Author Topic: The great recycling LIE  (Read 1678 times)

MechAg94

• friend
The great recycling LIE
« on: July 11, 2022, 11:35:42 AM »
https://youtu.be/3R7XAeWCNqI

I thought this video took an interesting look at plastics and recycling.  Basically says plastics manufacturers spent a lot of advertising money encouraging people to throw away plastic containers instead of reusing them.  Then guilt tripped people about recycling while continuing to make cheap single-use containers.  I hadn't heard anyone put quite that twist on things before.  I do agree to the point that it seems many plastic containers are designed to be single use throw-away containers that cannot be reused.  And they are saying many plastics cannot be effectively recycled.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: The great recycling LIE
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 01:04:40 PM »
Saw this one last week.

Not only did WE get duped, but east Asia got duped as well.  Starting in the 80's, the US made a concerted effort to sell the notion of recycling as an industry to several Asian ports.  The US would ship them ships full of mixed plastics, they'd sort them at the docks and realize that 75% or more is garbage that cannot be recycled, and they'd throw it right into the ocean there.  The remainder would get sludged and turned into rubber ducks and whatnot.  This is where the great Pacific garbage patch largely comes from.

You basically have 2 garbage cans.  One's just got some weird triangles on it.

During the great COVID shutdown, we saw the "recycling" trucks picking up yard waste and recycling bins in the same truck at the same time.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 03:05:06 PM »
Reuse and Reduce. It's okay to care about the world if you're not a progressive.

My personal view on recycling is that if someone is willing to buy it then it is a valuable commodity to recycle. All metals fall into that. The rest, I do it on hope but have known for a long time the plastic industry created recycling to benefit them. Kinda like the sugar industry and the government joined hands to tell us fat was bad for a generation.

I would love to see us go back to glass reusable containers but I don't think we can, god knows how many govt sanitation regulations that would spark.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 03:47:35 PM »
Reuse and Reduce. It's okay to care about the world if you're not a progressive.

My personal view on recycling is that if someone is willing to buy it then it is a valuable commodity to recycle. All metals fall into that. The rest, I do it on hope but have known for a long time the plastic industry created recycling to benefit them. Kinda like the sugar industry and the government joined hands to tell us fat was bad for a generation.

I would love to see us go back to glass reusable containers but I don't think we can, god knows how many govt sanitation regulations that would spark.

The real reason glass won't work is transportation. It is too heavy to be transported long distances, much less transported long distances back to be recycled. The American impulse to centralization and transportation is what killed glass.  Glass can work when you have a brewery in every town, and live 5miles from the dairy farm. That's not the America we live in anymore. In many ways it was better the old way. Lots of places in Europe where (with government regulations of course) they are able to still use glass and recycle and refill it on-site.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 04:24:47 PM »

This. Before the enviros and before disposable society, this was SOP. I'm sure many here have anecdotes about parents or grandparents saving and reusing all kinds of stuff. I know when I was cleaning my dad's garage after he passed last year, I still found nut and bolt containers that were the same fruit cans from the 1960s that he used when I was a kid.

I worked at the county dump for a few years as a young buck in the 80's. The county had just started the recycling thing, and fully 50% of everything that got dumped in the recycling areas ended up getting moved a second time to the landfill and buried with everything else.

The "send it to Asia" thing was just another NIMBY thing for the enviros. They didn't care one whit what the environmental consequences of our "recyclables" were in those countries.

I don't know how it works in cities in Idaho, but where I am in hillabilly-ville, we all have one can for everything. I generally burn carboard, spread or mulch grass clippings and stuff, and most everything else goes in the trash can.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 04:41:23 PM »
My parents have an infrequent trash pick up.  They separate what won't burn and that goes to the trash bin to be picked up. 

I can't see us going back to glass, but it would make sense if the plastic industry designed containers to be easier/safer to reuse instead of designed as a single-use and throw it away.  Not sure how that would work.  Companies such as Gatorade are not going to want to process used containers for refill.  Adds a lot of cleaning and disinfecting liability. 

For stuff like water, I guess you can buy the 5 gallon water jugs and refill them at the store. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 05:23:33 PM »
One of my youthful past-times was taking our trash to the burn barrel, and playing with fire. Anything that didn't burn or compost would be collected in the basement, and Dad would take it to the Buick dealership where he turned wrenches, and toss it in the dumpster.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 08:44:42 PM »
My late wife was from South America. In her country, there are (or were, ten years ago) two types of plastic soda bottles: disposable, and reusable. The reusable type were made of much thicker, heavier plastic so they could be taken back to the bottling plant, washed and (hopefully) sterilized, and reused. They made no pretenses about "recycling" the disposable ones. Those went into the regular trash.

Going beyond bottles, IMHO the most effective form of recycling is direct reuse. I know of some small towns around my state that have an area at their town dump or transfer station where people can leave things that still work, but which they no longer want or need. One, in particular, has a building about the size of a 2-car garage for that stuff. Anyone can walk in, poke around, and take whatever they want. Free.

My snooty town, of course, won't do that. Fortunately, the attendants sometimes turn a blind eye if someone somehow misses the dumpster with a perfectly good bicycle their spawn outgrew, and it sits on the ground until someone grabs it. I've gotten bicycles that way that I cleaned up for kids who needed them. Even got a 5,000 watt Coleman generator that way.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 08:47:49 PM »
You know one of the things that I miss the most from the Big House in the 'Burbs I had before the Jen thing?

