Author Topic: Looks like NY has started enforcing their SAFE magazine ban.  (Read 12067 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Looks like NY has started enforcing their SAFE magazine ban.
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »
everyone everywhere at all times is doing something that gives "probable cause."

you live in a different world than i do.  do share some of these experiences of yours.  key word yours

1. I'm a motorcyclist.  Automatically a bad guy.
2. I've got a "Join or Die" segmented snake lapel pin, RWVA oval logo lapel pin, and "Rifleman" lapel pin on my jacket.  Automatic TEA Party turr'ist armed to the teeth, grounds for Terry Stop frisking for Ossifer Safety.
3. Tent on bike.  Drifter.  Unwanted.  Run him off.
4. Out of State plates.
5. "Unsecured load" laws are highly subjective and give grounds for questionable traffic stops with nothing else wrong.

Plenty of opportunity for extended abuse of this motorist.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 01:47:34 PM »
It's impossible to be free of unreasonable searches and seizures when there are so many (selectively enforced) laws that everyone everywhere at all times is doing something that gives "probable cause." Do you honestly not see how "You're constantly in violation of the law, which justifies us searching you whenever the hell we feel like it" is directly contradictory to "We're safeguarded from unreasonable searches because they have to show good cause"? Also, you seem to be in favor of selective enforcement here. Are you happy to have everyone be a de facto criminal and the cops only punish the people they feel deserve it?

QFT.

This, to me, is an enormous problem and the root of this entire discussion. I believe it is a societal problem and not the making of LE, but LE participates in it because it's there. Having tens of thousands of bad laws that good cops don't enforce, and bad cops (or just cops in a bad mood) enforce, is a sad commentary on our society. It is the root of capricious law enforcement.

It stems back to us turning from a society where everything not expressly forbidden is allowed, to a society where anything not expressly allowed is forbidden.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »
everyone everywhere at all times is doing something that gives "probable cause."

you live in a different world than i do.  do share some of these experiences of yours.  key word yours

Change lanes without a signal? Forget to renew your registration by a month?  Speed?  Not see the tiny 10"x10" school zone sign and blast through it?  Don't come to a complete stop?  Pass on the right?  Speed in a work zone?  Tail light or brake light burnt out?

And then there is 'subjectivity'. 
Weaving a little bit? Get pulled over on suspicion of DUI. 
Following too closely? Subjective.
Driving unsafely for road conditions?

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »
It's impossible to be free of unreasonable searches and seizures when there are so many (selectively enforced) laws that everyone everywhere at all times is doing something that gives "probable cause."
Are we even talking about the same thing?  A consensual search doesn't even require probable cause.  A refusal doesn't automatically lead to a dose of hickory shampoo.
Do you honestly not see how "You're constantly in violation of the law, which justifies us searching you whenever the hell we feel like it" is directly contradictory to "We're safeguarded from unreasonable searches because they have to show good cause"?
The traffic infraction is decidedly not justification for the search.  The driver's consent is.  You keep acting like the driver has no say in the matter and that absolutely isn't true.
Also, you seem to be in favor of selective enforcement here.
Absofrickinlutely!
I doubt any of us here could afford the cost of every ticket we would get if we were punished for every traffic infraction we committed in front of cops.  Cities could afford to hire hundreds or thousands of new cops each just to enforce infractions if they wanted.
Are you happy to have everyone be a de facto criminal and the cops only punish the people they feel deserve it?
Nope, but in the case of all the laws we have, I definitely want police enforcing fewer.  I want police focusing on the criminal element (often called "frequent flyers") rather than the APSers of the world,.  I want fewer middle-aged soccer moms pulled over and more 16-25 year old males pulled over.  I want police to give the guy trying to protect his family with a gun he shouldn't have a pass and enforce that law on the gangbanger.  If well done, selective enforcement is a huge boon to freedom.  If badly done, it is like any other abuse of authority.
You're pretty aggressively missing the point, a common flaw in cop fetishists.
What is a cop fetishist and what do you think makes me one?
You're claiming that a man with a gun "asking" you to do X (in a situation where refusal to comply with his requests to do Y and Z will lead to him using force against youcitation needed) is not coercive, and that a search granted under those circumstances is consensual. The point of the example is how ridiculous your claim is.
Refusing a search does not automatically lead to police using force against you.  You keep saying that like repeating it will make it true.  If it does turn out that way, it is almost certainly an abuse of authority outside the scope of law.  And you say I'm the one making ridiculous claims.
If you need a legal education to avoid having a cop violate your rights I’d say that’s a problem with the system.
I'm all for reducing laws and making them easily understandable.  Hell, I'm for a lot of major changes in law.  I'm not convinced that making it harder for a cop to ask for permission to search someone's car would lead to any increase in freedom.
It is your own responsibility to make sure your rights aren’t violated as much as possible. It’s also your responsibility to make sure the grocery store isn’t over charging you for sales tax. If you found out that Local Business was systematically overcharging as a matter of course, would your response be “Good for them, and if folks are too stupid to double check the local tax code for the area to make sure that the sales tax charged is accurate it’s their own damn fault.”?
Of course not.  But I also don't protest my local grocer because they ask me for a consensual donation to a children's hospital when I check out.
To not have the agents of the state use coercion and the implicit threat of force to violate the 4th Amendment? To stop the progress towards a society where everyone is a criminal and cops just enforce the laws against folks they feel have it coming? To make the default training not “Lie, threaten, and coerce the people you’re supposed to be serving into giving up their rights as a matter of course”?
I think you have a lot of the same ignorance I used to have.  Here's a suggestion: call up your local cop shop.  Tell them you're curious about the police and ask them if they offer civilian ride-alongs.  If they don't, check with your county sheriff or other nearby towns.  Many will let you.  Buy them a meal on their break time and talk with them.

There are a hell of a lot fewer stormtroopers than you think there are.

Jamis, I don't think you understand the concept of probable cause and its applicability to consensual searches either.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2013, 02:05:01 PM »
1. I'm a motorcyclist.  Automatically a bad guy.
2. I've got a "Join or Die" segmented snake lapel pin, RWVA oval logo lapel pin, and "Rifleman" lapel pin on my jacket.  Automatic TEA Party turr'ist armed to the teeth, grounds for Terry Stop frisking for Ossifer Safety.
3. Tent on bike.  Drifter.  Unwanted.  Run him off.
4. Out of State plates.
5. "Unsecured load" laws are highly subjective and give grounds for questionable traffic stops with nothing else wrong.

Plenty of opportunity for extended abuse of this motorist.

and this abuse has materialized?  in real life
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »

We'll see.  Not yet.

So far I've been in southern/western States that have a more independent streak to them.  As I move closer to the seat of authoritah I figure we'll find out.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

• friends
Re: Re: Looks like NY has started enforcing their SAFE magazine ban.
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2013, 02:28:55 PM »
as a whole this is a very "straight" group. it amuses me to see so much zomg from in most cases no substance. remember seeing an edited "injustice" on youtube does NOT equate to experiencing it. even if it does get heart racing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
Wow. So you're totally in favor of the cops only enforcing the law against people they dislike, and think that's a great boon to freedom as long as you agree with the cops on who is getting selectively enforced? Wow...

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »
Wow. So you're totally in favor of the cops only enforcing the law against people they dislike, and think that's a great boon to freedom as long as you agree with the cops on who is getting selectively enforced? Wow...

Jim Crow 2.0.
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »
Ah CSD, nice to see you trolling cop threads as always.

If a drunk is waving a loaded gun around in public, pointing it random passerbys etc but doesn't actually fire the gun, would you still not get all the zomg about a threat that failed to materialize? Do you really not understand that we're objecting to the abuse being sanctioned even when that abuse is relatively uncommon, or at least focused on groups one does not belong to?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »
Wow. So you're totally in favor of the cops only enforcing the law against people they dislike, and think that's a great boon to freedom as long as you agree "with the cops on who is getting selectively enforced? Wow..."

ahhhh its the "they don't like me!" gambit

i once bought into that.
that was before i came to learn that i/you aren't that important to the cops. its not personal its a job.  just like a professional pooper scooper doesn't hate one turd more than the next.  with a few notable exceptions childmolester rapist hurt another cop i/you don't mean much to them.  you notice they don't make videos regaling the world about smf they arrested tonite?  drink in a cop bar and they don't talk about "wow do you like my new jack boots?"  is it possible to make it personal?  yea  i've seen it done and with 3 exceptions that process started with someone other than the cop

then again most of my experience predated youtube and were in "meatworld" as opposed to my fevered dreams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2013, 03:12:07 PM »
Yeah, pretty much.   :police:

• friends
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2013, 03:17:15 PM »
We'll see.  Not yet.

