Author Topic: What's for dinner? Looking for new recipes/dinner ideas.  (Read 5066 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
What's for dinner? Looking for new recipes/dinner ideas.
« on: November 22, 2011, 01:36:23 PM »
Ned's thread about a dinner party has me thinking.  I'm in a rut, food-wise.  Fall back on the same recipes again and again.  They are good, but the repetition is hitting me.  I'm looking for new ideas for dinner.  Family of four. No known food alergies.  Sons (11 and 9) don't like it too hot/spicy.  I'd call my cooking skills foodie+, I can use a chef's knife well.  I have my own (tacticool black) apron.  And I have both a gas and charcoal Weber grill.  Anyone got ideas or recipes to share?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: What's for dinner? Looking for new recipes/dinner ideas.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 01:41:12 PM »
Ned's thread about a dinner party has me thinking.  I'm in a rut, food-wise.  Fall back on the same recipes again and again.  They are good, but the repetition is hitting me.  I'm looking for new ideas for dinner.  Family of four. No known food alergies.  Sons (11 and 9) don't like it too hot/spicy.  I'd call my cooking skills foodie+, I can use a chef's knife well.  I have my own (tacticool black) apron.  And I have both a gas and charcoal Weber grill.  Anyone got ideas or recipes to share?

This is similar to what I make

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/566328-Nonna-s-Tuscan-Chicken-Cacciatore

except I add a couple of coarse chopped carrots when sauteing the onion, then I put the chicken in.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »
What are those same old dishes you keep coming back to?  (give us a direction here)
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 02:02:32 PM »
You can wayyyyyy expand your food horizons if you'll learn to make a few simple sauces.  It's amazing what you can do with some pasta, chicken breasts, and a few variations on a cream sauce.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 02:24:04 PM »
Crockpot Thai Chicken

6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into ½-inch strips
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
½ cup chicken broth
¼ cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons cornstarch
⅔ cup creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon soy sauce
¼ cup lime juice
3 green onions, chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ chopped roasted peanuts

Place chicken breast strips, bell pepper and onion in a slow cooker.
Pour in chicken broth and ¼ cup of soy sauce, then season with cumin, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir to blend, then cover and cook on Low for 4 ½ to 5 hours.
Remove 1 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker, and mix with corn starch, peanut butter, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and lime juice.  This should blend into a fairly thick sauce.  Stir the sauce back into the slow cooker, and place the lid on the pot.
Cook on high for 30 minutes. Garnish with green onions, cilantro and peanuts before serving.  Serve over rice.  Serves 6.

Or Make your own sloppy joes:
Spicy Sloppy Joes
Taken from Recipe.com
1 lb lean ground beef
½ onion
½ green pepper
8 oz tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons ketchup
1 Tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1 ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 ½ teaspoons sugar
¼ teaspoon hot sauce

Add beef, onion and green pepper to skillet. Brown and crumble lean ground beef
Add tomato sauce, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire, sugar and hot sauce.  Mix well.
Simmer on low for 10 minutes, stir occasionally.

OR

Beef Dip Sandwiches done in a slow cooker, a little spicy with the pepperoncinis, but you could control that.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3laDkyYYwr9OGE1MzM5MDMtODYzNC00YTYzLTg5YmMtMjg0Zjg3NTI1NDVl
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 02:46:09 PM »
This might be too spicy but I'll post it anyway.  It's getting to be chili and stew weather:

I don't usually follow a recipe, but once upon a time I tried to pay attention to what I was doing and wrote everything down ;)  So these are approximate measures.  If the ground meat is too lean, you might need to add a little oil or fat.  You can add a can or two of tomato sauce or peeled tomatoes if you must, but I don't.

Bob's Red Chili

1 to 1.5 pounds beef stew meat
1 pound ground meat (turkey, venison, pork, or beef)
1 large (or 2 small) yellow onions
2 cups water
8 dried New Mexico or Guajillo chile peppers
4 large dried Ancho chile peppers
2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder or granules
2 (15 oz) cans beef broth
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans or "chili beans" (optional)
1 Tbsp cornmeal or dried masa
cayenne pepper, to taste [I used between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp]

Break up the ground meat in a large skillet and begin browning over high heat.  When the meat has turned gray and there is some grease in the pan, add the stew meat.  Continue cooking until all is thoroughly done and browned somewhat.  Transfer to a large stockpot.  Set the dirty skillet aside for later.

