Author Topic: Whites Only Scholarship Creates Outrage  (Read 2704 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Whites Only Scholarship Creates Outrage
« on: November 23, 2006, 11:15:00 AM »
Whites Only Scholarship Creates Outrage
College Republicans Say Scholarship Was Created to Spark Debate
By ANNE-MARIE DORNING
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2674267&page=1

BOSTON, Nov. 22, 2006  - Joe Mroszczyk, president of the College Republicans at Boston University, admits he set out to stir up a hornet's nest when he came up with the idea of offering a whites-only scholarship at the school. But he got a little more buzz than he bargained for.

"To tell you the truth, we didn't see this coming," Mroszczyk said. "The Drudge Report picked it up yesterday, and today I just finished a round of national interviews. It's kind of overwhelming."

All the media attention is focused on a $250 Caucasian Achievement and Recognition Scholarship offered by Mroszczyk and the BU chapter of the College Republicans. Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.2 or higher; they must write two essays; and, here's the kicker, they must be at least one-quarter Caucasian.

The application itself offers an explanation: "We believe that racial preferences in all their forms are perhaps the worst form of bigotry confronting America today."

According to Mroszczyk, his group is offering the scholarship to point out "how ridiculous it is to have any sort of racially based scholarship."

At BU, for example, students who are at least one-quarter Hispanic can apply for a National Hispanic Recognition Scholarship.

"There are plenty of poor, white, academically gifted students who need that money just as much," Mroszczyk said.

It isn't the first time a group of students has tried this kind of stunt.

Two years ago a chapter of the College Republicans at Roger Williams University also offered a $250 whites-only scholarship. That's where the BU students got the idea.

"We are not doing this as some kind of white supremacy thing. I wanted to have a dialogue about racial preference," Mroszczyk said.

It seems as if Mroszczyk has gotten his wish. People from across the country are now weighing in on the idea through e-mail and the radio. And closer to home, some BU students are having their say too.

"It's a poor way to talk about affirmative action," said David Coreas, the 21-year-old senior who is president of the Latino fraternity Phi Iota Alpha at BU. "If they want to have a scholarship, then let them have a scholarship, but they're stirring up controversy in the wrong way."

Coreas said he believes that racially based scholarships are necessary to level a very uneven academic playing field.

"We have to look at the situation honestly," he said. "Caucasians tend to have a higher per capita income than Latinos and other minorities. We have to have scholarships to survive."

Coreas said he would welcome an honest dialogue on campus about race and affirmative action.

Mroszczyk admits even some of his good friends are shaking their heads.

"They said I can't believe you're doing this," he said.

But for all the talk, there are still no takers for the scholarship. The application has been available online since Nov. 7, and so far not one student has filled it out.

That's money wasted, according to David Coreas.

"I wish I could apply: That $250 could help me pay for my textbooks," he said.

Coreas isn't eligible, though.

But for BU students who have a pretty good GPA and can write a couple of essays, there's still time, as long as they're also 25 percent Caucasian. The deadline for applications is Nov. 30.

zahc

• friend
Re: Whites Only Scholarship Creates Outrage
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 11:18:17 AM »
Excellent. If I went to the school, I'd be tempted to claim the scholarship.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 11:37:57 AM »
I had forgotten when I posted this article that a number of years ago there was another "White only Scholarship." 

SCOTUS deemed it fine because it was funded by PRIVATE money.

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 02:21:23 PM »

"We have to look at the situation honestly," he said. "Caucasians tend to have a higher per capita income than Latinos and other minorities. We have to have scholarships to survive."

IF he wants to look at it honestly, there are whites out there that are just as poor as some members of other racial groups.  If a scholarship is OK for one group, a similar scholarship should be just as OK for another group.
Don

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 02:46:15 PM »
ah see how it feels fellas?

If it is ok to have BET, Ebony, NAACP, minority scholorships, etc, it is ok to have white equivalints.

However try and start white entertainment tv, ivory, NAACP (c standing for caucasion now), white scholorships, etc you are now a racist.

Aint our society grand?

I tired of minoritys who think because they are a minority they are automaticly entitled to something.  Same with some women.

If you want equality, be willing to accept total equality.  If you truely want equality you should be offended by notions that you need a helping hand in the form of minority only scholorships and affermative action on any and all levels.

I have to work my way in life and for what I want without a handout, why shouldn't a minority as well.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 04:32:29 PM »
How about a "White College Fund" to compete with the Negro College Fund?

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 05:12:59 PM »
I thought the "affirmative action bakesale" was much more clever.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 06:22:48 PM »
Good for the goose, good for the gander.

College admission and scholarships should be based SOLELY on merit, with ethnicity having NOTHING to do with it.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 12:30:42 AM »
I am happy to see this happen; I am tired of seeing a dozen or so exclusively "black" magazines on the local rag racks.

------------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 06:23:55 AM »
I am happy to see this happen; I am tired of seeing a dozen or so exclusively "black" magazines on the local rag racks.

------------------------------------------------

I have absolutely no problem with exclusively black magazines and TV programs, etc.
I just don't want to here any whining about exclusively white programs.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 08:39:25 AM »
This is particularly funny to me.

I'm taking some classes at IUPUI in Indianapolis.  The IUPUI Black Student Union filed a list of demands to the administration alleging racism at IUPUI.  Their demands included - get this - a Black Student Center in a different building than the multi-million dollar Student Center already under construction, and $78,000 to be awarded to black student groups.  The current budget for ALL student groups is $68,000.  The IUPUI student body is 9% black, 6% other minorities and 85% white, but 110% of the student activity budget should go to the 9% black students?

In essence they want to re-institute segregation and to award money to student groups on a racially preferential basis ...

Nice, guys, just nice.

Many folks have joked about demanding a White Student Center, a Hispanic Student Center, a Pacific Islander Student Center, an Arab Student Center and so forth until the whole school was a racially segregated student center.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 10:16:22 AM »
Too many people like to hide their true ideas about other races behind calls for "equality", supported by various benefits for those of their preferred skin color.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 01:43:56 PM »
Of a similiar skein my own school has some interesting times upcoming.  Requirements are soon to follow the awarding of school money.  Little things like having at least one member present at major school functions (lack of student participation has hurt the ranking). 
The Black Student Group of my own school has actually started this year with chicannery.  As a club membership list they just handed in last years.  When confronted about it their rep followed by just making up a list.  They exec board's descision was simply to give them the same amount of money as last year rather than an increase.  Heck of a punishment as they currently recieve more funding than any other group.  In addition to their funding they tap into the general slosh fund to pay for speakers, which is where all that money goes. 
When I first started here I read through the past decade of the school paper.  It turns out about 8 years ago the group would take all free papers, threatening to continue to do so till they had editorial control of the various papers.  The school said that since the papers are free they are abandoned property and thus there is nothing wrong with taking the dispersal stacks from the stands.  Far as I can tell the school has been giving in ever since.  Thinking about it, I'm sure exceptions will continue to be made.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Volt

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 08:28:38 PM »
So what legally makes me of a particular race? Is their some sort of proof required? If I declare myself Black, am I not Black? Well prove it. Why that guy over there does not have to. I am Black if say I am.

I recommend that the students protesting affirmative action simply declare themselves Black. Let the University then be forced into using the South African style of racial classifications.
My user name is lbmii on the "High Road".

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 05:09:01 AM »
I see no real problem with having all-black or all-white scholarships or student groups.

I have a big problem with my money, stolen from me and funneled through the goverment, losing value all the way, funding them.
D. R. ZINN

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 08:01:30 AM »
The ironic thing is that I have heard that many programs meant to help minorities now classify Asian people as "white" so they don't have to count them when looking at the performance of minorities. 

