Author Topic: Russian RVs!  (Read 7514 times)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Russian RVs!
« on: August 06, 2009, 11:30:01 PM »
http://englishrussia.com/?p=2648
Russian version of anything is cool.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
Re: Russian RVs!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 03:37:05 AM »
Off road RVs are a great idea. The closest American thing I can think of would be one of those truck campers attached to a 4WD pickup.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:50:38 AM »
Why do the Russians seem to have all the cool stuff lately?.....even their egocentric communist dictator is cooler than ours.....  =(
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
The American version?
http://www.sportsmobile.com/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 08:48:31 AM »

Road-legal MTLB. Will the wonders never end?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:54:48 AM »
There are some cool american modded camper Mog radio trucks

and the full size expedition campers are very beefy
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 08:57:52 AM »
There are some cool american modded camper Mog radio trucks

and the full size expedition campers are very beefy

Mogs are cool, but are really slow on the highway.  Also, they don't handle deep mud very well, not enough HP.

That was before it got stuck in a pit  :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 09:41:24 AM »
That looks similar to a "Deuce and a half" with an expando unit on it. Probably available courtesy of uncle sam if you shop around.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 10:11:08 AM »
Those are awesome.

I got to drive an MTLB at the NTC once.  It was pretty cool.

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 10:26:47 AM »
That looks similar to a "Deuce and a half" with an expando unit on it. Probably available courtesy of uncle sam if you shop around.

would one of these work? http://www.easternsurplus.net/491.html  This one might be a bit on the heavy side.  http://www.easternsurplus.net/491.html  A friend of mine in college was from Holland and had a late 1950s Hanomog radio truck that they brought with them when they came to the US.

Tim

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 10:43:06 AM »
Russian Re-entry Vehicles?

(First thing I thought when I saw the thread title, sorry...) ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 11:05:33 AM »
Why do the Russians seem to have all the cool stuff lately?.....even their egocentric communist dictator is cooler than ours.....  =(

Because they don't let their enviro-nazis vote. Could you imagine the outcry if one (or a caravan) of those things was seen disturbing nature in a National Park or Forest here? I doubt CA would even allow them as street legal for registration.

I would love to own one.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 02:58:27 PM »
Guys, you only think those are cool because you haven't been closer to it than the picture. For instance, the first truck, the GAZ-66, has the shifter placed so that you need to have your arm broken in two places and set in a special way to reach it. Many of the other older trucks have no power steering, so you have to be Popeye the Sailor to drive them.

As far as regulations... The severity of Russian laws is compensated by lax enforcement. Sounds fun, but it works both ways.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 03:29:32 PM »
Off road RVs are a great idea. The closest American thing I can think of would be one of those truck campers attached to a 4WD pickup.
I don't think these are off-road. I suspect Russian roads are just that bad.  :laugh:

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »

Apparently this is what Russia uses for snow removal.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 03:44:55 PM »
I don't think these are off-road. I suspect Russian roads are just that bad.  :laugh:

I was reffering to the capability of the vehicles. I know Russian roads are bad.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=315
http://englishrussia.com/?p=3170

That's part of the reason a guy modded this 8 wheeler.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=1779

Cool. Got a link that describes the way they're used? They look like jet engines to me.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 05:44:22 PM »
http://cache-foo-08.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/4/2009/08/504x_546u46rurthdfd.jpg

Those look like either jet engines or an old school nuke.  Either would be appropriate.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »
http://www.milmac.se/uploads/images/Pictures/Hagglunds%20Bv%20206%20personell%20carrier.jpg

We Americans use those as well.  Or a similar thing.  They were intended not just to carry x passengers, but tow a large number of soldiers on skis.  Allegedly they can traverse ground people cannot, something about how their treads impact less pounds more square inch than an average person does. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 06:38:50 PM »
We Americans use those as well.  Or a similar thing.  They were intended not just to carry x passengers, but tow a large number of soldiers on skis.  Allegedly they can traverse ground people cannot, something about how their treads impact less pounds more square inch than an average person does. 
We use them for that as well. Easiest way to transport large number of troops through the frozen hell that is Norrland during the winter. I recently saw a bunch of those for sale for those who wants one :cool:. About 130000 krona ($17500) is the asking price. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Not a bad price for a vehicle like that :cool:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 06:41:56 PM »
Those are very old jet engines, note the burner cans and air intake screens. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 08:06:33 PM »
Why do the Russians seem to have all the cool stuff lately?....

Emphasis on seem.  Too much of it looks and sounds like a Mad Max sequel.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 10:57:49 PM »
Emphasis on seem.  Too much of it looks and sounds like a Mad Max sequel.

...and your point is?....I'm pretty sure you'll never see the Russians version of a Prius or a Mini-Cooper....their engines still have some muscle and large, easy-to-work-on parts....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 02:25:17 AM »
...and your point is?....I'm pretty sure you'll never see the Russians version of a Prius or a Mini-Cooper....their engines still have some muscle and large, easy-to-work-on parts....

:laugh:

Maybe I'm thinking of a different Russia, but most of the ones I've seen (Ladas) make Priuses and Mini-Coopers look like hot rods.
For entertainment purposes only.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »
would one of these work? http://www.easternsurplus.net/491.html  This one might be a bit on the heavy side.  http://www.easternsurplus.net/491.html  A friend of mine in college was from Holland and had a late 1950s Hanomog radio truck that they brought with them when they came to the US.

Tim

The difference between that and the one I was thinking of, was that the box expanded on the one I was thinking of, making it about four feet wider when it was expanded. It had little outriggers for stability. This was in use as a "mobile command center" at my Air Guard base in the late 1980's, the purpose being to function as a logistical support center for Forward Air Support for Army units.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"