Author Topic: Houston orders pastors to hand over sermons and private communications...  (Read 19565 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Houston orders pastors to hand over sermons and private communications...
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2014, 10:20:17 AM »
No, I'm claiming that in the US Christians are more likely than other groups to have succeeded in religious based intrusive government.

Fair enough, but I wonder whether you realize that religiously-inspired intrusive laws are no better or worse than intrusive laws not inspired by religious motives.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2014, 10:30:33 AM »
Fair enough, but I wonder whether you realize that religiously-inspired intrusive laws are no better or worse than intrusive laws not inspired by religious motives.

Oh I do.  See earlier CS lewis quote and Progressivism.

I was responding only in the limited context of "Baptists don't oppress" with a "yeah they do" and some anecdotes of such.  Don't extrapolate that out to "They are the mostest evils in the world!".

You guys barely break the top 50 these days. =D

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2014, 11:02:35 AM »
The Catholics are off the hook on teetotaling. Especially the Irish ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »
Are there pagan hymnals?

Pagan parsonages?

Pagan pot-bless chili suppers?

How about pagan Sunday school?

Vacation pagan school in the summer?
I think you could easily find some sort of "pagan" version of all of those  ;)

It's funny that I actually side with the pastors in this thread, they should tell the .gov to FOAD, when those very same mega-church pastors are the ones most likely to influance city hall into the laws I'm complaining about. 
Not really - liberty is liberty no matter who or whom  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

griz

• friend
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2014, 08:40:59 AM »

However, due in large part to the "anti-god influence of media" several Baptist churches got together and got the small town in North FL my cousin lives in to strengthen their public decency laws.  "Too many of those dang Goths" were coming over from JAX. (No seriously, that's what her pastor said).  As a result I've seen my cousin's 14YO daughter stopped by police on the sidewalk outside her school to measure the length of her volleyball shorts.  Churches drafted the law, churches pushed it before the city council, church members voted it in, and church members with guns enforce it regardless of your religious affiliation.  Seems I've heard of another major religion that makes laws if their women show to much skin........hmmmm.

What city is that?  I know some places try to be more "decent" than others, but other than school dress codes, I've never heard of getting to the point of measuring shorts.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2014, 09:10:07 AM »
The Catholics are off the hook on teetotaling. Especially the Irish ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you know what the difference is between a Catholic friend and a southern Baptist friend?

The Catholic will know you when they run into you at the liquor store.

I'm very much a "live and let live" kind of atheist.  In this case I strongly support the preachers telling the city to pound sand. It would be hard for me to envision much more of a blatant attack on the first amendment.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2014, 11:10:57 AM »
I don't particularly care if it's biblical or not.  Y'all are welcome to argue over how is more true to your text till the cows come home.  My point was, and is, that the christian mainstream culture in this country, through sheer force of numbers, often legislates their opinion of their religion.  It is common at the local level.  It's also pretty annoying, even if it's little stuff, to non members of that particular religion.

You churchgoers can frett and pontificate on the biblical aspects of various laws, and weather the "Bless their heart" judgments from LE, county councils, and judges are good Christianity or bad, but it still has to be delt with on a daily basis by folks that don't need or want any of your help in their spirituality.

I'd say you don't even know how deeply your religion invades all aspects of your thinking, but the few Baptists in positions of authority I've talked to about it Self Righteously told me that they KNEW they were spreading the faith by law, and that it was good.  Which is why Baptists sit on the oppression list.  I'd bet money that if I spent more time in the upper midwest the Presbyterians would join them.

Now please proceed with telling me how the laws that I have witnessed, and the people who have told me they were using their county seat to enact or keep religious laws aren't real christians, don't follow the bible or some other crap that has no practical outcome on living with self righteous bible thumping aholes.

I ended reading this in my head with the voice of John Cleese:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

What have they ever done for US?
1. Logic.
2. Empiricism and modern science.
3. Universal view of human worth.
4. Philosophical underpinnings that helped to end chattel slavery on 90% of the earth.
5. The very idea of the hospital.
6. Etc, etc, etc.

Simply put, were it not for folk like those you despise, we would all still be slaves of some despot and peeing in the same stream we get our drinking water from instead of grousing about how free folk exercise their franchise at the polls.