Remove stems and seeds from the dried peppers.  Don't worry about getting all the seeds out.  Tear or crumble the peppers into a small saucepan with the water; simmer for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, coarsely chop onions and sauté in the grease remaining in the dirty skillet.  When onions are soft and becoming translucent, transfer to the stockpot.

Pour the stewed peppers and water into the blender and blend until liquefied.  Pour the chile paste into a large sieve and press it thru with a spoon into the stockpot (this removes any pepper skins and stray seeds, you can skip this step if you don't mind the extra fiber, which can have a tough plasticky texture).  Rinse the blender with a little water and pour that in the stockpot.

Add all remaining ingredients except the beans and the cornmeal.  Simmer for several hours.  Add canned beans and simmer another 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning (salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and maybe garlic powder) to taste.  Add the cornmeal, and simmer 10 or 15 minutes until thickened (stir occasionally because it can burn at this point.)

Notes:  Anchos are large and black dried peppers that smell faintly of chewing tobacco.  They are mild.  Guajillo and New Mexico peppers are long, flat, and mahogany colored.  They can be hot or mild; usually in between but closer to mild.
"It's good, though..."

P5 Guy

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 03:12:27 PM »
Do you all like fish? Shellfish?
I have several recipes I do thru the year depending on what becomes available in Florida.
I can get Salmon pretty regular so;

Figure on about 1/4 to 3/8 pound per person.
I, for some reason cannot talk the local stores into getting steaks only filets.
Saute in olive oil starting skin side down to loosen the skin. It's much easier this way. Keep the filets moving so they don't stick. Flip them and remove skin. A little fresh ground pepper and throw in some coarsely chopped Shallots or Onions depending on what you like. About a 1/4 cup per serving. A large handful of Capers, drained, about a teaspoon per serving. Deglaze the pan with the ingredients still in there with about a cup of dry White Wine. And just at the end some chopped Parsley about a tablespoon per serving. I usually serve this over Gnocchi.
Drink the rest of the wine with dinner.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 03:36:59 PM »
What are those same old dishes you keep coming back to?  (give us a direction here)

Well I guess that would have been the smart thing for me to do, wouldn't it?   :lol:

The dished I come back to:
Beef Goulash
Chicken Paprikash
Beef Stroganoff
Chicken and noodles
Chicken/seafood Gumbo
Jambalaya
Spaghetti and meatballs/sausages
Curried Pork or Chicken
Lasagne

These are the dishes I make when i have 2 hours to cook on a Saturday or Sunday, not the every night steak/chicken on the grill.  I make it all from scratch (except the italian red sauce).  If anyone wants a recipe I use, ask.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 03:38:18 PM »
Do you all like fish? Shellfish?

Very much.  getting good quality fresh fish in the middle of Ohio is a chore.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 04:05:48 PM »
Well I guess that would have been the smart thing for me to do, wouldn't it?   :lol:

The dished I come back to:
Beef Goulash
Chicken Paprikash
Beef Stroganoff
Chicken and noodles
Chicken/seafood Gumbo
Jambalaya
Spaghetti and meatballs/sausages
Curried Pork or Chicken
Lasagne

These are the dishes I make when i have 2 hours to cook on a Saturday or Sunday, not the every night steak/chicken on the grill.  I make it all from scratch (except the italian red sauce).  If anyone wants a recipe I use, ask.

OK,
the previously mentioned chili, or bake a ham, or a whole salmon (available frozen, pretty reasonable), or how about enchiladas or homemade tamales?

I make a lot of peppery stirfrys with lots of vegetables and little or not meat, but that's not really something to serve company.

Still thinking...
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 04:12:35 PM »
Baby back ribs:

Oven to 300
Place ribs in baking dish.  Add can of Dr. Pepper, several cloves of crushed garlic, 1 cup of orange juice
Cover, bake for 1:45
Remove from dish, baste with BBQ sauce of your choice.  Finish on grill for about 10 minutes to glaze the sauce on.

