Author Topic: Anybody use OruxMaps app?  (Read 670 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Anybody use OruxMaps app?
« on: March 30, 2015, 03:40:38 PM »
Was looking for a way to download maps onto my android device for offline use and came across this app. Looks to be a pretty impressive app. You can layer different things onto the map and do all sorts of stuff. You can create different zoom levels and everything too. Seems to have a bit of a learning curve to it though, and without having access to the internet with my phone, and having a less than stellar internet at my current location, it makes it difficult to play with it on my own and figure things out. Well, I'm trying to figure a few things out. So let's say that you are looking at.... oh let's go with Japan. Well for me all the names are in Japanese. Is there any way to switch it so it shows English subtitles? Also, any way to make it use Google Maps for the map it uses? ???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Anybody use OruxMaps app?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 04:09:42 PM »
I used to use it for cockpit awareness at work. I really like it. I haven't played with topo info on it since I retired, but at some point will do so for fishing spots and the like.

Google didn't like Orux (and others) downloading their files and did some kind of legal "cease and desist" that required Orux to change their desktop application so you couldn't save Gearth files to offline maps. The older version of the desktop software still let me download Google Earth files to the device (versus live connection). I'm sure I still have that installer somewhere in my archived work files. I'll poke around and if I find it, shoot you a Google Drive link to the exe.

Sorry, don't know about Japanese, but the Orux developer is very approachable, so you could always shoot him an email.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 08:03:42 AM »
Offline I use Navfree, it's the old version of this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.USA&hl=en

But I've seen too many complaints to upgrade to it. If you want I can extract the APK file for NavfreeUSA (I should anyway just so I have a backup)
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 02:08:32 PM »
I'm assuming that the NavFreeUSA is only for a US map?
Ben, would that work with an android device?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:22:48 PM »
I'm assuming that the NavFreeUSA is only for a US map?
Ben, would that work with an android device?

Do you mean the Orux Desktop? That's actually a PC program that you use to create custom maps for Orux, then transfer the maps to your Android to access as a map layer in Orux.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 07:14:37 AM »
Ooooooooh, cool. That sounds handy.