The trash compactor. Food went down the sinkerator, and anything else went into the compactor. I'd take out the trash when it got full.
Blog under construction

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 10:34:19 PM »
I've seen a commercial a couple times recently where "representatives" from the major soda manufacturers are talking about how the companies are making their bottles from "recyclable" plastic.

I thought they'd (supposedly) been doing that for years.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2022, 10:40:00 PM »
I recycle it all back into the atmosphere or ground. Fire is a marvelous thing.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2022, 10:54:51 PM »
You should see my burn pile right now.  It's 20' x 20' and, at present, is over 9' tall.  And spilling over one end.

Since we're under a burn ban for the foreseeable future, it's going to get a lot larger.

We spend too much for garbage service, we'll have maybe 1/2 of a 30 gallon can per week.

The only recycling I do is metal.  It either gets repurposed or taken to the recycling business in town.  Still trying to come up with a good use for old lawn mower blades, got fifty or so in the pile.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 08:17:09 AM »
<snip>
The only recycling I do is metal.  It either gets repurposed or taken to the recycling business in town.  Still trying to come up with a good use for old lawn mower blades, got fifty or so in the pile.

Sounds like you could start a machete manufacturing business.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2022, 09:35:29 PM »

That sounds interesting.  I'll have to do some research.  I imagine that'll require some forging, which I have an interest (but no training) in.  I've watched Forged in Fire a few times, they've incorporated wire welds in some of their builds, so filling in the mounting hole with weld seems as if it'd work.  Might take some experimenting to get the correct filler material.  Right now I've only got arc & oxy/acetylene setups with hopes to get a small wire welder in the not to distant future.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2022, 09:54:18 PM »

When I was a teenager and learning to weld, I made three lawnmower blades into a czech headgehog.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2022, 09:57:20 PM »
When I was a teenager and learning to weld, I made three lawnmower blades into a czech headgehog.
Really wish you wouldnt have posted that. I dont need another project.
7-11 was a part time job.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2022, 01:47:41 AM »
Milk got kind of shy a while ago and the only thing I could find at Sprouts was quart glass bottles with a $2.00 deposit on them.

I don't thave the exact numbers at hand, but I recall the container weight was almost half the weight of the gross product weight.  I really wondered about the transportation costs, as well as the cleaning and sterilizing the bottles when they got them back.

The bottles had disposable caps, so there was nothing I could use them for at home. After almost a month I had a chance to bring them back (I don't normally shop at Sprouts) for my $2 per.

My only bitch about plastic containers is they usually get too topheavy as product is used.  But they flatten underfoot pretty good for compaction in my trash. 

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2022, 08:10:26 AM »
Really wish you wouldnt have posted that. I dont need another project.

No kidding. I need to practice my welding more (once the weather cools) and these are a great idea as "decoration" on my bridge road.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2022, 03:24:25 PM »
That sounds interesting.  I'll have to do some research.  I imagine that'll require some forging, which I have an interest (but no training) in.  I've watched Forged in Fire a few times, they've incorporated wire welds in some of their builds, so filling in the mounting hole with weld seems as if it'd work.  Might take some experimenting to get the correct filler material.  Right now I've only got arc & oxy/acetylene setups with hopes to get a small wire welder in the not to distant future.

Rather than filling the holes with rod material that might not be as strong as the blade itself, you might be better off heating the blades up, folding them multiple times and make a solid bar to shape into your desired tool.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2022, 09:25:34 PM »
Rather than filling the holes with rod material that might not be as strong as the blade itself, you might be better off heating the blades up, folding them multiple times and make a solid bar to shape into your desired tool.

That's a pretty advanced technique for a guy who has never owned a forge.

I'm thinking of cutting off a piece of the blade (that wouldn't be needed for the finished product) and using the oxy/acetylene to melt that piece into the hole.  It'd require care to not introduce inclusions, porosity, etc. but doable.   

Some of the blades have a tungsten carbide insert at the cutting edge.  It would be nice to incorporate that as the cutting edge of the machete.  They're only about 4" long, so it would take a few of them for the entire length.  That'd be one of those "I'll play with it later" ideas, have to get the basics down first.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2022, 09:36:12 PM »
Why not leave the hole?  You could fill the hole with something like a 7014 or 7018 rod and it will be at least as strong as the blade, but it probably won't match when you finish it.
"It's good, though..."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2022, 09:44:30 PM »
I've got 5# of 11018-m I'd bought back when I had some spare time and an idea to experiment with on mower blades.  The spare time disappeared before I could perform the experiment (it's just on hold, not forgotten), might as well use the rod for something else in the meantime.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2022, 10:28:24 PM »
 I'm subscribed to her!!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2022, 01:34:41 AM »
That's a pretty advanced technique for a guy who has never owned a forge.

I'm thinking of cutting off a piece of the blade (that wouldn't be needed for the finished product) and using the oxy/acetylene to melt that piece into the hole.  It'd require care to not introduce inclusions, porosity, etc. but doable.   

Some of the blades have a tungsten carbide insert at the cutting edge.  It would be nice to incorporate that as the cutting edge of the machete.  They're only about 4" long, so it would take a few of them for the entire length.  That'd be one of those "I'll play with it later" ideas, have to get the basics down first.

Nothing you said there is doable.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2022, 09:11:44 AM »
https://usa.sandrinknives.com/
These guys make Tungsten Carbide blades if you are interested.  Not for the use you are talking about though.