Author Topic: Tha "Blue Helmets" are coming!!  (Read 23964 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Tha "Blue Helmets" are coming!!
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 09:24:40 AM »
I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to mock and despise them  :P

Ditto
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 09:25:52 AM »
I guess they want to observe in Iowa.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »
Mind you, I think I qualify as the person on this board that hates the UN the most from first hand experience with them.

Dunno, Rev.  My paid government "vacation" monitoring mass graves in Bosnia doesn't exactly endear me to the UN, either...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2012, 11:41:05 AM »
Completely off topic, but Gewehr98, your avatar is completely mesmerizing...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2012, 11:56:37 AM »

Yup, little dude gets plenty of fiber.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2012, 12:03:04 PM »
Some of this also makes me wonder just how much support the UN actually has in this country.  A lot of people hate them passionately, but how many still think it is a useful or a good organization?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »
Are the acrobatics really necessary? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2012, 01:01:28 PM »
Dunno, Rev.  My paid government "vacation" monitoring mass graves in Bosnia doesn't exactly endear me to the UN, either...

Yea, I was in the same neck of the woods. Sigh. Fun times.

Some of this also makes me wonder just how much support the UN actually has in this country.  A lot of people hate them passionately, but how many still think it is a useful or a good organization?

Eh, there are fuzzy wuzzy idealistic types that support a true one world government under the UN. Pretty rare, and most of those types lack the ruthlessness to actually change anything meaningful. How many of them have worked in the Peace Corps or similar venues, changing little to nothing strategically?

So, sure, plenty of folks think the UN is vaguely a useful or good organization. And parts of it are. World Health Organization, International Civil Aviation Organization, International Telecommunication Union, etc have all done pretty good things. Plenty of BAD things as well, I don't disagree. But general sweeping statements are never accurate.

;)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
http://washingtonexaminer.com/state-dept-texas-cant-arrest-international-election-observers/article/2511845

“I’m not going to get into any kind of hypothetical situations or predict where this is going to go other than to say we have every expectation that this will be worked out and to state the fact, which is that under U.S. law they are eligible for immunities,” said State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland. Reporters tried to get her to state explicitly that Texas could not arrest election observers from the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), but Nuland would only reiterate that OSCE observers have full immunity.

Hrmm. If they're a private organization, just how the hell do they get to claim diplomatic immunity?

lysander6

• Ragnaroks!
  • Gun Control is Mind Control.
    • ZeroGov
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2012, 02:03:53 PM »
Here is a riddle for you since we are discussing the UN.  If so many are opposed to world government then why do so many politicos and their adherents in the general population dismiss the idea of America breaking apart into its constituent secessionist parts like the USSR in 1989-91? If bigger is truly better would it not be logical to apprehend that those who wish for the US to be unitary should be just as sympathetic to world government?

Food for thought.

BTW, I despise the UN but think there is enough tomfoolery in US elections to warrant international observation.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2012, 02:51:46 PM »
http://washingtonexaminer.com/state-dept-texas-cant-arrest-international-election-observers/article/2511845

Hrmm. If they're a private organization, just how the hell do they get to claim diplomatic immunity?

Any country can grant diplomatic immunity to anyone they choose. They generally don't, for obvious reasons.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2012, 04:27:43 PM »
Here is a riddle for you since we are discussing the UN.  If so many are opposed to world government then why do so many politicos and their adherents in the general population dismiss the idea of America breaking apart into its constituent secessionist parts like the USSR in 1989-91? If bigger is truly better would it not be logical to apprehend that those who wish for the US to be unitary should be just as sympathetic to world government?

Food for thought.

<sarc>"But, but, we're different"</sarc>

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2012, 06:34:25 PM »

Food for thought.

BTW, I despise the UN but think there is enough tomfoolery in US elections to warrant international observation.

You really think an organization composed of a menagerie of tinpot dictators can keep us honest if we can't do it by ourselves? :O
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2012, 06:41:52 PM »
You really think an organization composed of a menagerie of tinpot dictators can keep us honest if we can't do it by ourselves? :O

Except this entity is not part of the UN.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »

But... but... 'Muhrica!  9-11!  The towers!  Didn't you see them towers?  U-S-A!  U-S-A!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »
At what point of granularity does your analogy stop lysander? Unless you're at full on anarchist, any form of .gov meets the criteria you're applying there.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2012, 01:07:06 AM »
Except this entity is not part of the UN.
Is it associated with the U.N.?   
If not what do blue helmets have to do with the price of Perch in Peoria-- or this thread?

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2012, 01:25:15 AM »

If not what do blue helmets have to do with the price of Perch in Peoria-- or this thread?

See reply #18.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

lysander6

• Ragnaroks!
  • Gun Control is Mind Control.
    • ZeroGov
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2012, 11:24:31 AM »
At what point of granularity does your analogy stop lysander? Unless you're at full on anarchist, any form of .gov meets the criteria you're applying there.

Balog,

I am an individualist anarchist so your observation is correct.  I employ the term abolitionist to more precisely define my sentiments.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2012, 11:57:50 AM »
Not this stuff again.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »

Like WHO and other directly sponsored agencies?

No.

It is independent.  But they meet with the UN.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »
Eh, there are fuzzy wuzzy idealistic types that support a true one world government under the UN. Pretty rare, and most of those types lack the ruthlessness to actually change anything meaningful.

Not sure how rare....ever been to a STAR TREK convention?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2012, 07:01:53 PM »
Like WHO and other directly sponsored agencies?

No.

It is independent.  But they meet with the UN.

That's good enough for me -- they keep bad company.  Shame shame....

birdman

• friend
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »
How come we can't do an indelible ink finger (purple finger) when voting like in other countries where we try to encourage /assist fair elections?  it would certainly prevent voting twice, and combined with voter ID, effectively eliminate the most common voting issues (intelligible voters through ID, multi-location voters with the ink)

Also, we try to do ID in other countries when we help, why is it wrong here?  All the normal arguments (too hard to get, cost, etc) go out the window when you look at where we do it?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »
we try to do ID in other countries when we help, why is it wrong here?

It's racist!  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin