Author Topic: Are veterans the newest victim group?  (Read 3241 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Are veterans the newest victim group?
« on: May 26, 2015, 11:23:18 AM »
First it was UnderArmor's raising of the basketball goal.  Now it's Pacific Sunwear's upside down flag (along with the Anarchist symbol on the left sleeve).

Veterans' organizations, and individual vets willing to appear on camera, are saying "It's a disgrace!"  "It's an insult!"  "The Greatest Generation did not fight and die so these clowns can disrespect them."  "We still have servicemen fighting and dying in Afghanistan and Iraq to protect our American freedoms, and these clowns come out with this stuff?"

And the MSM and their trained pundits fall right in line with this.  They comment that the First Amendment allows these companies to do that - immediately followed by ringing of clothes and rending of hands (sic) that in spite of that freedom it is "wrong".

Are veterans so fragile that they need to claim victim status over these commercial ventures into Failure Land?  Are there really icons of the American military that must be venerated at the risk of being burned at the stake as an apostate and heretic if you do not?  Or is this another memo that I did not get around to reading?

I would have thought that veterans were stronger than what is being shown in the MSM.  If it turns out veterans are not strong enough to deal with this without dragging out their FEELZ then I want to know how I can resign.

Comments?  Thoughts?  (Sticks and stones are over there in the boxes next to the recycling bins.  Feel free to take a few.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Are veterans the newest victim group?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 11:47:21 AM »
There's whiney little bitches in the military.  Those whiney little bitches do a stint, get out, and are whiney little bitch vetarns.  Every group has them.

Actually ours might be a little worse then some others, because after these whiners spend 6 years making it to SPC (or LCPL) they get out and fail at life outside too.  Then with the magic of rosy hindsight their service was the best thing that ever happened and they are Veteran! (hear them whine).  MSM giving them a few seconds of camera time just confirms their awesome status.

These are the aholes (by and large) that take videos and whine to the chain of command until TRADOC outlaws effective training.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 12:51:08 PM »
I posted something about this the other day on book of faces... and it resulted in some inbox hate.

An excerpt:

"All the **** whining about people "not understanding" Memorial Day are as bad, if not worse, than the people who make the mistake in the first place.
They're civilians. Many have no idea. It's NOT A BIG DEAL
How about this:
Veterans are the biggest group of whiny *** bitches on the Internet.

At every turn, I'm finding something that I'm supposed to be offended about, posted by the "guardians of freedom "

These defenders of freedom then take to Facebook pages to sling vitriol, like what is happening on Outback Steakhouse's page right now

And most of them are *expletive deleted*ing POGs anyways, who spent their deployments in offices.
"Zomg military discounts on Memorial Day! Offensive!"
"Zomg my flag! "
"Zomg so and so doesn't support the troops because XYZ"

Jesus *expletive deleted*ing Christ

Grow a sack and stop demanding deference at every turn"
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 01:18:07 PM »
What happened at Outback?
"It's good, though..."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 01:26:01 PM »
What happened at Outback?

Short version:

Outback has had a long running "15 percent off" promotion for military

Facebook's algorithms promoted the post day before yesterday. "So and so likes Outback Steakhouse" and the post that was attached was outback posting about their 15 percent.

It's not something they did because of memorial day. As far back as I can recall they've had that discount

Their facebook page was absolutely flooded with vitriol over it. How "disrespectful" they were for not knowing the meaning of memorial day, etc.

It was truly an internet hate mob
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 02:19:11 PM »
It isn't called "Patriot's Steakhouse" or "Minutemen Steakhouse".  It is called Outback Steak House.  Yeah, it was owned and started in the US, but why would people get upset about it?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 02:25:31 PM »
Because there's a small, vocal subset of the population that has to be pissed off about something, and some of them are either Vets, or more often Dependapotomus, and feel the burning need to be pissed off at other's "lack of patriotism/respect/not having enough gratitude". 

