Author Topic: The real problem with millenials  (Read 19605 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: The real problem with millenials
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2014, 05:41:05 PM »
Glad you mentioned Tricare. I have found Tricare For Life (which costs me $200 per month) to be excellent insurance (along with Medicare part "B" at $200 per month) to be excellent insurance. The .mil is taking excellent care of my wonderful wife and I. I have no copays whatsoever.

Tricare is awesome until they cancel you without notice like they did me. I'm tryin to get back on. Currently have no health insurance
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

zahc

• friend
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2014, 07:27:22 PM »
I had a job where part of the work was shoveling horse poop.

I'd just a soon do that as programming except the latter pays better.

In college I delivered pizza. If I could make close to what I do now by delivering pizza I would rather do that.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2014, 08:19:02 PM »
In college I delivered pizza. If I could make close to what I do now by delivering pizza I would rather do that.

During my college and photo school years, I made $5.85 an hour repairing newspaper vending boxes. $5.85 is $28 in 2014 dollars. Right now I'd love to make $28 an hour. I know that wages haven't gone up 479%, but something did.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2014, 09:53:03 PM »
Tricare is awesome until they cancel you without notice like they did me. I'm tryin to get back on. Currently have no health insurance

How did you get dropped by Tricare? I didn't think you could be cancelled. I hope they don't cancel my wife, who is now required to sign up for Medicare part B and Tricare for life in order to maintain her insurance.

My coverage with Tricare has been excellent.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2014, 11:03:41 PM »
How did you get dropped by Tricare? I didn't think you could be cancelled. I hope they don't cancel my wife, who is now required to sign up for Medicare part B and Tricare for life in order to maintain her insurance.

My coverage with Tricare has been excellent.

Switched from guard back to reserve. Tricare saw a discharge order, apparently didn't see the order transferring me into the reserves, and said "LOL ineligable!"

I'm waiting for them to switch it back on now
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2014, 10:53:16 AM »

Yeah but that requires you to talk to people  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2014, 11:43:13 AM »
Yeah but that requires you to talk to people  =(

For someone who doesn't like talking to people, you sure do spend a lot of time here...talking to people.

I'll never understand misanthropy as an affectation as seen on Internet forums...

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »
For someone who doesn't like talking to people, you sure do spend a lot of time here...talking to people.

I'll never understand misanthropy as an affectation as seen on Internet forums...

Chris

For a reason similar to why many misanthropes like dogs & sometimes cats and othe ranimals: it is almost wholly on the misanthrope's own terms.  A dog is completely subservient and generally not contending with the human misanthrope.  Folk on an internet forum can safely be ignored whenever the misanthrope does not feel like responding to or contending with other humans.

The old saying went:
Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.

The misanthrope's corallary:
Those who can manage close relationships with numerous other humans, do.
Those who can't, get a dog and an internet hookup.

Obviously, those who "can" are not barred from teaching, pet ownership, or net access.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2014, 01:04:42 PM »
I get the not liking part, what I don't get is wearing it like a badge of honor to other people.

"I don't like people so here I am with other people to tell them I don't like people".

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2014, 02:13:52 PM »
I get the not liking part, what I don't get is wearing it like a badge of honor to other people.

"I don't like people so here I am with other people to tell them I don't like people".

Chris

So why is Mike Irwin here  ???    =D

Your days of taking me seriously need to come to a middle  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2014, 04:38:05 PM »

Chris

It's not so much that I don't like individual persons, I just don't like people as a general group. I'm pretty particular about any group I will associate with, on the innerwebz and more so in real life. Most personalities on APS I could probably hang out with and enjoy the experience. 
A crowded store or a full movie theater sets me on edge. Add in a bunch of worse than average idiots and I'm out of there.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2014, 04:48:14 PM »
It's not so much that I don't like individual persons, I just don't like people as a general group. I'm pretty particular about any group I will associate with, on the innerwebz and more so in real life. Most personalities on APS I could probably hang out with and enjoy the experience. 
A crowded store or a full movie theater sets me on edge. Add in a bunch of worse than average idiots and I'm out of there.

Same here. I do not like being in crowded places at all. The noise, constantly having to play frogger with people, jostled by crowds, it's just not for me. Hell, say I'm going out for some lunch, I'll wait till after the normal lunch hour (12pm-1:00pm) has passed so I don't have to be in a crowded restaurant.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2014, 05:03:51 PM »
I also hate the crowds and am not the kind of guy who will walk into a bar by myself and start talking people up, or necessarily will enjoy being talked up - especially if they start in on something I hate, like sports.  I call myself a misanthrope, but am more a combination of introverted, shy, and grumpy. I don't mind talking with people IRL for short periods and if it's something that I'm interested in, or even ambivalent about, will do so happily. The longer the interaction goes though, the grumpier I get. I'm really good at short encounters and people who encounter me that way always say what a friendly guy I am. The longer I have to endure people in one sitting though, the more prone people will be to say that I'm cranky and not friendly.

I just hate IRL encounters with people that won't shut up. It's too much like work. I like Internet conversations because at APS for example, I can jump into a conversation when I feel like it, whether a minute after the topic posts or a day later. I don't feel like I have to be "on" all the time.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2014, 05:59:22 PM »
The simple fact is that the Obama economy isn't producing jobs, much less decent entry level jobs.  Between taxes, Obamacare, and over-bearing regulations (like those driving up the prices of energy *coal*), and then screaming/threatening companies to make more jobs, the only ones out there are part-time McJobs.  You can't move out and support yourself (or start a family) on minimum wage working less then 30 hours a week.  

However, you can live with Mom & Dad, let them buy the groceries, and pay the utilities.  You've got enough to pay (some) of your student loans, maybe buy a beater car, and still have enough money to go out with friends a couple of times a month.  It's not great, but you're not looking to get married.  It would be nice if you found a better job, but when there are hundreds (if not thousands) of people applying for the same entry level job (and some of those are grossly overqualified, experienced people who used to make much more, but a willing to take a job paying a lot less, just to have a job), you really have to have a lucky horseshoe up you keister to get hired.

So yeah, the Cheeto stained couched in the basement and all your buds on-line waiting for you to sign in to whatever game you're currently playing doesn't look so bad afterall.  

Thanks Barak !!!

And now for something completely different that perfectly describes the denizens of APS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0f2aFhZ3Uk
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:24:37 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »
Oh there are jobs out there...but they require more education than a Lintpicking Degree and skills beyond working a cash register...

This is where the societal pressure to "Go to college and get a 4 year degree or you aren't successful" gets you...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2014, 08:16:54 PM »
So yeah, the Cheeto stained couched in the basement and all your buds on-line waiting for you to sign in to whatever game you're currently playing doesn't look so bad afterall. 

So where do such guys go to make out with girls? Using other peoples' apartments got old for me real fast when I was young.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2014, 08:18:15 PM »
So where do such guys go to make out with girls? Using other peoples' apartments got old for me real fast when I was young.

The damnedest thing is they always have a GF. Don't ask me why...but they always have some chick who picks them up and drives them around and pays for their meals and video games and other stupid *expletive deleted* it and so on. Can't even call the passenger seat the bitch seat anymore, because more often than not it's the girl driving the guy around. My dumbass sister dated several such losers...she would go to their parent's house, WAIT ON THEM UNTIL THEY WOKE UP a couple hours later, wait while they played the Xbox for a few hours, then drive them around town.

Now, that's not a commentary on "stay at home dad" type family relationships. That's a different story into itself. But for casual dating, I'm of the belief that one party should not be footing the bill all the time.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:24:16 PM by Boomhauer »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2014, 08:51:31 PM »
The damnedest thing is they always have a GF. Don't ask me why...but they always have some chick who picks them up and drives them around and pays for their meals and video games and other stupid *expletive deleted* it and so on. Can't even call the passenger seat the bitch seat anymore, because more often than not it's the girl driving the guy around. My dumbass sister dated several such losers...she would go to their parent's house, WAIT ON THEM UNTIL THEY WOKE UP a couple hours later, wait while they played the Xbox for a few hours, then drive them around town.

Now, that's not a commentary on "stay at home dad" type family relationships. That's a different story into itself. But for casual dating, I'm of the belief that one party should not be footing the bill all the time.

No, bitch seat still works.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2014, 06:43:04 PM »

That's not due to misanthropy, that's elitism. The hallmark of this forum is that most of the frequent posters, in our own way, think we're smarter, cleverer, wiser, etc.

Of course, in my case, it's true...

:P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »
^^^ I like to think that I am probably balder than most.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2014, 07:29:16 PM »
Oh there are jobs out there...but they require more education than a Lintpicking Degree and skills beyond working a cash register...

Being able to work a cash register would be a good start.

A couple of evenings ago I was at the supermarket. My bill came to $46.01. All I had was twenties and ones, so I handed the young [alleged] lady $61.01 -- I thought it would make it easier for her to make change. Sadly, I overestimated her ability to punch keys on a cash register. When I handed her the money she took it, and just stood there staring at it. Her head might as well have been clear glass, because you could see what she was thinking: "Wait -- $60 is more than his total, why did he hand me a one and a penny?"

The look on her face when she finally punched in the amount paid and saw an even $15 as change was priceless. "How did he do that?"

It's magic, dear, and only people over the age of fifty have access to the spell book.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »

Going baldly where no man has gone before  :lol:

brimic

• friends
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2014, 09:03:45 PM »
But are you a natural bald or a blade bald?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2014, 07:12:01 AM »
So why is Mike Irwin here  ???    =D

Your days of taking me seriously need to come to a middle  ;)

Leaving no doubt.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2014, 09:09:13 AM »
But are you a natural bald or a blade bald?
Please tell me you're not asking if the carpet matches the drapes.