Author Topic: Accurate weather forecast sites?  (Read 5196 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Accurate weather forecast sites?
« on: March 19, 2010, 05:53:53 PM »
Can anyone recommend web sites that do a good job of predicting the weather?  I usually use the NWS web site, which I think is fairly reliable. 

Everyone's predicting snow this weekend.  Don't think it will happen, but I'd like to see some forecasts. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

esheato

• friend
Re: Accurate weather forecast sites?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:54:26 PM »
I use wunderground.com. Seems to work well.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:02:09 PM »
Thanks.  But I'm interested in the weather on the surface. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 07:10:08 PM »
Actually, that's shorthand for Weather Underground. Bernadine Dorne runs the site.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 08:18:30 PM »
have you tried, =D or  =D. [popcorn]

edit: firefox required, although i have the same thing in ie, i just don't remember how i added it. =(

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 11:18:03 PM »
Actually, that's shorthand for Weather Underground. Bernadine Dorne runs the site.

I knew there was something funny about that esheato guy. 

Mrs. Inor

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 12:39:09 AM »
I'm in the Twin Cities MN area and use a local site - WeatherBug. It was actually started by a local high school and picked up by a local t.v. station. I would suggest looking at your local t.v. stations and if their weather people have a site. I wasn't a forecaster in the Air Force but I did learn enough there to be able to find a local source for good weather info. Just a thought.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 12:43:46 AM »
have you tried, =D or  =D. [popcorn]

edit: firefox required, although i have the same thing in ie, i just don't remember how i added it. =(

Huh.  I didn't know until right now that we could add URL's to images.

I use weather.com, although it's totally full of flash crap.  Which I've ranted about before.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 02:10:27 AM »
Huh.  I didn't know until right now that we could add URL's to images.

I use weather.com, although it's totally full of flash crap.  Which I've ranted about before.

I hadn't even thought about him doing that. He did that previous thread and I had to restrain myself from posting a WTlikesuchastropicallocationsHeck are you talking about?!?

I'm feeling as though he's been picking on me in particular (it's kinda easy some times ;))

Just to keep this on topic, the words "accurate" and "weather forecast" just don't look right together.

Someone had to do it. :P
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 04:45:45 AM »
For short term, stick your head outside.  It will probably continue doing something similar to whatever it's doing for a few minutes.

For longer term, the forecasts start getting unreliable.

I'm thinking, for better reliability, I may start a time forecasting service.  In the meantime, I'm still working on a "Best of WWV" compilation album.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 07:39:45 AM »
I use the NOAA site, which is as accurate as most. Which means it is hit or miss.

www.noaa.gov

bob

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 08:35:04 AM »
For work, I use WSI Weather Brief, but I think that is a subscription-required service. Besides, they mainly produce aviation oriented weather charts.

I also like AccuWeather, and NOAA.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 08:43:51 AM »
I always use the NOAA site. If you take the marine and public forecasts and multiply by 2, factor in the aviation forecast and add 12 hours you'll be right on the money.  =D
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 08:49:42 AM »
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/
Its who I use mostly.  Forcasts get updated regularly, even during an event  :facepalm:
I watch the site like a hawk when I'm planning an outing on the boat.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 09:16:50 AM »
i keep this bookmarked
http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/forecasts/zone/pa/paz019.txt
it loads in a moment.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 10:22:13 AM »
my father the retired noaa meteorologist has a fal proof method when i call him for weather info.  he says hang on and checks his weather rock.  if rock is wet its raining if its got snow on it its snowing etc.
i come by being a smartass honestly
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 11:08:50 AM »
The NOAA website has a place you can put in your lat-lon and get a forecast supposedly for your own back yard.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »
Huh.  So most everybody recommends the NOAA/NWS site I've been using forever.  I will try the Firefox extensions, though.

Thanks. 

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 02:45:22 PM »
I hadn't even thought about him doing that. He did that previous thread and I had to restrain myself from posting a WTlikesuchastropicallocationsHeck are you talking about?!?

I'm feeling as though he's been picking on me in particular (it's kinda easy some times ;))

Just to keep this on topic, the words "accurate" and "weather forecast" just don't look right together.

Someone had to do it. :P
if that was me you thought was taunting you, sorry about that. it's a habit from a now defunct board. =) i just think it makes the text look nicer. [tinfoil]

(the forum is still there but they went ban the conservative happy, and i have no use for a gay promotion movie forum :facepalm: so i moved to greener lawns. http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ and http://www.avsforum.com/ {and now you know why i stick 'em in smileys =D})

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 05:49:21 PM »
Huh.  So most everybody recommends the NOAA/NWS site I've been using forever.  I will try the Firefox extensions, though.

Thanks. 

I have the Accuweather ext. for FF and am not impressed. Not very accurate and pretty slow on results.

I am now trying the "Pro Weather" desktop gadget for Windows 7 and so far it's pretty slick, as well as responsive.

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 05:58:48 PM »
I have the Dashboard feature in the dock on the Safari browser on my Mac, but it only shows the temperature for Chicago.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 06:05:37 PM »
Can anyone recommend web sites that do a good job of predicting the weather?  I usually use the NWS web site, which I think is fairly reliable.  

Everyone's predicting snow this weekend.  Don't think it will happen, but I'd like to see some forecasts.  

I'm predicting snow for today in Oklahoma. It was 70 here yesterday though.
Of course making that forecast at this time of day is pretty easy since we have 4-5" on the ground already and it is still piling up. =(

For general weather I check both weather.com and weatherunderground.com.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

darius

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 06:42:45 PM »
Weather here in the klondike is the SOS so weather.com is ok for me.  However, the weather data on the internet from weather.com can be as much as 20 minutes old. 

I look for it to snow in June here in Kansas.  Too many liberals.  [barf]

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 07:46:05 PM »
I've owned a lawnservice, landscaping and snowplowing business for thirteen years, and I rely on accuweather.com.  I don't consider any source to be great, given what I do and the effect small variations have on my work day, but it is the best.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 09:13:14 PM »

http://www.wxnation.com/

I think this weather service is run by Paul Douglas, a former Minneapolis/St. Paul TV weather guy.

He even had a brief appearance in the tornado movie "Twister". He was the TV guy on the air during scenes in the movie.