They are, frankly, embarassing to folks who are trying to be profesional about their career.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 02:46:45 PM »
Didn't Target get some sort of blowback a few years ago because they stopped allowing different groups from soliciting at the entrances?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 05:03:31 PM »
Because there's a small, vocal subset of the population that has to be pissed off about something, and some of them are either Vets, or more often Dependapotomus, and feel the burning need to be pissed off at other's "lack of patriotism/respect/not having enough gratitude".

Or just those who have noticed there's money to be made in finding a new cause to champion.  Build up support, start a nonprofit, and collect an executive salary as the founder.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 05:47:23 PM »
I'm Pissed off about people being Pissed off about people being Pissed off about stupid *expletive deleted*it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
Yes, there does seem to be a some that are looking for things to be 'hurt" by.   Company that makes upside down flag shirt.  Yeah, I'd almost buy one.  Simply because if you don't think thos country is in trouble, then you haven't been paying attention.  However, to do it the week before Memorial Day.  Poor taste.

People burning and walking on the flag.  Not going to win many folks over to your side. Former Airman that grab it at one protest.  Hey, if you want to practice Civil Disobedience, go for it.  Be prepared for the consequences.

"Happy" Memorial Day does drive me up the wall. (Same with all the sales, but hey, I take notes and those won't get my money.)  Simply, because schools don't teach civics anymore, and people don't understand what's behind the holiday.

I save my outrage for things like the VA Scandal, and the vet that got suspended from his (Baptist) College because he asked for a different counselor (One not a muslim.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 06:43:40 PM »
Yes, there does seem to be a some that are looking for things to be 'hurt" by.   Company that makes upside down flag shirt.  Yeah, I'd almost buy one.  Simply because if you don't think thos country is in trouble, then you haven't been paying attention.  However, to do it the week before Memorial Day.  Poor taste.

People burning and walking on the flag.  Not going to win many folks over to your side. Former Airman that grab it at one protest.  Hey, if you want to practice Civil Disobedience, go for it.  Be prepared for the consequences.

"Happy" Memorial Day does drive me up the wall. (Same with all the sales, but hey, I take notes and those won't get my money.)  Simply, because schools don't teach civics anymore, and people don't understand what's behind the holiday.

I save my outrage for things like the VA Scandal, and the vet that got suspended from his (Baptist) College because he asked for a different counselor (One not a muslim.)

VA scandal, outrage worthy fo sho.

I look at memorial day this way: the ignorance that people have about memorial day is the direct result of it not affecting them. Which is a positive consequence of the sacrifice they bought with blood. The wars and carnage don't affect them, so they don't really have a connection to it.

As for all the flag stuff...

whether we like it or not (and believe me, i think the flagstompers are shitbirds), the supreme court has decided that flag desecration when done as a form of dissent is protected under the 1st amendment.

Since we take an oath to the constitution, and the constitution also gives the supreme court the authority to make those kinds of decisions... the bullshit about punching people, taking the flags from them, etc etc...

Well, quite simply, a military person who does any of the things they're saying they'd do is violating their oath. Period. The flag that someone is desecrating is not your property. and if you take it, or assault that person, because they're desecrating it... you're violating your oath.

It just irritates me that for some, the oath they took seems to come with conditions.

"I TOOK AN OATH!!!! ERGO, I'M GOING TO VIOLATE IT WHEN IT SUITS MY NEEDS BECAUSE I LOVE THE FLAG"

I understand the anger, and i think it's super disrespectful too. But any "consequence" these people would seek to impost is a direct violation of the oath. Period.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 06:57:47 PM »
I'm all for flag burning as a form of protest provided a few safety precautions are followed.

The protestor must submit an environmental impact statement to the EPA and get approval for the pollution it will cause.
The protestor must apply for and receive a burn permit from the municipality they are in.
Protestor must provide for proper fire safety which will include at least two appropriate fire extinguishers.
Protestor must wrap flag to be burned tightly around themselves before lighting it on fire, copious amounts of accelerant are encouraged.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 07:03:43 PM »
I'm all for flag burning as a form of protest provided a few safety precautions are followed.

The protestor must submit an environmental impact statement to the EPA and get approval for the pollution it will cause.
The protestor must apply for and receive a burn permit from the municipality they are in.
Protestor must provide for proper fire safety which will include at least two appropriate fire extinguishers.
Protestor must wrap flag to be burned tightly around themselves before lighting it on fire, copious amounts of accelerant are encouraged.

RKL, you made me laugh

How hilarious would it be if the EPA did some *expletive deleted*it like that?

You libtards want more government? HERE IT IS!
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
The only ones worse than Whiny Bitches are the Motards.

I would be *expletive deleted*ing embarrassed to hit Denny's up for free pancakes.  And I can't stand the "Thank you for your service"  knee jerk response from any stranger that finds out I served.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 09:16:07 PM »
The only ones worse than Whiny Bitches are the Motards.

I would be *expletive deleted*ing embarrassed to hit Denny's up for free pancakes.  And I can't stand the "Thank you for your service"  knee jerk response from any stranger that finds out I served.

Mostly they did not take cockamayme shortcuts that they had never before used.

Especially if they were of well-in-the-middle-of-senior-citizenship age.

Getting the seniors (me included) up to speed with technology has obvious terrors, especially when technology use is monkey see-monkey do.

stay safe.

Never mind.  Wes supposed to be in another thread.

stay safe.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:57:22 AM by vaskidmark »
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 10:28:29 PM »
"All the **** whining about people "not understanding" Memorial Day are as bad, if not worse, than the people who make the mistake in the first place.
They're civilians. Many have no idea. It's NOT A BIG DEAL

I'm a civilian. I'm also a Vietnam veteran. And I respectfully disagree -- it IS a big deal.

On the Friday before Memorial Day, I received an e-mail from my financial adviser. It read:

In the midst of preparing for the unofficial first weekend of summer, we are reminded of all that we have to be grateful for: friends, family and the freedom to enjoy the simple pleasures of the season.

Whether you are celebrating Memorial Day at the beach, watching your community's parade or barbecuing in your own backyard, we hope you'll take a moment to pause and reflect upon the sacrifices made by the brave husbands, wives, children and friends who wear [note present tense] our country's uniform.

We wish you and your loved ones a long, wonderful holiday weekend and a great kick-off to the summer season.

Warm regards,
Rich

Well, I'm sorry. As a living veteran, I have a day set aside later in the year to thank me for having worn the uniform. Those currently serving have another day for them: Armed Forces Day. Memorial Day is not to honor current active duty personnel, it is not to honor their wives and children, and it is not to honor living veterans. Memorial Day is supposed to be to honor those who died in the service of their country. When we allow it to be hijacked and turned into a general-purpose yay-rah-rah Go Army pep rally, the meaning of the day is not just watered down, it's annihilated.

I responded to the e-mail with a tamed version of one of my annual rants on the topic. The guy called me at work today ... to apologize. He confirmed that, as I had suspected, the message was not written by him, it came out of the corporate office and all the company's financial managers had it sent out over their names. He said he recognized that my point was valid, and he told me that he had forwarded my rant to the corporate office where the message originated. I wonder if anyone will even read it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 10:40:33 PM »
And I can't stand the "Thank you for your service"  knee jerk response from any stranger that finds out I served.

I agree completely ... with one exception.

My wife died unexpectedly a year ago January. Not very long after her funeral I went to a [shudder] shopping mall to take care of a couple of things that the mall allowed me to deal with all under the same roof. It was a cold, rainy day, so as much as I dislike headgear I wore a baseball cap to protect my noggin. That day I happened to grab the Vietnam Veteran cap, probably because it was on the top of the pile.