I usually cut mine individually.  You should be able to get two racks into a 13" baking dish.

Ranch taters:
3lbs of red potoatoes, diced into bite size
1 packet of ranch dressing mix
1/4 cup of olive oil or veggie oil (olive oil preferred)
Other flavors to taste: garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes.  YMMV I like mine heavy on the garlic.

Preheat oven to 400. Mix taters, oil, ranch and seasonings in a large ziploc bag. Coat through, then put them on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 for 30 mintues or until golden brown and cooked.
Can be covered with shredded cheese (2 minutes in the oven), too.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 04:19:49 PM »
Baked potato bar:  Really good big potatoes, oiled and baked in the real oven (No nukes, and no foil.)  Add ones own toppings from a vast assortment, and don't skimp on the bacon.
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »
Baked potato bar:  Really good big potatoes, oiled and baked in the real oven (No nukes, and no foil.)  Add ones own toppings from a vast assortment, and don't skimp on the bacon.

Adding to this idea:
Shredded BBQ (Pork, chicken or beef) on top of a baked tater with buttah, bacon, sour cream and copious amounts of cheese for the win.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 04:46:49 PM »
Quote from: My Wife
HOMEMADE CHILI
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground turkey
1 box of Carroll Shelby’s Chili Mix (only use the chili mix and ½ of the cayenne pepper pack)
1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
1 can 15oz. can of stewed tomatoes
1 can Rotel
1 can Bush’s Ranchero Beans
2 Cans of water (maybe less or more depending on thickness)

Brown ground beef and turkey together.  Drain off any grease.  Add tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, rotel, beans, and water to meat.  Mix in the chili mix pack and ½ of the cayenne pepper.  Let simmer for 30 minutes.   Add some Fritos and cheese and enjoy!

Quote from: My SIL
RAVIOLI TO MAKE LASAGNA
1 pkg. of cheese Ravioli from the frozen food section
2 pkg. of sage sausage
1 (8oz pkg.) of Mozzarella cheese
1 large can of spaghetti sauce

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare cheese ravioli per pkg. instructions.  Brown sausage and drain. In a 9x13 casserole dish, spoon in a small amount of spaghetti sauce. Lay out a single layer of ravioli.  Then spoon on more spaghetti sauce. Next, layer sausage and cheese.  Repeat the layers until your casserole dish is full.  This is a great recipe to make the night before and cook when you get home from work- it also freezes really well.

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 04:49:47 PM »
or bake a ham,

Rack in roaster to keep the ham off the bottom. Poke cloves into it, 3/4-1" spacing covering the ham. Hang pineapple slices from cloves covering it completely. Bake. Remove cloves before eating. Yum.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »
Wait a minute.  Are you talking about cooking for *your* family (just an everyday meal) or cooking for company?

How about cooking pancakes for supper?  Sure it's not very nutritious, but you're not going to make them every day.

ETA: Homemade pizza.  And don't use Pillsbury (etc) crust from a tube, make your own.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 04:58:44 PM »
Also, a crock pot or slow cooker is your friend.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 05:05:05 PM »
I don't puree the soup, I puree or mash a little of it but leave most of the chunks.  I use smooth or chunky PB, whichever I grab first.  Also, I don't add tomato juice, I use canned sliced, diced, crushed, or stewed tomatoes and reduce the sugar if using stewed:

WEST AFRICAN PEANUT SOUP
(from "Sundays at the Moosewood Restaurant")

2 cups chopped onion              
1 Tbsp vegetable oil              
1/2 tsp cayenne or other ground chiles  
1 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger          
1 cup chopped carrots              
2 cups chopped sweet potatoes          
4 cups vegetable stock or water
2 cups tomato juice
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 Tbsp sugar
chopped scallions
chopped roasted peanuts

Sauté onion in oil until it is transluscent. Stir in cayenne and ginger. Add carrots and sauté a couple minutes more. Mix in potatoes and stock, bring to a boil, simmer 15 minutes (until the vegetables are tender). Puree the vegetables with tomato juice (and some of the cooking liquid if necessary) in a blender or food processor. Return the puree to the pot.  Stir in the peanut butter until smooth. Check sweetness and add sugar if necessary. Reheat gently, using a heat difuser if necessary to prevent scorching. Add more water, stock, or tomato juice to make a thinner soup if desired. Serve topped with plenty of chopped scallions and chopped roasted peanuts.

Serves 6-8
"It's good, though..."

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 09:32:44 PM »
When baking those spuds, instead of oiling them, wash them and, while they are still wet, cover them with as much salt as they will hold.  Bake an hour, or longer, at 450°.  When  ready, scrape the salt from the skins with the back of a knife, the handle of a fork or spoon, or what ever.

Here is a great beef stew that will fit in with your standbys:

CARBONNADES A LA FLAMANDE

Flour for dredging
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 pounds boneless chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup salad oil

6 medium onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 12-ounce bottle or can of beer
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon thyme

1.  Combine flour, salt, and pepper.  Dredge the meat in the seasoned flour.
   2.  Heat oil in a skillet.  Add onion slices and garlic and cook until tender but not brown.  Remove the onions from the skillet.
   3.  Add the meat and brown on all sides, adding a little more oil if necessary.  Return the onions to the skillet.
   4.  Add the remaining ingredients.
   5.  Cover and cook over low heat until the meat is tender, about one and one-quarter hour.  Serve hot with boiled potatoes, noodles, or spaetzel.

I like malty, less hoppy brews for this, most often using a brown ale, and I always use far more than 12 ounces.

There are much more elaborate versions of carbonnades, but I keep coming back to this recipe.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 09:42:41 PM »
Here is a side dish that works well:

PAKÁ'S SPECIAL RICE

1 pound sausage
1 package dry chicken noodle soup   
1 large onion, chopped
2 or 3 stalks celery, diced

1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cups rice
½ cup or more slivered almonds
4 cups water

Choose sausage to suit the main dish or to taste-breakfast, sweet or hot Italian, bratwurst, andouille, whatever you like, or a mixture of two or more.  Brown the sausage.  Drain excess fat.  Sauté the vegetables.  Add the rice, stir and fry all until the rice has turned opaque.  Turn out everything into a 1½ - 2 quart casserole or ovenproof saucepan or pot.  Stir in the water, soup mix, and nuts.  Cover and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Variations:  Use more or less or different veggies, to taste.  Add sliced mushrooms to taste.  Substitute pasilla or Anaheim chilies for some or all of the bell pepper.  Substitute pine nuts for some or all of the almonds.

Paká was our cook/chief of house in Bangkok.  The woman was a great cook of both Asian and western cuisine, amazing  us often and NEVER tasting the western dishes.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 09:46:45 PM »
Bacon Wrapped BBQ pork chops

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 boneless pork loin chops (thick ones. mine were like 1 and 1/2 inches)
Enough bacon to wrap said chops around the edges.
Maple syrup
Olive oil
Your favorite barbecue sauce.

Dry the chops thoroughly with a paper towel. Otherwise the olive oil won't stick right, nor will the rub.
Mix the garlic powder, seasoning salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Rub this all over the chops.
Wrap a strip of bacon around the edges of the chops and hold in place with toothpicks. Be careful to tell your wife that you used toothpicks, lest she bite into one.

Brush the bacon with maple syrup to help keep it from burning and glaze it. Brush the surface of the chops with olive oil, over the rub.

Grill the chops for 10 minutes, turning once, on medium to high heat. I like high to sear them, crisp the edges, and lock in the juice. Sear them puppies good.

Important. While grilling, admire your motorcycle. If you don't have a motorcycle, buy one. And admire it.

At this point, Drop some foil on the grill, put the chops on foil, drizzle them with your fav. barbecue sauce, and wrap em up tight like a potato. Cook them on the grill for another 10-15. For the real thick chops, I did 15.

Take the chops off the grill and put em on a plate, still in the foil. Important: LET THEM SIT IN THE FOIL FOR ANOTHER 10 MINUTES.

