Author Topic: Looks like NY has started enforcing their SAFE magazine ban.  (Read 12066 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Looks like NY has started enforcing their SAFE magazine ban.
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2013, 07:26:08 PM »
how many times did they arrest you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Looks like NY has started enforcing their SAFE magazine ban.
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2013, 09:41:23 PM »
http://www.libertynews.com/2013/05/police-officer-blows-his-lid/

Nice little video of a cops reaction to a mere citizen asserting his right against unreasonable search.  

Short version?  Cop asks guy to search his car after traffic stop.  Guy says "Not without a warrant."  Cop has conniption fit.   Lots of NSFW language follows.
By the way, this was apparently a prank video:
http://watchdog.org/11267/questionable-w-va-police-behavior-surfaces-in-videos/
http://westvirginia.watchdog.org/3386/watchblog-police-need-watching-too/

• friends
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2013, 10:55:47 PM »
it was on the internet. it must be true

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »
it was on the internet. it must be true

Uhhh.... Bonjour!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
how many times did they arrest you?

So here we go with the "since it's not an abuse, it could never be an abuse" bit.  Predictable.

Better to fight this sort of bull now, then when you're the one having to fight charges, or dealing with a cop who's just decided he's searching you anyways.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »
So here we go with the "since it's not an abuse, it could never be an abuse" bit.  Predictable.

Better to fight this sort of bull now, then when you're the one having to fight charges, or dealing with a cop who's just decided he's searching you anyways.
I think the disconnect here, and with all of his pro-LEO rants, is that C&SD, being an admitted criminal, is accustomed to be hassled by the cops.  In fact, any time an interaction doesn't result in a beatdown, jail time, or a charge is a good interaction.  He'll just bow his head halfway and take his verbal beating in the hopes that it doesn't become a wood shampoo or worse.

The rest of us, who generally follow the law and don't seek attention from the authorities, view most interactions as mildly annoying at best to potentially dangerous at worst due to the published accounts of others in our social and legal situations.

Chris

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2013, 01:40:20 PM »
>But I'm not going to grant PERMISSION for him to do it.  He wants to do it sans warrant, I'm going to take his badge and paycheck away next month.<

Umm, I may be wrong (Chris, to the white courtesy phone), but I do believe that any criminal evidence they obtain from an illegal search of your vehicle (which a search initiated without a warrant or permission would be) is inadmissable in court. "Fruit of the Poisoned Tree", I believe they call it

And CSD, I've had a few different run-ins with cops with a belief in their own greater importance. As have many folks I know

A cop can always manufacture probable cause for a warrantless search after-the-fact if he finds something during the illegal search he wants to use as evidence.  "I smelled alcohol", etc.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:13:51 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

• friends
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2013, 02:51:23 PM »
I think the disconnect here, and with all of his pro-LEO rants, is that C&SD, being an admitted criminal, is accustomed to be hassled by the cops.  In fact, any time an interaction doesn't result in a beatdown, jail time, or a charge is a good interaction.  He'll just bow his head halfway and take his verbal beating in the hopes that it doesn't become a wood shampoo or worse.

The rest of us, who generally follow the law and don't seek attention from the authorities, view most interactions as mildly annoying at best to potentially dangerous at worst due to the published accounts of others in our social and legal situations.

Chris

i think you got it wrong
i think because cops don't scare me i know how to respond to good ones and bad.
if you watch folks in a police encounter they tend to choke. its one of those things you see in your kids when they get confronted with authority. 

when someone encounters a cop that they perceive as out of line, key word perceive, they are stuck. don't have an idea on how to handle it so they just suck it up.endure it and it gnaws at em inside. it burns and colors their future. they want to do something but that fear stops em

now other folks know how to buck up in the face of real misconduct.  its not to try to argue law on the side of the road. its one of those points made on another thread that sometimes its "bad guys" who foment change.  miranda and terry come to mind. they aren't too afraid to do something

too often folks cry but don't file a complaint. one could say they get the kind of gov/policing they vote for
was your dad upset with how that cop questioned him?

in a lot of your other "tales of abuse" you were upset he wasn't policing the way you think he should.
in the point you concede you were admittedly illegal
cop that gave you a warning?http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/03/police-can-give-speeding-tickets-if-they-think-a-car-is-speeding/
checking inspection stickers is well established in va  heck they used to set up road blocks

checking out an out of state car in the country could be stretching it, don't know . was there a recent history of breakins? was he looking for something? folk often believe that the cop "has to tell me".  they are mistaken

i was amused that you chose to use the term "weak sauce"

what was the result of the complaints you lodged?

i've had trouble with city cops your way  had to call state police to settle em down. and had a talk with the chief. its a lot like dealing with insurance companies.  they act nice if you make em. in that case the words its all recorded and washington post seemed inspirational

• friends
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2013, 02:54:32 PM »

A cop can always manufacture probably cause for a warrantless search after-the-fact if he finds something during the illegal search he wants to use as evidence.  "I smelled alcohol", etc.

they could

but you are the only one who thinks you are important enough to risk job/pension.  usually     most often the person who tries to make it personal is not the cop. they would lose their mind if they lived like that. too many folks to deal with.

• friends
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2013, 04:36:34 PM »
now this could have promise
Assemblyman Steve Katz presented A5955 to repeal the unSAFE Act.
BILL NUMBER: A5955
SPONSOR: Katz
TITLE OF BILL: An act to repeal chapter 1 of the lawss of 2013, anending the criminal procedure law and other lwas relating to suspension and revocation of firearms licenses.
PURPOSE OF THE BILL: This legislation would repeal the NYS SAFE Act.
JUSTIFICATION:
The S.A.f.e. Act is not the answer to the problems we have with firearms in society because it fails to address any of the underlying issues.

The right to bear arms is guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, as well as the Civil Rights Law of the State of New York, and the New York State Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act of 2013 which was rushed to passage by the New York Senate,Assembly and Governor ,will have a detrimental effect on hunters, sportsmen and legal gun
owners, while failing to adequately address illegal guns and mental illness.This
legislation creates an environment in the state which is hostile to gun manufacture and ownership.
Repealing this act will grant New york State the time to target the real issues at hand and promise a safer and peaceful environment for all residents, without infringing on Constitutional rights.
PRIOR LEGISLATIVE HISTORY: New Bill
FISCAL IMPLICATIONS: None
EFFECTIVE DATE:This Act shall take effect immediately.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2013, 06:28:15 PM »
they could

but you are the only one who thinks you are important enough to risk job/pension.  usually     most often the person who tries to make it personal is not the cop. they would lose their mind if they lived like that. too many folks to deal with.

I lol'ed so hard. Yeah, if there's one thing we see it's cops who are too terrified of the consequences to lie.  ;/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2013, 06:30:47 PM »
I lol'ed so hard. Yeah, if there's one thing we see it's cops who are too terrified of the consequences to lie.  ;/

ymmv  i don't have the same level of experience as you  in meatspace or you tube

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
ymmv  i don't have the same level of experience as you  in meatspace or you tube

It must be so nice to be able to condescendingly dismiss all arguments with "My experience is the ultimate arbiter of reality."

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2013, 06:45:30 PM »
It must be so nice to be able to condescendingly dismiss all arguments with "My experience is the ultimate arbiter of reality."

key word reality

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2013, 07:12:37 PM »
What does that even mean? We should reject everything as false that we haven't experienced ourselves (except your opinion of course)? Man, you've always been a troll on these threads but you're now descenidng into longeyes style obscurism.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2013, 08:57:13 PM »
Alright everybody...please remember to debate the point not the person.  If this cannot be done, then this thread will be locked.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2013, 09:35:51 PM »
If a cop is willing to lie, there is precious little you can do to prevent them from screwing up your life, no matter what the policy on searches.

For what it is worth, the police I know wouldn't lie to put a guilty-as-sin person in jail, much less an innocent person.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2013, 10:37:16 PM »

The plural of anecdote does not equal data.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner