Author Topic: One Home Search Away From Being Adam Lanza  (Read 15000 times)

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
Re: One Home Search Away From Being Adam Lanza
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2013, 10:03:43 PM »
This definitely explains a lot. I am glad the moderators figured it out.  =D
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

brimic

• friends
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2013, 10:56:45 PM »
To whom it may concern, which ought to be all of you:

Someone has changed my screen name.  Boys will be boys, I guess.

I would like to believe that this is some ill-conceived April Fool's joke, but then again I'm a bit cynical at this point in life.

/longeyes/

At least it wasn't changed to Agent Provocateur. :P
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2013, 10:59:06 PM »
Or Mr. Entrapment.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2013, 12:43:29 AM »
I originally voted for "Soothsayer", myself.  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2013, 09:34:33 AM »
I originally voted for "Soothsayer", myself.  ;)

Well, I will note it's not April Fools anymore, so someone ought to let our "FBI Informant" go back undercover.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2013, 09:54:27 AM »
I must point out to you that I know even less about the killers' parents at Columbine. (And I don't remember their names, BY CHOICE. These sub-human wretches don't even deserve infamy.)

That's not a conspiracy, that just seems to be the way it works. (Same for Virginia Tech, Arizona, Denver, etc...)

The difference is his mother bought the guns. One would think there would be more out there about the woman who armed one of the most horrific mass murderers in our history.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2013, 10:17:53 AM »
The difference is his mother bought the guns. One would think there would be more out there about the woman who armed one of the most horrific mass murderers in our history.

Yes, but she armed him as a consequence of her own murder.

Reporters also have an aversion to appearing to blame the victim. My guess is that is also at play.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2013, 01:04:14 PM »
When you get to wife #3 you can call it a quorum, not a conspiracy. =D

It's too bad we have to eat our own, even here.   This forum supposedly bars personal attacks, so you would think that those charged with maintaining order would follow that dictum most scrupulously.   You'd think; you'd be wrong.

A lot about Newtown just doesn't wash, and my view is just that we need to find out why, especially given that this is the straw that is meant to break our backs.   The bogie of "conspiracy theories" is overdone, but why noodle about semantics.  The point is that there are people who will lie, cheat, steal, and murder to further their agenda.  Whether they do this in formal conspiracies, shared agendas, or just as swimmers in the same cultural stream doesn't matter as much as what is being done and why and to whom for what purpose.  There is a lot we don't know, can't know, will never probably know, but we should try to discern its outlines, if only by circumstantial evidence, as well as we can--for our own self-protection.

Clique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JjkQSREjxH0#t=30s

Clique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YfjTZLxekig#t=45s

Boom.

Inherent in most all human organizations.  Lots of them can be explained by analogy to junior high school.

As for the Adam Lanza deal, sometimes a cigar 10mm is just a cigar 10mm(0). 

Yes, sometimes meaning can be inferred from firearms purchases/ownership.  For instance, if the only thing you knew about Farmer A was that he owned only a single shot 12ga shotgun and Farmer B that he owned only a single centerfire rifle, odds are that A is from east of the Mississippi and B is more likely from out west.  Does anyone think there is no correlation between military service and Beretta M92 ownership?  RG revolvers, Raven semi-autos and family income?  Multiple comblock rifles (AK, SKS, M-N) in the same cartridge, spam cans of that milsurp cartridge, and preppers?  Not so far-fetched.

FWIW, I am not seeing Lanza's Glock 10mm as anything other than chance/impulse.  I recall one of those Shooter's Bible/Annual Handgun Skinny books that contained 20+ magazine articles plus a catalog of (then) currently produced guns from years back(1).  The author/editor/collator was a big fan of 10mm and Glock 10mm in particular.  LOTs of them available via used books stores.  Perhaps Mama or Adam Lanza read that and went all 10mm Glock-happy.  You know the kinda folks I am talking about.  You may have been the sort of folks I am talking about. 

Of course, what is news and what isn't news has been determined, in large part, by the New York Times for decades.  Even many small-town newspapers look to the NYT for "what is fit to print."  It is no secret that the NYT has always pushed its own agenda and had turned the agenda-pushing knob up to eleven in the last decade or so.  Sometimes it gets a big head of steam behind it (current gun-grabbing bubble, gay pseudo-marriage) and sometimes not so much (Women must be allowed to join Augusta National!).  This can be carried over to the MSM in a more diluted fashion.  MSM, gov't functionaries, policritters, high finance....all pull from the same colleges and end up with similarly-minded folk with many shared assumptions.  You don't need an explicit conspiracy to get the results we see.  Though, there is a conspiracy in many cases.  What was Journolist, but a loose conspiracy by MSM folks to promote their agendas and destroy their enemies?  (Think that has stopped?)  Climategate email & source code releases (I, II, and now III) demonstrate dictionary-definition conspiracy.  Hard to argue, "There is no conspiracy" when conspirators' own communications say otherwise.

(0) FTR, I wish I had bought one of those old S&W 10mm semi-autos when S&W bumped uglies with Clinton and gun shops were shucking off S&W product like prom dresses.

(1) The first such book I ever read as a kid had Bren Ten pistols listed.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2013, 01:10:54 PM »
Oh, someone with admin privileges want to restore my usual avatar & username? 

Note, next 01APR, a much more poultry-rific avatar would be Foghorn Leghorn. 

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2013, 02:11:15 PM »
Clique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JjkQSREjxH0#t=30s

Clique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YfjTZLxekig#t=45s

Boom.

Inherent in most all human organizations.  Lots of them can be explained by analogy to junior high school.

As for the Adam Lanza deal, sometimes a cigar 10mm is just a cigar 10mm(0). 

Yes, sometimes meaning can be inferred from firearms purchases/ownership.  For instance, if the only thing you knew about Farmer A was that he owned only a single shot 12ga shotgun and Farmer B that he owned only a single centerfire rifle, odds are that A is from east of the Mississippi and B is more likely from out west.  Does anyone think there is no correlation between military service and Beretta M92 ownership?  RG revolvers, Raven semi-autos and family income?  Multiple comblock rifles (AK, SKS, M-N) in the same cartridge, spam cans of that milsurp cartridge, and preppers?  Not so far-fetched.

FWIW, I am not seeing Lanza's Glock 10mm as anything other than chance/impulse.  I recall one of those Shooter's Bible/Annual Handgun Skinny books that contained 20+ magazine articles plus a catalog of (then) currently produced guns from years back(1).  The author/editor/collator was a big fan of 10mm and Glock 10mm in particular.  LOTs of them available via used books stores.  Perhaps Mama or Adam Lanza read that and went all 10mm Glock-happy.  You know the kinda folks I am talking about.  You may have been the sort of folks I am talking about. 

Of course, what is news and what isn't news has been determined, in large part, by the New York Times for decades.  Even many small-town newspapers look to the NYT for "what is fit to print."  It is no secret that the NYT has always pushed its own agenda and had turned the agenda-pushing knob up to eleven in the last decade or so.  Sometimes it gets a big head of steam behind it (current gun-grabbing bubble, gay pseudo-marriage) and sometimes not so much (Women must be allowed to join Augusta National!).  This can be carried over to the MSM in a more diluted fashion.  MSM, gov't functionaries, policritters, high finance....all pull from the same colleges and end up with similarly-minded folk with many shared assumptions.  You don't need an explicit conspiracy to get the results we see.  Though, there is a conspiracy in many cases.  What was Journolist, but a loose conspiracy by MSM folks to promote their agendas and destroy their enemies?  (Think that has stopped?)  Climategate email & source code releases (I, II, and now III) demonstrate dictionary-definition conspiracy.  Hard to argue, "There is no conspiracy" when conspirators' own communications say otherwise.

(0) FTR, I wish I had bought one of those old S&W 10mm semi-autos when S&W bumped uglies with Clinton and gun shops were shucking off S&W product like prom dresses.

(1) The first such book I ever read as a kid had Bren Ten pistols listed.

The Glock 10mm was not, repeat not, the primary issue.  I noted that the main triad of weapons N. Lanza owned--Bushmaster, Glock and SIG pistols--suggested a possible government issue.  I opined that it was an unusual selection--not an impossible one--for female shooters.  That's it, the long & the short of it.

Nor did I affirm a conspiracy as such.

And, lastly, your point about the NY Times, JournoList, et al. is not something I disagree with.  But what that points to is that we need a broader definition of "conspiracy" to reflect cultural concurrence. 

What remains, however, is the paucity of hard information to fill out the context of the Sandy Hook event.  And that, to me, indicates that there is more to this than meets the eye.  You may have another opinion.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
Yes, but she armed him as a consequence of her own murder.

Reporters also have an aversion to appearing to blame the victim. My guess is that is also at play.

No, the sketchy reports we are getting seem to indicate that she provided him access to weapons as well encouragement in the use of them.

If he was emotionally disturbed and prone to outbursts or violence/threats of violence I'm not sure I understand her allowing him access to guns.

She does not at this point seem to be someone we should embrace as representitive of the typical gun owner.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2013, 05:53:01 PM »
Or maybe some Gun Shop Commando pitched her a deal.  "See this 10MM?  The FBI uses these, so you know they are the greatest things since sliced bread.  Plus, this one is on-sale and can be had for the low, low price of.....".
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2013, 07:24:54 PM »
Now HERE's some legal gobbledy-gook for you:

That the investigation, which was the basis for the issuing of the search warrant, is still continuing. That no arrests have been made and while none are currently anticipated, arrests have not been ruled out and the investigation is fully active and on-going by both state and federal authorities. Additionally:

• There is information contained in the non-redacted search warrant affidavit and return that is not known to the general public and any potential suspect(s), the disclosure of which would jeopardize the investigation and chances of successfully solving any crime(s) involved;

This was dated March 27 -- that's more than three MONTHS after the crime. The perpetrator and his mother (the source of the guns) are both dead. The police have long since known where the guns were bought, and that they were all purchased legally within Connecticut. What's to protect? Why the secrecy? The crime HAS BEEN solved. This is nothing but a ploy to keep the general public from knowing what the police know until after the legislature has shoved draconian new anti-gun laws through. Once the new laws are in place, the State Police will be only too happy to talk about what they found -- but they won't admit that nothing they found justifies the new laws.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2013, 07:33:07 PM »
Wife #1 absolutely loved to shoot it.  Wife #2, not so much.

Maybe anecdotal, maybe data.  Who knows? 

Remember, "The plural of anecdote is not data."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »
Remember, "The plural of anecdote is not data."

birdman addressed this rather elegantly in some past post, but in reality the plurality of anecdote IS data.  The difference being in the methodology of collecting the data points/anecdotes.  Empiricism states that knowledge (~data) comes about via observation.  If sloppily and unsystematically collected, that data is not worth much and many more observations are required to see patterns and draw conclusions. OTOH, if the data is collected in a methodologically sound fashion, one might be able to use it with confidence.

Thing is, before the scientific method was codified and before statistics (the discipline) were understood, people were still able to learn things about the world and see patterns.  We would never have been able to come up with the scientific method had our forebears not done so.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2013, 01:34:23 PM »
birdman addressed this rather elegantly in some past post, but in reality the plurality of anecdote IS data.  The difference being in the methodology of collecting the data points/anecdotes.  Empiricism states that knowledge (~data) comes about via observation.  If sloppily and unsystematically collected, that data is not worth much and many more observations are required to see patterns and draw conclusions. OTOH, if the data is collected in a methodologically sound fashion, one might be able to use it with confidence.

Thing is, before the scientific method was codified and before statistics (the discipline) were understood, people were still able to learn things about the world and see patterns.  We would never have been able to come up with the scientific method had our forebears not done so.

I've hit my thumb with a hammer a few times.

I'm not really interested in scientifically collecting more data.  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2013, 07:12:54 PM »
I've hit my thumb with a hammer a few times.

I'm not really interested in scientifically collecting more data.  :lol:

One part of sound methodology is repeatability.  Looks like you got that covered.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2013, 12:20:18 AM »
Oh, someone with admin privileges want to restore my usual avatar & username? 

Note, next 01APR, a much more poultry-rific avatar would be Foghorn Leghorn. 

Don't forget the Chickenhawk: ;)

"It's good, though..."