After taking care of my errands, I grabbed a plate of Chinese food in the food court and was eating by myself when a little girl (couldn't have been older than five or six) came up to very hesitantly and said, "Please don't be sad. And thank you for your service."

I have to admit, I almost lost it. I did my best to hold myself together and I thanked her very much for caring enough to come over and speak to a stranger. Then her mother came over to collect her, and I thanked the mother, as well. And I managed not to cry until they had walked away. I don't remember the circumstances of any of the other "Thank you for your service" incidents, but I'll probably never forget that little girl.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 10:50:21 PM »

My wife died unexpectedly a year ago January. Not very long after her funeral I went to a [shudder] shopping mall to take care of a couple of things that the mall allowed me to deal with all under the same roof. It was a cold, rainy day, so as much as I dislike headgear I wore a baseball cap to protect my noggin. That day I happened to grab the Vietnam Veteran cap, probably because it was on the top of the pile.

After taking care of my errands, I grabbed a plate of Chinese food in the food court and was eating by myself when a little girl (couldn't have been older than five or six) came up to very hesitantly and said, "Please don't be sad. And thank you for your service."

I have to admit, I almost lost it. I did my best to hold myself together and I thanked her very much for caring enough to come over and speak to a stranger. Then her mother came over to collect her, and I thanked the mother, as well. And I managed not to cry until they had walked away. I don't remember the circumstances of any of the other "Thank you for your service" incidents, but I'll probably never forget that little girl.

See,  that's touching.  And I want to think it's a kid that was raised well enough to do that at random.  I know that innocent goodness is out there,  just never seen it myself.  /jaded ahole.

Mostly they did not take cockamayme shortcuts that they had never before used.

Especially if they were of well-in-the-middle-of-senior-citizenship age.

Getting the seniors (me included) up to speed with technology has obvious terrors, especially when technology use is monkey see-monkey do.

stay safe.

Um,  ok? 
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 10:56:39 PM »

Hawk, while I agree that memorial day's meaning has been watered down, I guess what I'm getting at is that the facebook posts guilting people for their BBQs are irritating. That's all.

Regarding the kid: great story. Reminds me of one.

After the pentagon got hit, my unit spent a lot of time without a day off, doing recovery operations. Those were rough days. We couldn't leave post. We were shuttled from the site to the barracks, and on lockdown the entire time. Going from a barracks room to carnage and back for a few weeks before they finally let us out.

Throughout this, we'd pass every night by the candlelight vigil near the navy annex. My buddy and I thought it would be nice to go and thank those folks, as they had been out there cheering and clapping each time we left and the night shift took over.

We put on our dress uniforms and went out to thank them for their support. The only bright spot in our crushingly awful days were those people that were out there.

Apparently, we were the first group of uniformed troops to make the trip. We had to fend off reporters who were DYING to interview us. It almost got contentious.

A little boy came up to me, his mother watching, and handed me a little american flag. He didn't say anything, just gave it to me. His mother explained that his daddy had died in the pentagon, and he had been out there every night waiting for a soldier to give the flag to.

I hugged the little boy and lost it entirely. Meanwhile, Dorsel physically repelled the invasion of news cameras, and I don't believe they ever got a decent shot. At least, I've never seen one. BBC was most prominently present.

I deeply regret not getting the boys name. I often wonder how he's doing. He couldn't have been older than about 7 or 8 at the time, which would make him a grown man now.

After, a BBC reporter asked to interview me. I told him I didn't want to if the camera was on, and he seemed to be leading me, so i didn't say much.

That little boy galvanized me, and was a source of strength when things got tough in Iraq. I wish I knew who he was...

Anyways, people thanking me for my service always makes me uncomfortable, but I try to be as gracious as I can.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 11:45:31 PM »
I get to tell two.

Many, many, many years ago, before 9/11 and it became fashionable.   It was a the 4th of July concert done by the Wheaton Municipal Band (It on of the those go to the park and bring lawn chairs and blanket things.  Anywho, It was a night of patriotic music and my daughter couldn't have been more then 4 or 5 at the time (so call it '97 or '98).  So she's on the blanket playing, we're sitting in lawn chairs and the band starts playing the Army Song.  Reflex kicks in, I jump up and stand at attention.   Once the song is over, I sit back down, and start to check on my daughter.  The lady behind us taps me on the shoulder and says "Thanks for your service."  I didn't expect it, and I think I mumbled back "It was a privilege."  Again, this was before people routinely did it.

Last weekend on my way to my folks in Indy, I stopped at God's Chicken (aka Chick-Fil-A) to grab a bite.  While waiting for my order there was an older gentlemen in front of me who was wearing a "Vietnam Veteran" hat with a mini CFMB on it.   Which kinda surprised me.  Don't see many of those.  So I looked at him and said "CFMB?  Who were you with?"  There was a moment of surprise on his face, then he saw my 8th ID hat, and he replied with some field hospital and 25th ID, 

We shook hands and exchanged that look that only those that have served have with each other.  And we each thanked each other for our service.  In those moments it seemed like everyone and no one was watching us.  But it didn't matter, we were two soldiers that shared that common bond of service.

Perhaps it's time for me to head over to the Legion and see what's been going since I was last there....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 11:03:54 AM »
I am so sick and tired of people being "offended" and that should result in someone being punished, or a law being passed, or them being given some type of compensation.  Since when did we as Americans become so thin skinned that we become so easily offended, and that results in immediate outcries for some type of action.  I've been offended one or two times (not very often, I'm pretty think skinned), and I just walked away.  Maybe I should learn to be a better victim, and I could walk away with some free stuff.

On the "thank you for your service" thing, frankly, it bothers me.  I signed up for the educational benefits in the late 80s.  Yeah, I wanted to serve, but I wanted free college more.  There was little thought of putting my life on the line for God and Country (there was when I tried to re-up after 9/11).  So, when people thank me for my service, I kind of feel guilty...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 11:11:09 AM »
The thank you bothers me too, on the rare occasion somebody finds out.  I was in for 3 years during peacetime, stayed stateside the entire time.  The closest thing I had to a deployment was 4 NTC rotations.

Edit:  Forgot one thing, even when I was still in the Army one ridiculous thing that happened at the end of all the NTC rotations was we would get a big welcome back to Ft. Riley - the band, yellow ribbons, and etc.  The hell?  We just hung out in the desert for a month.  For two weeks of the rotation we had showers, a PX, phones, toilets, and hot food.   Nobody was shooting at us and we never even saw the OPFOR.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 11:12:56 AM »
I've pretty much quit wearing veteran gear.  It's so bad around here that I could barely go to the grocery store without someone saying it.  Yes, I'm proud of my time.  But the toughest thing back in the 90's was DADT.  I didn't shoot any goat *expletive deleted*ers.  Never been to Iraq.  I've been out for almost 20 years. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 01:34:02 PM »
The thank you bothers me too, on the rare occasion somebody finds out.  I was in for 3 years during peacetime, stayed stateside the entire time.  The closest thing I had to a deployment was 4 NTC rotations.

Edit:  Forgot one thing, even when I was still in the Army one ridiculous thing that happened at the end of all the NTC rotations was we would get a big welcome back to Ft. Riley - the band, yellow ribbons, and etc.  The hell?  We just hung out in the desert for a month.  For two weeks of the rotation we had showers, a PX, phones, toilets, and hot food.   Nobody was shooting at us and we never even saw the OPFOR.

But you didn't know when you signed-up that it would be all state-side peace-time.  I appreciate that y'all *might* have been shot, at or worse. (but I won't thank you for it if it makes you uncomfortable.  You did get paid ;) )

I do think that Memorial Day is the one day out of the year that it's totally inappropriate to thank a vet or servicemember.  Maybe you can buy him a beer and just listen while he talks...
"It's good, though..."