So far I've been in southern/western States that have a more independent streak to them.  As I move closer to the seat of authoritah I figure we'll find out.

haven't you ridden east yet?  i did that with hair i tucked in my belt during the 70's early 80's  i got rousted more out west. and then mostly when hitching

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2013, 03:35:29 PM »

4. Out of State plates.

Happened to my dad when we were in NC many years ago (I was in HS).  Cop pulled my parents over, while I was in the car and witnessing, and berated my dad for a few minutes, asking him "where you from, boy?", etc.  My dad, at the time, was 6'1" and over 200lbs, with two kids in the car, hardly a "boy".  Not only that, he was a native of that area (as was mom), so he was hardly in a strange area.  He wasn't speeding, or weaving, or anything of that sort, just taking some back roads, that we use frequently in that area, to get from one grandparents' house to another (both my parents lived around there).

I myself have been pulled over for a "failed inspection" when that was obviously not the case.  Cop still wanted to run my license.  I also got pulled because my rear tag wasn't visible.  It was in the rear window because my previous tags had been stolen days before and the thief took the screws.  Tag was in the window and we were driving to the auto parts store to get new screws. 

While in college, I had a mildly souped up Beetle.  While driving through a school zone, at the speed limit, a cop flagged me down and accused me of speeding (I wasn't, saw him before entering the school zone).  He didn't have a radar, but wrote me a warning anyway.  Since I was graduating and school was ending in less than a week, I didn't care, but he had no legal authority.  I suspect he heard my Bug (didn't sound like a regular Bug), saw that it was a bit aggressive in stance (lowered front, larger rear tires), and assumed I was driving fast.

So, we have a few instances of people being pulled over without legal cause.  Good enough?

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
haven't you ridden east yet?  i did that with hair i tucked in my belt during the 70's early 80's  i got rousted more out west. and then mostly when hitching

It's not "east" until I cross the Miss'ippi. ;)
--Lysander Spooner

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Looks like NY has started enforcing their SAFE magazine ban.
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2013, 03:47:39 PM »
4. Out of State plates.

Happened to my dad when we were in NC many years ago (I was in HS).  Cop pulled my parents over, while I was in the car and witnessing, and berated my dad for a few minutes, asking him "where you from, boy?", etc.  My dad, at the time, was 6'1" and over 200lbs, with two kids in the car, hardly a "boy".  Not only that, he was a native of that area (as was mom), so he was hardly in a strange area.  He wasn't speeding, or weaving, or anything of that sort, just taking some back roads, that we use frequently in that area, to get from one grandparents' house to another (both my parents lived around there).

I myself have been pulled over for a "failed inspection" when that was obviously not the case.  Cop still wanted to run my license.  I also got pulled because my rear tag wasn't visible.  It was in the rear window because my previous tags had been stolen days before and the thief took the screws.  Tag was in the window and we were driving to the auto parts store to get new screws. 

While in college, I had a mildly souped up Beetle.  While driving through a school zone, at the speed limit, a cop flagged me down and accused me of speeding (I wasn't, saw him before entering the school zone).  He didn't have a radar, but wrote me a warning anyway.  Since I was graduating and school was ending in less than a week, I didn't care, but he had no legal authority.  I suspect he heard my Bug (didn't sound like a regular Bug), saw that it was a bit aggressive in stance (lowered front, larger rear tires), and assumed I was driving fast.

So, we have a few instances of people being pulled over without legal cause.  Good enough?

Chris
strange car in my hood will get you looked at too. is that abuse?

how was your failed inspection "obviously not the case"?
and  how was it abuse?

in my state tag in rear windoa isn't kosher
how was that abuse?

how was your warning ticket abuse?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »
as a whole this is a very "straight" group. it amuses me to see so much zomg from in most cases no substance. remember seeing an edited "injustice" on youtube does NOT equate to experiencing it. even if it does get heart racing

So, because I'm less likely to run afoul of a LEO, I'm not entitled to care that someone else might? "Equal protection" shouldn't matter to me? I don't think the line between "straight" and not is as clear as it used to be.

mtnbkr's experience's aren't unique. I spent some spread-eagle time on the tailgate of my truck beside a busy roadway for the crime of having a CHL in the presence of a rookie cop. No citation issued, BTW.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

• friends
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »
more abuse
http://mobile.newschannel5.com/wap/news/text.jsp?sid=14&nid=3489005345

• friends
So, because I'm less likely to run afoul of a LEO, I'm not entitled to care that someone else might? "Equal protection" shouldn't matter to me? I don't think the line between "straight" and not is as clear as it used to be.

mtnbkr's experience's aren't unique. I spent some spread-eagle time on the tailgate of my truck beside a busy roadway for the crime of having a CHL in the presence of a rookie cop. No citation issued, BTW.

you are absolutely allowed to speculate/fantasize about someone else who might get trampled. in fact i would expect you to speak up if you saw it. to the cop or as a witness to a complaint at least. has that ever happened?
and i can safely presume you reported that rookie? followed up on complaint? what happened?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Re: Re: Looks like NY has started enforcing their SAFE magazine ban.
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2013, 05:05:17 PM »

and  how was it abuse?

how was that abuse?

Looked at and Harrassed/intimidated by getting bullshit tickets and having a guy with a gun "ask" to search your car are apples to oranges. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
Looked at and Harrassed/intimidated by getting bullshit tickets and having a guy with a gun "ask" to search your car are apples to oranges. 

so are you disagreeing with mtnbkr's supportive examples?
at least as they were offered?
i guess i don't understand the feeling scared. i do understand resenting authority. been there done that.

• friends
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2013, 05:39:30 PM »
and it would seem one is muxh more likely to encounter a potential curbstomping by jbt than using a gun. do we need to train for how to react? to beat the fear? is it the gun or the badge thats scary? and by badge i mean the authority

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »
A 2yo Pontiac Bonneville is not out of place in rural NC (we're talking farmland with houses miles apart) on a public highway (not cruising a 'hood).  It's abusive because it was unwarranted and disrespectful (what are you doing around here boy?).  Funny thing is that my dad was probably roaming those roads long before they were paved and given a state number designator. 

and  how was it abuse?
The truck had a fresh inspection sticker.  It was abusive because it was an unwarranted stop, a fishing expedition.  Me and my truck have been here for 10 years and we weren't breaking any laws, so said the cop.  He just thought we might have an expired inspection, at least that's his story.

how was that abuse?
Maybe not abuse per se, but I'm sure he had bigger fish to fry in downtown Manassas. :)

I wasn't speeding, nor did he have any reason to believe I was.  Even if I was, he would have no way of telling since I was coming at him straight on, and stopping at a stop light (about 50yds from him).  No radar, didn't pass him, and he couldn't use my speed relative to other cars to judge how fast I was going.  He was a redneck NC sheriff who saw a college kid in need of attention I guess.

In each of those cases (will concede the plate stop, but still assert it was weaksauce), the stops were not justified, and could have devolved.

Chris

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2013, 06:21:35 PM »
Csd: way to misrepresent my point. No one is saying it's a personal vendetta by the cops. But I don't see how that really matters. Emotionless "just doing my job" oppression isn't any better than "personal grudge" oppression. Which is why I want hood rats and gang bangers treated well by the law: because eventually us evil Tea Party types are going to be the enemy du jour the laws are used to harass. See the IRS selectively hassling right wing groups. But I didn't personally witness that in meatspace so it must not have really happened.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2013, 07:13:24 PM »
>But I'm not going to grant PERMISSION for him to do it.  He wants to do it sans warrant, I'm going to take his badge and paycheck away next month.<

Umm, I may be wrong (Chris, to the white courtesy phone), but I do believe that any criminal evidence they obtain from an illegal search of your vehicle (which a search initiated without a warrant or permission would be) is inadmissable in court. "Fruit of the Poisoned Tree", I believe they call it

And CSD, I've had a few different run-ins with cops with a belief in their own greater importance. As have many folks I know
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)