Author Topic: Reverend Wright Is Offensive  (Read 23578 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
Reverend Wright Is Offensive
« on: April 27, 2008, 03:28:12 PM »
to me.

He condescends to tell me that "different" is not "deficient"

Well, thank you sir: I did not realize that.

Why then do you belittle our European-based culture?
Why do you belittle the music and speech of Americans that have evolved over two centuries?
Why do you feel it necessary to pimp your "forthcoming" book on national TV, if you're seriously anything but a coattail-hanging pimp for Obama?

You gob of pus.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Reverend Wright Is Offensive
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 03:31:12 PM »
Yeah, I just saw the speech.

He seemed actually low-key after the screaming NAACP president that introduced him, though. I thought that guy was gonna have a heart attack in the middle of his furious rant.

I'm sure Wright making fun of JFK's accent is going to go over really well.

I think he just did a lot of damage to racial equality by claiming that people of African descent have completely different brains than those of European decent, and can't learn by reading, only oral tradition. That it's normal for them to "climb on desks". What the hell?

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 03:38:02 PM »
How does one simultaneously 'pimp' someone and 'ride his coattails'?

Why do you belittle the music and speech of Americans that have evolved over two centuries?
I'm struggling to think of 'American music' that isn't sourced at least in part from African-American culture (country/bluegrass being the 'in part' - everything else just went in whole hog). Some avant-garde classical and noise (and other things no one listens to) - but we know all those pointy-headed liberal artists are racists anyway.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

johnster999

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 03:45:43 PM »
I agree that he is offensive.

So, wood, you do not find Rev. Wright to be offensive?

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »

I don't 'find' him at all. A jolly old Englishman gave us a wonderful phrase about four hundred years back: "much ado about nothing."
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

johnster999

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 04:01:32 PM »

I don't 'find' him at all. A jolly old Englishman gave us a wonderful phrase about four hundred years back: "much ado about nothing."

Oh, ok. So indeed you do not find the good Rev to be particularly offensive at all. Glad we got that out of the way.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 04:03:22 PM »
They just showed video from one of his appearances earlier today, in which he said that Michelle Obama would be "the first black woman to sleep at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue legally."

That's not offensive?

johnster999

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 04:16:09 PM »
They just showed video from one of his appearances earlier today, in which he said that Michelle Obama would be "the first black woman to sleep at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue legally."

That's not offensive?

Disgusting. Basically gutter talk from a supposed man of God.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 04:30:01 PM »

That's not offensive?

If I don't even know what that means, how am I supposed to find it offensive? Sometimes you have to write off gibberish as gibberish.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 04:31:50 PM »
So indeed you do not find the good Rev to be particularly offensive at all.
What he says may or may not be offensive. But the man himself?

Why should I care about him?

There are 350 million Americans and at least a few million religious hucksters peddling their wares on a daily basis. If I got apoplectic every time one of them said something stupid, I would scarcely have time to breathe.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 04:37:18 PM »
Never mind the man himself.  Do you consider what Rev Wright says to be offensive, Chief?

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 04:38:34 PM »
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, when I can be bothered to read them.

I'm still hoping someone can tell me why I should care.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 04:45:15 PM »
Why should you care?  You can't see any reason why Rev Wright's speeches, sermons, and beliefs might matter to you?

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 04:52:37 PM »
Not particularly, no.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 05:02:52 PM »
Hey wood, the sky is blue, don't you agree?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 05:13:55 PM »

Because he has the ear of the man who stands a 1 in 3 chance of being our next President?  If not for that one key element, he would be irrelevant. 

Chris

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 05:36:58 PM »
Because he has the ear of the man who stands a 1 in 3 chance of being our next President?
He's the former pastor of the aforementioned man.

Give me a reason to believe he'll be making policy, and I might care.

How much influence has George Bush's pastor wielded in the White House? How much did Clinton's?
Is there any reason to believe that Obama is so religious that the word of his former preacher is the word of God and must be obeyed? Does the 'hyper-religious Christian Obama' narrative fit into any framework offered up yet, do right-wingers really want to try to make that argument (or will he be an America-hating secularist and a religious zealot?)?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 05:58:51 PM »
Because he has the ear of the man who stands a 1 in 3 chance of being our next President?
He's the former pastor of the aforementioned man.

Give me a reason to believe he'll be making policy, and I might care.

How much influence has George Bush's pastor wielded in the White House? How much did Clinton's?
Is there any reason to believe that Obama is so religious that the word of his former preacher is the word of God and must be obeyed? Does the 'hyper-religious Christian Obama' narrative fit into any framework offered up yet, do right-wingers really want to try to make that argument (or will he be an America-hating secularist and a religious zealot?)?

Who said anything about religion?  His religion is a non-issue.  His beliefs are the issue and the fact that he and Obama are associates is an issue.  It stands to reason that they were associates because they held or hold similar beliefs (non-religious beliefs).  While he may not be influencing policy directly, the mere fact that Obama and Wright were close indicates the sort of (non-religious) beliefs Obama holds.

It isn't an influence issue, Wright is merely an indicator of the sort of person Obama is.

Chris

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 06:12:10 PM »

That's not offensive?

Is it true?

I mean, it seems unlikely...

But, if it is true, what's to be offended about?  (Beyond the ridiculous fact of such an occurrence.)
Zeke

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 06:34:49 PM »
Who said anything about religion?  His religion is a non-issue.  His beliefs are the issue and the fact that he and Obama are associates is an issue.
How are he and Obama associated, again?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 06:54:10 PM »
Who said anything about religion?  His religion is a non-issue.  His beliefs are the issue and the fact that he and Obama are associates is an issue.
How are he and Obama associated, again?
Are you serious?

You're a reasonably well informed person.  I can only assume that you know that Obama's association to Wright is a 20-some year close personal, spiritual, familial, and political relationship.  The obvious implication is that they share some agreement on personal, spiritual, familial, and political issues.  But you already knew all this, right Chief?

Quit playing coy and speak directly.  Don't ask questions to which you already know, or should already know, the answers.  If you have a point, Chief, make it.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 07:26:49 PM »
I can only assume that you know that Obama's association to Wright is a 20-some year close personal, spiritual, familial, and political relationship.
Which takes what form, again?

Jeremiah Wright is Obama's _____ ?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 07:35:27 PM »
I can only assume that you know that Obama's association to Wright is a 20-some year close personal, spiritual, familial, and political relationship.
Which takes what form, again?

Jeremiah Wright is Obama's _____ ?
"friend"

"mentor"

"pastor"

"(former) campaigner"

"political liability"

...take your pick.  Feel free to add more to the list as necessary.

taurusowner

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 08:19:39 PM »
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, when I can be bothered to read them.

As long as you refrain from voting, I for one am fine with your self inflicted ignorance of national issues.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008, 08:56:29 PM »
...take your pick.  Feel free to add more to the list as necessary.
So we've got friend, mentor and Pastor. One we're fairly sure about, one is a fact, and one depends on a viewpoint ('mentor'? did Obama ever show any signs of wishing to enter whatever you call the Protestant 'priesthood'?).

But it was, without question, a pastoral relationship, was it not? The primary links between the two men being church attendance, marriage ceremonies, baptisms and such. So when mtnbkr tries to shift away from this being a religious relationship, that would be incorrect, would it not?

, I for one am fine with your self inflicted ignorance of national issues.
National issues? Is Jeremiah Wright running for President?