FTR: Long live Federalism and the 10th Amendment, so I can pack up and move if ever my neighbors get intolerably up in my business.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2014, 05:56:19 PM »
The soft tyranny comment reminded me of the CS Lewis quote

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - CS Lewis

I'm sorry, but to me I would say that the progressives fit the above description of moral busybodies much better than modern cultural Christianity.  
I saw this quote and started to reply before I saw the last sentence.  I do agree that "moral busybodies" often decribes liberal leftists whether they are Christian or not. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2014, 06:03:20 PM »
The difference I find is that the Christian Moral Busybodies will wave their index finger at you and give you a disapproving look.  The Progressive Moral Busybodies will pass a law to make it illegal.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2014, 06:37:30 PM »
I think some folks need to recalibrate their meter that distinguishes between "oppressed" and "slightly inconvenienced."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2014, 07:45:57 PM »
So a judge ordering a pastor to perform a gay marriage he finds morally, religiously and spirituously repugnant is a "slight inconvenience?"
If the reich was stuffing pastors in gas ovens would that count as oppression? [tinfoil]

When we have a government trying to force companies run by believers to provide abortofacients via their healthcare program, or where judges are "ordering" religious actions against the belief of the church, then however you cut it, we have a government that's grown too big and intrusive and badly needs pruning.

Atleast kudzo isn't an endangered specie. [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2014, 08:00:56 PM »
So a judge ordering a pastor to perform a gay marriage he finds morally, religiously and spirituously repugnant is a "slight inconvenience?"
If the reich was stuffing pastors in gas ovens would that count as oppression? [tinfoil]

When we have a government trying to force companies run by believers to provide abortofacients via their healthcare program, or where judges are "ordering" religious actions against the belief of the church, then however you cut it, we have a government that's grown too big and intrusive and badly needs pruning.

Atleast kudzo isn't an endangered specie. [popcorn]

You're in the wrong thread. This is the one where Southern Baptists are oppressing the population by making them wait until 1201pm to buy liquor on Sunday.

FTR I am not a baptist of any sort and I live in one of if not the most hostile to religion places in America, so maybe the Sharia Baptists really are a problem in America's Penis Florida.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2014, 09:44:58 PM »
http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2014/10/no-guys-its-not-first-amendment.html

Just the thought of someone who is (I believe) slightly respected here

Personally, I prefer the government stay out of religious issues. But I agree with what Peter has written about public businesses (to a point: I also respect a business owner's right to be an ass)
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2014, 10:18:58 PM »
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that so many believe in the Imaginary Law of the Universe, that opening one's business to the public divests one of control over said business.  :facepalm:

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2014, 11:33:03 PM »
I think it's funny that one loses the religious part of the first amendment if you start a business or get a job, but not the free speech part. Odd how that works.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2014, 11:45:21 PM »
Somehow the "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" part got thrown out.
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Somehow the "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" part got thrown out.

What!? You are completely free to exercise it.

For an hour each week. Behind the doors of your chosen sanctuary. On whatever one day of the week you choose.  

(Unless you are muslim, of course.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2014, 12:08:41 AM »
You are also completely free to believe that blacks are inferior and subhuman. You just aren't allowed to refuse them service if you own a business

*shrug*

So... if a Pagan owned a gas station, and refused to sell fuel to Christians based on religious beliefs, you would be supportive of them?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2014, 12:15:10 AM »
Yea

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
You are also completely free to believe that blacks are inferior and subhuman. You just aren't allowed to refuse them service if you own a business

*shrug*

So... if a Pagan owned a gas station, and refused to sell fuel to Christians based on religious beliefs, you would be supportive of them?

Yes. Or a pagan baker. Or photographer. Or Hobby store owner.  Or....
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2014, 01:00:34 AM »

*shrug*

1. Yes
2. Is selling gas a religious endeavor or in any way an endorsement of activity one is morally opposed to? Given that none of these case involve refusal to serve based on sexuality, merely refusal to participate in a specific religious ceremony which they object to.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:04:24 AM by Balog »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2014, 02:06:13 AM »

*shrug*

Morally, no. Legally, yes. I'd be morally opposed to the way they run their business, just like I'd be morally opposed to a whites-only gas station. But I wouldn't force either of them to change.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2014, 09:12:10 AM »
If a business wishing to turn away paying customers, they should be able to do so.  As long as they do not seek to prevent competitors from taking that business or starting up to compete with them.  Free and open markets is the goal.  "Free" applies in a number of ways. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge