but in a lot of cases, the left does exactly the same thing, just with their own pseudo-religious ideas.  The global warming/CO2 stuff fits that better than water supply/use issues. 

But I guess I am wrong since Iain assures me that global warming is a fact and all the detractors are hopeless fools. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
What does this idiot expect the city to do? manufacture water?

Hmmm, I'm looking at my kids globe and notice that majority of this planet is covered with "blue stuff".

In doing a little checking around the intrawebz, I found out that the most abundant chemical on Earth is something called H20.  

A little more searching and I found something called 'reverse osmosis'.

Now if we can build a pipeline from one side of Alaska to the other, couldn't we do the same with water, from say the Pacific to Colorado, Arizona, etc. ??

Anyone want to invest in the "Scout26 Water Pipeline Company" ??   grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
I don't see a problem.  Water is a common, finite resource.  People exercised their freedom to use too much of it, wasting it on lawns, carwashing, etc. 

If you don't wash your cars and water your lawn, El T'll say you're a cheeto-munching, basement-living Ron Paul supporter (who pocket-carries).

Scout, you're being ridiculous. What's called for is a canal to the Great Lakes. Using the ocean would kill the whales.

Iain

• friend
But I guess I am wrong since Iain assures me that global warming is a fact and all the detractors are hopeless fools. 

In this instance that isn't the point. Pollution is a far better analogy than moral issues such as homosexuality. If it turns out that human beings are having a negative impact on the climate than that isn't purely a moral issue, the repercussions will not be strictly moral. It is more closely analogous to wanton, unrestricted pollution of any other kind.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

AZRedhawk44

• friends
I don't see a problem.  Water is a common, finite resource.  People exercised their freedom to use too much of it, wasting it on lawns, carwashing, etc.   They failed to conserve and now there's a shortage.  It's a self inflicted problem and now the adults have to step in and lay down some rules. 

Paddy, this is the nuttiest thing I've ever heard.

Water doesn't disappear.

Washing a truck or watering a lawn doesn't consume any more water than taking a shower.  It all ends up back in the ocean, to be evaporated into storms that then bring it back to the high country, down the river and into your city treatment system.

Problem is... the city doesn't want to buy faster pumps.  That's your shortage right there.

So...  revenues climb as folks pay their $0.005 per gallon of water (or whatever).  That system was spec'ed decades ago to accomodate  a 100% growth of the existing population.  Spin forward 20 years, and that money has been "reallocated" to other social services.  The money that paid to create the system is no longer available to expand it, so they jack the cost of the water to attempt to reduce demand.

Demand doesn't drop, and so good old gubmint looks at coercion instead.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Actually, I'm guessing that Paddy lives downstream.

And that the folks upstream are starting to remove more water, so less is available to actually make it to his spigot. The flow in a river or stream or pipe -is- finite.

Now, if people were intelligent, they'd cease to issue new construction (only replacement construction) permits in the LA area. Encourage people to move elsewhere.

Instead, they've got themselves a localized water-famine waiting to happen. And they're likely going to attempt to appease the LARGE voting public there by taking water, with force, from the folks to their east.

Blog under construction

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
What's called for is a canal to the Great Lakes. Using the ocean would kill the whales.

So we'd need to build a canal over the Mississippi and maybe the Missouri Rivers ??  rolleyes

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
So we'd need to build a canal over the Mississippi and maybe the Missouri Rivers ??

Of course. It would need to reach Detroit (to help the auto workers), perhaps Knoxville.  grin

Firethorn

• friend
Now, if the water were 'privately owned', that owner could/would increase the price as much as he wanted.   Residents would pay a fortune just to get enough water for cooking and bathing and toilet flushing.  Their property values would drop, and they'd suffer economic ruin.  Another reason why government regulation is necessary.

Generally speaking, long before that happened various reactions to this would result in such things as fewer people moving to the area because it's too expensive for water.  In addition, various other commercial and private industries would notice the opportunity to provide cheaper water through whatever means.

Unless special circumstances apply - such as it's actually that expensive to provide water, in which case you don't want people moving there, indeed, you need people to leave or become water neutral.

Long before that, though there are MANY options that can be done - driving obsessive lawn-waterers bankrupt, for example.  That'll save a LOT of water in many areas.  A good option would be a desalination plant, there's even the option to recycle sewage back into drinkable water.  It just takes some real pain to get over people's squeamishness.

Look at electricity combined with our desire for clean air and water, CO2 reduction*, increasing electricity demands.  For the first time in years we're looking at building more nuclear plants as a result.  When the pressure gets high enough, stuff will happen.

In general, I can agree with the subject line, however the author fails to make good points.  For every action, whether it be government or citizen, there are consequences, costs.  Just like the 'right to housing**', traffic and water are physical manifestations.  Each extra lane, to accommodate the 'freedom to drive' costs money.  Each extra gallon costs money, sometimes quite a lot of money in some areas that have been suffering from drought for years.

Personally, I like the 'freedom to pursue happiness' - You have the right to try to become happy, but whether or not you can obtain it depends on the sweat of your brow in many cases.  Want a hot car?  Work for it.  Want to drive like a lunatic even when gas is $20/gallon?  Sure, if you can earn the money to afford it, just don't expect uncle sam to subsidize your fun as a matter of course.

On the freedom end, I think that services and goods should be pretty much unrestrained by the government as long as their usage doesn't imping on the rights of others.  I say it this way because I like the aforementioned clean air, thus think that pollution control requirements on vehicles aren't automatically evil.

*I might not agree, but it's a factor.
**Where EVERYBODY is guarenteed some minimum level of living quarters whether they're able or even willing to pay for it.  Also applies to other 'rights' that require taking from others to provide it if you're unwilling/unable to work to obtain it yourself.

Ned Hamford

• friend
Well, if we have enough of that 'free electricity' why don't we just make a giant dehumidfier?
 grin
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

MechAg94

• friend
My aunt lives near Tucson, AZ.  In her neighborhood, they are next to a start or national park.  They cannot plant anything that isn't natural to the area.  So their yard is rock and cactus.  It looks nice and certainly fits into the area.  In the desert, I can't imagine doing much different.

Firethorn

• friend
My aunt lives near Tucson, AZ.  In her neighborhood, they are next to a start or national park.  They cannot plant anything that isn't natural to the area.  So their yard is rock and cactus.  It looks nice and certainly fits into the area.  In the desert, I can't imagine doing much different.

In her area, maybe.  However, I'm aware that there are people who are obsessive about their kentucky bluegrass, even when it's a incredibly bad choice, only sustainable through relatively massive amounts of watering and chemical usage.

Chief Squattanpoo

Raleigh is missing the most obvious solution: all they have to do is shut down that evil nuclear power plant and then they can drink its manmade coolant water source, Lake Harris. Once the lake is lapped up, they can sit thirsty in the dark, smug and vainglorious in the knowledge that they have thwarted twin vices of civilization in a single progressive masterstroke.

In the meantime, City Hall can pass the Odeur de Paris Ordinance in which water will be conserved by outlawing bath soap.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Nice post!  Welcome.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

outerlimit

I wonder if he considers usury laws an attempt to legislate morality.