I agree with the above.  I don't care what they do with private money, but the govt should be truly color blind.  The only place race/skin color should be noted is for identification purposes only. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

LAK

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 08:36:38 AM »
Sergeant Bob
I have absolutely no problem with exclusively black magazines and TV programs, etc.
I just don't want to here any whining about exclusively white programs.
My problem with them is that they are completely exclusive while all others have been and are forced or coerced into being inclusive.

What do you think would be the reaction to a magazine entitled "White Men", or "White Enterprize", or "White Culture"?

---------------------------------

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 09:11:20 AM »
What do you think would be the reaction to a magazine entitled "White Men", or "White Enterprize", or "White Culture"?

In that case, they knew it would provoke outrage, so they decided to call it "The New Yorker".     grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 09:37:52 AM »
When I was in college, the Black Students Organization had activities & speakers on a regular basis. Fine - they did their thing, and nobody harassed them.

But that wasn't good enough - at some point, they decided that not enough of the caucasian, oriental, hispanic, and indian students were attending, and they began to agitate with the dean of students to require attendance at these functions. With tickets to be sold.

Can you say "scam" or "shakedown?"

Well, at one of the BSO meetings a couple of hundred of the frat boys showed up, demanding to join the BSO . . . school policy was that all school groups be made open to all students. They laid down the law - you either drop your demands of mandatory attendance at your events, or we will all join the BSO and vote OURSELVES into ALL the offices . . . and you WILL NOT LIKE where we take the organization afterwards.

The BSO continued its events and speaker schedule, but dropped all agitation for required attendance.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Zoogster

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 11:22:18 AM »
The ironic thing is that I have heard that many programs meant to help minorities now classify Asian people as "white" so they don't have to count them when looking at the performance of minorities.
It is part of American history. Every new immigrant group that slowly trickled in was classified by nationality, eventualy as they mixed with the population or thier main exodus from thier country died down they were reclassified as 'white'. Whether they were Irish, Italians, Sicilians, Swedes, Spainairds, French etc. Many of the Mediterranean Europeans are a mix of everything from African, North European, Middle Eastern, and every other group that has conquered or immigrated to them in mass. From the Turks, to the Moors, from slaves of Rome mixing with the traditional Romans, to the Sicily being conquered and controlled more times than I care to recite. Yet in America all are considered 'white' which disqualifies them from the benefits of 'minorites'. Calling them all the same thing also gives them the majority, while classifying them sperately with make them more minorities than 'Latinos'.

If we want equal treatmeant for all then we need equality for all, not racial quotas for or against anyone.

Private money however can be donated however the owner wishes, unless they utilize government funding it violates nothing.

If it is ok to have BET, Ebony, NAACP, minority scholorships, etc
I agree there is a double standard in our society. While creating shows, titles etc it is okay to degrade others if your a minority, but taboo in society to even speak of other cultures or ethnicity  if your part of the 'white' majority (which as I explained is a falsehood in of itself.)
Equality is  not when it suits one particular culture wanting inequal freedom of expression, or handouts.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 10:29:06 PM »
Antibubba
LAK: What do you think would be the reaction to a magazine entitled "White Men", or "White Enterprize", or "White Culture"?
Antibubba: In that case, they knew it would provoke outrage, so they decided to call it "The New Yorker".
grin

------------------------------------

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 07:18:26 AM »
Don't call me white or caucasian. I'm European-American.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 07:25:14 AM »
Don't call me white or caucasian. I'm European-American.

Brad

Funny..

So I guess I am Native-Hebrew-European-American.

So what if also your European ancestors lived in North American under British, Spanish and French Pocessions before it became the USA?

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 07:52:47 AM »

So what if also your European ancestors lived in North American under British, Spainish and French Pocessions before it became the USA?

Then I believe restitution is in order.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 02:04:26 PM »
I'm part German-American part mutt.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge