Author Topic: Interesting thread about exploding Encore lawsuit  (Read 2899 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Interesting thread about exploding Encore lawsuit
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 03:12:55 PM »
"Them man yoo fackshers under rate them caaatrijis. I know whut them enjineers wuz up to and this iz whut it awter do."

Some people just have to play engineer. That's fine if you have a reasonable understanding of the subject matter. If you don't, well, sometimes the subject matter bites back.

Brad

Truth be told, they frequently do, but mainly in older cartridges that started out in weaker actions (45-70, 6.5x55, etc).  More modern cartridges (such as the 300wm), developed upon the same platforms we have today, suffer no such downgrades. 

You have to know the history of the cartridge you're working with, the platform it'll be fired from, and at what gun strength-level the reloading manual is assuming.  My manuals have multiple sections for older cartridges (original and various flavors of modern).

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 03:40:28 PM »
Yep, the OP isn't forthcoming with many answers. The thread at TFL was closed down yesterday, in large part because people were asking serious questions about the incident and the OP wasn't providing answers.

I didn't really keep up with the thread, because I don't have an Encore and don't have much interest in them, but it was rather interesting when someone pointed out that the OP's handloads were likely significantly over pressure for the cartridge.

The more I see of it, the more I'm thinking that he won the jury lottery.
Maybe that and Encore did not have a very good speaker testifying on the technical issues. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 03:56:46 PM »
I caught Dad setting up to load 45 Colt from the "Ruger Blackhawk/Redhawk Only" section. The only thing he has chambered in 45 Colt is a Peacemaker clone. Yikes.

Dad knows how critical it is to be careful with powder measuring and such. Unfortunately small details make him crazy so he also has a habit of not paying close attention to incidentals. He's also a form-over-function type. Never mind double-checking settings, confirming measurements, or reading notes for warnings and specs.  As long as it looks good it fine. It never occurred to him to read beyond the cartridge name and the powder weight for his bullet selection. Not even the BOLD RED DISCLAIMER at the top of the page.

It's gotten him in a bind on many occasions. We've learned through experience not to let him navigate on family trips unless we have a lot of extra time. Hand him a map and he'll know where we are and where we want to be, but all those little squiggly bits in between might as well be Hamlet in hieroglyphics. We have discovered lots of new out-of-the way places, though.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:40:13 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 12:16:03 AM »
but all those little squiggly bits in between might as well be Hamlet in hieroglyphics.

Brad

There be poetry!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 05:47:00 AM »
When I got my .45 Long a few years ago I wrote NO! on a couple of sticky notes and pasted them to the T/C and Ruger only pages in my loading manuals just so I wouldn't make a huge mistake and damage a gun I'd spend a decade looking for.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.