Author Topic: If Biden Steps Down...  (Read 11656 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
If Biden Steps Down...
« on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
then WHAT?

I heard today that Biden is considering stepping aside from the VP nomination. If he does what happens next?

Hillary? Are there anyother Dem Women suitable or politically viable as VP? A guy at work suggested Pelosi - I laughed and said I hope the DEMS are that stupid.

So what happens when/if Biden steps aside?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

lacoochee

Re: If Biden Steps Down...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
I would have to think that replacing Biden would be political suicide at this point.  Can you just imagine the number of political adds such a move would prompt?  It would be the biggest flip-flop of all time...it would demonstrate very poor judgment on Obama's part.
Deo Vindice

* "[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
I would have to think that replacing Biden would be political suicide at this point.  Can you just imagine the number of political adds such a move would prompt?  It would be the biggest flip-flop of all time...it would demonstrate very poor judgment on Obama's part.

The other time a demorat VP candidate stepped down it did not help the campaign any.

<fixed it> I was thinking another one had stepped down, but I can't think who it was besides the nut.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Uhm...

Just where did you hear that, and for what conceivable reason would he step down?

I can only think of one time when a VP candidate has been replaced... Eagleston in 1968. It made bad things even worse for Humphrey.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lacoochee

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
I googled it but it popped so many entries on Liberal Blogs calling for Sarah to step down as a VP candidate that I gave up.  So it has happened before?

Between 1960 and 1966, Eagleton checked himself into the hospital three times for physical and nervous exhaustion, receiving electroconvulsive therapy twice.[1]

Gee, I wonder if the DNC will commit Biden and do electro-shock therapy on him....    cool

Then I found this on Drudge...

ABC News' Matthew Jaffe reports: Sen. Barack Obama's, D-Ill., vice presidential nominee, Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., Wednesday said that Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., might have been a better pick for the position than him.

At a rally in Nashua, N.H., a man in the audience told Biden how glad he was that Obama picked him over Hillary, "not because she's a woman, but because, look at the things she did in the past."

"Make no mistake about this," Biden responded. "Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America. Let’s get that straight. She’s a truly close personal friend, she is qualified to be president of the United States of America, she’s easily qualified to be vice president of the United States of America, and quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me. But she’s first rate, I mean that sincerely, she’s first rate, so let’s get that straight."

Spokesman Ben Porritt offered this response from the McCain camp: "Barack Obama’s most important decision of this election, and Biden -- the candidate he selects -- suggests, himself, that he wasn’t the right man for the job, and that Hillary Clinton would have been a better choice. Biden certainly has a credible viewpoint on this."

Wow, looks like McCain got inside their decision loop, they are completely reacting without thought of any real strategy.  The Obama campaign hasn't had to deal with any real opposition, even when they lost against Hillary for total number of votes in the primary they were still handed the nomination by super delegates.  He was then crowned by the Press as the winner of the Presidential race.  One small reversal and they are reeling, how telling....

Well at least the one core tenet of the Obama ascendancy has been busted wide open, to be Deified you also have to be infallible.  History is replete with the destroyed husks of would be Gods....
Deo Vindice

* "[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
What?  Biden wasn't a good veep choice?  Whodathunkit!

grin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me.   By now Obama knows he blew it by not picking Hillary. 

But picking her now would be an admission that he can't win without her.  She would be de facto President.  I doubt that's a Devil's bargain his ego would permit...even if it put him into the White House.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
They'll lose either way.

It would be "Democrats can't even choose a VP, and you want them to choose your future?"

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me.   By now Obama knows he blew it by not picking Hillary. 

But picking her now would be an admission that he can't win without her.  She would be de facto President.  I doubt that's a Devil's bargain his ego would permit...even if it put him into the White House.
Rumor is that Michelle hates Hillary, with a passion and vengeance that only a woman could muster.  Hell hath no fury, and all that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
"Rumor is that Michelle hates Hillary, with a passion and vengeance that only a woman could muster.  Hell hath no fury, and all that."

Of course she does. Hillary has bigger balls.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
"Rumor is that Michelle hates Hillary, with a passion and vengeance that only a woman could muster.  Hell hath no fury, and all that."

Of course she does. Hillary has bigger balls.

I was thinking that Hillary might actually love America....unlike Michelle O.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
I was thinking that Hillary might actually love America....unlike Michelle O.
I actually think that the country would be in far better hands with Hillary than BHO. She is still a poor choice for president, but an order of magnitude better than BHO.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Actually Biden stepping down would be political suicide for both him and the Democrat party.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
I actually think that the country would be in far better hands with Hillary than BHO. She is still a poor choice for president, but an order of magnitude better than BHO.
While there's no question that Hillary Rodham Clinton would be a bad president, President Barack Hussein Obama would be dangerous to this country.

The GOP would have a field day if Biden drops out (make no mistake, it would NOT "officially" be BHO's decision, it would officially be Biden's, most likely for "health" or "personal" reasons) and Hillary replaced him.

BHO is supposedly meeting with Bill Clinton, who's expected to go out on the campaign trail for BHO soon . . . Bill never does anything without getting a good answer to the question "What's in it for me?" So . . . what does BHO have to offer the Clintons, besides  a possible Vice Presidency? (Maybe a SCOTUS or AG position?  shocked )

Expect more on this . . . watch out if BHO says he's " . . . behind Joe Biden 1000% . . . " like  McGovern was with Eagleton in 1972.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Democrats have recent history of replacing a losing candidate with one that polls better.  I believe it was in New Jersey and IIRC Lautenburg was the stand in for the loser.

AT this point I think it is entire possible Biden could get sick or slip a disk or something to open the slot up for Hillary.  Entirely too much of Hillary's groups are breaking for McCainPalin.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Democrats have recent history of replacing a losing candidate with one that polls better.  I believe it was in New Jersey and IIRC Lautenburg was the stand in for the loser.

AT this point I think it is entire possible Biden could get sick or slip a disk or something to open the slot up for Hillary.  Entirely too much of Hillary's groups are breaking for McCainPalin.

I don't buy it.  They are pro-choicers who believe in things like socialized health care and ending the Iraq war.  I doubt they are switching sides just for the estrogen.  I think the uptick is solely due to the right-wing base.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

agricola

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Is there any space under the bus for Biden if he does go?  It must be at capacity by now, surely.

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
I would suspect that there were a lot of people leaning Democrat simply because a woman might have been on the ticket.

Don't know if you're old enough to remember 1984's election or not, but MANY women, and quite a few men, stated that they ended up voting for the Democratic ticket not because they believed Mondale was the better candidate, but because they thought it was time for a woman to occupy a position of high power.

Now that Hillary is off the Democratic ticket, those people are moving back center, or moving Republican because of Palin's draw.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Don't know if you're old enough to remember 1984's election or not, but MANY women, and quite a few men, stated that they ended up voting for the Democratic ticket not because they believed Mondale was the better candidate, but because they thought it was time for a woman to occupy a position of high power.
You mean Mondale could have lost even worse?
bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Hard to imagine, but yes.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Is there any space under the bus for Biden if he does go?  It must be at capacity by now, surely.

Grease and momentum will make all the difference.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Barack won't pick Hillary.

He's been in search of his manhood ever since Barack the Elder ditched the family.  Picking Hillary would make him look like a child President controlled by a dominating female regent.   One tough, angry woman per household is usually enough.

You can take all that to your therapist for free.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Picking Hillary would make him look like a child President controlled by a dominating female regent.

It would make him look that way because it would be at least partially true.

I think a deal is being attempted to keep the Clintons from putting the knife in BHO's back. Maybe a deal to put Bill on the supreme court in exchange for them agreeing not to backstab him.
bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »

Having to choose between Hillary and BHO is like picking Stalin or Mao. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Barack won't pick Hillary.

He's been in search of his manhood ever since Barack the Elder ditched the family.

Barack won't pick Hillary for a much simpler reason than that:  Barack values Barack's skin.  How long after a BHO/HRC ticket won the election would it be before Hillary was making a "Hero of the people, died before his time, we must carry his vision forward" speech?

Not long enough for a prudent man's sense of self-preservation, I would think.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.