Serve with a delicious dark porter or lager. I chose vanilla porter.

Get fatter.

Alternate version: stuff chops with ham and mozzarella.... I have a pic.
javascript:void(0);

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 09:54:43 PM »
Not really a dinner but still darn good:

1 Roll of Hot Bob Evans Sausage
1 Can (14.5 Oz) Diced Tomatoes with green chilies
1 Block (8 Oz) of Cream Cheese

Cook and crumble the sausage.
Drain off the grease.
Put the sausage back in the pan and add the cream cheese.
Melt the cream cheese and then add the diced tomatoes.
Mix all of it together.
Serve with Tostitos Scoops or Fritos Scoops
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 01:59:57 AM »
Cabbage & Kielbasa al la Nippon

1/2 head each of green and red cabbage, cut into bite sized chunks
1 Kielbasa sausage, cut into .5 inch segments
2 large carrots cut into .25 inch segments
1 cup of toasted and crumbled Nori.
1 cup of dried Shiitake mushrooms.

Soak the nori and mushrooms in liquid for about 10 minutes (sometimes I use red wine, sometimes chicken stock), then mix well with other components.

Add to a well buttered backing dish (use butter or lard, not that fake stuff).  Season as desired (I like sodium chloride, black pepper and a bit of paprika or saffron).

Cover with Al foil and bake for 45 minutes to an hour at 350 F.  Uncover, stir and bake uncovered for the last 10 minutes or so, just enough to give a bit of browning to the cabbage and sausage.

Serve with a bright salad (baby spinach, roma tomatos and mandarin oranges for example) on the side, or fresh cut veggies and your favorite dipping sauce.

The mushroom's earthy notes mellows the funk of the cabbage, while the sea & iodine characters of the nori livens up the savory fats of the sausage.  The fresh salad or veggies give crunch and coolness the hot baked entre in the meal.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 02:02:22 AM »
I'm a fan of breakfast for dinner now and then. We try to do biscuits and gravy or pancakes/waffles a couple times a month.

I wing 99% of my cooking. But I'll try to give you an idea.

Chicken Sadie(My daughter)

One whole chicken cut in the normal eight pieces.

Heat the dutch oven to smoking with a little oil and brown two to four seasoned to taste pieces of chicken. Set to the side when browned.

Add more oil if needed to the pan, olive brings a lot of flavor. Throw in a finely chopped small onion or half a big one or some shallots if you have them and cook for a couple minutes over a medium low heat. Add some fresh garlic and cook until you can smell it but before it burns. About a minute.

Add a cup of white wine or apple juice, grape juice or something to deglaze the pan. Let it reduce to about half.

Add the chicken back to the pan lower the heat to low and throw some seasonings and some fruit like raisins or prunes and cook covered until the meat starts to pull off the bone. An hour or less.

Pull chicken and let rest. Cook the sauce in the pan down or thicken with corn starch or a rue as needed.

Works great served over a bed of rice or thin noodles.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 02:38:24 AM »
Steak au Poivre

4 tenderloin steaks, 6 to 8 ounces each and no more than 1 1/2 inches thick
    Kosher salt
    2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/3 cup Cognac, plus 1 teaspoon
    1 cup heavy cream

Remove the steaks from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour prior to cooking. Sprinkle all sides with salt.

Coarsely crush the peppercorns with a mortar and pestle, the bottom of a cast iron skillet, or using a mallet and pie pan. Spread the peppercorns evenly onto a plate. Press the fillets, on both sides, into the pepper until it coats the surface. Set aside.

In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and olive oil. As soon as the butter and oil begin to turn golden and smoke, gently place the steaks in the pan. For medium-rare, cook for 4 minutes on each side. Once done, remove the steaks to a plate, tent with foil and set aside. Pour off the excess fat but do not wipe or scrape the pan clean.

Off of the heat, add 1/3 cup Cognac to the pan and carefully ignite the alcohol with a long match or firestick. Gently shake pan until the flames die. Return the pan to medium heat and add the cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and whisk until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add the teaspoon of Cognac and season, to taste, with salt. Add the steaks back to the pan, spoon the sauce over, and serve.