Author Topic: Missouri football players to go on racial solidarity strike  (Read 12259 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Missouri football players to go on racial solidarity strike
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 01:08:19 PM »
Reminds me of this : http://www.amazon.com/SJWs-Always-Lie-Taking-Thought-ebook/dp/B014GMBUR4

The guy resigned over unsubstantiated allegations? How stupid is he?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 02:14:04 PM »

The last thing I would have done before I resigned would have been to yank the scholarships from all of the "striking" students and fire the football staff.

I would have additionally dropped trou and mooned the faculty.

The problem is that yanking the scholarships wouldn't even have done anything. It would be a good lesson in a sane world, where people would get a wakeup call on how little their "microagressions" mean to the world at large outside academia, but sadly, the world at large seems to be buying into the bull. I suspect if the scholarships were pulled, someone would have done the "go fund me" thing, and suckers would have covered their school costs and more.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 02:16:02 PM »
The story indicated that the coach backed the striking players. What's up with that?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 02:17:59 PM »
Well, charby, I certainly care, now that my whole state looks even more stupider over this nonsense. Mizzou has long been embarrassingly left-wing, but - wow...

What would your reaction be if the players went on strike because they felt their (and other student's) Christian beliefs were being attacked?

Response #2 (like I said, "caring" on the internet is really easy):

If football players went on strike, due to alleged anti-Christian persecution (or whatever it is you mean by their beliefs being attacked), reasonable people would be inclined to ask for the details, so they could form an opinion. I might find the footballers justified. I might not.

When anti-black racism is alleged, reasonable people no longer care to hear the details. We just dismiss it as more of the same out-of-control tribalism we've been hearing about for the past several years.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 02:19:19 PM »
I suspect if the scholarships were pulled, someone would have done the "go fund me" thing, and suckers would have covered their school costs and more.

Who funds the scholarships now? I suspect I'm one of the suckers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2015, 02:24:20 PM »
Well, charby, I certainly care, now that my whole state looks even more stupider over this nonsense. Mizzou has long been embarrassingly left-wing, but - wow...

Response #2 (like I said, "caring" on the internet is really easy):

If football players went on strike, due to alleged anti-Christian persecution (or whatever it is you mean by their beliefs being attacked), reasonable people would be inclined to ask for the details, so they could form an opinion. I might find the footballers justified. I might not.

When anti-black racism is alleged, reasonable people no longer care to hear the details. We just dismiss it as more of the same out-of-control tribalism we've been hearing about for the past several years.

Nevertheless, I still looked for details. They, unsurprisingly, support the conclusions everyone in this thread jumped to:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/09/university-missouri-president-resigns-amid-race-backlash/

The protests began after the student government president, who is black, said in September that people in a passing pickup truck shouted racial slurs at him. In early October, members of a black student organization said slurs were hurled at them by an apparently drunken white student. Recently, a swastika drawn in human feces was found in a dormitory bathroom.

More recently, two trucks flying Confederate flags drove past a site where 150 students had gathered to protest on Sunday, a move some saw as an attempt at intimidation. One of the participants, Abigail Hollis, a black undergraduate, said the campus is "unhealthy and unsafe for us."

https://reason.com/blog/2015/11/09/university-of-missouri-tim-wolfe

What were these racist incidents? Someone shouted a slur at the campus’s black student government president. Someone smeared feces in the shape of a swastika on the wall of a residence hall. (In a letter announcing his hunger strike, student Jonathan Butler also cited “graduate students being robbed of their health insurance, and Planned Parenthood services being stripped from campus” among the reasons for Wolfe to resign, although these concerns don’t really strike me as being tied to race.)

It was ALLEGED (I'm not even willing to give them the benefit of the doubt given the prevalence of these being documented as hoaxes) that some random people shouted racial slurs.

And the president didn't do enough about the random people shouting racial slurs once.

Wow, THAT certainly deserves the uproar.

(Though, as has been noted in other places, it's rather amusing to see "Higher Ed's chickens... come home to roost." [Read that with Jeremiah Wright's voice.])
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2015, 02:45:17 PM »
Should have expelled all the striking football players as a rape-prevention measure.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2015, 03:25:53 PM »
Should have expelled all the striking football players as a rape-prevention measure.

And that, boys and girls, is the thread winner/ultimate answer to this problem.

However, to have applied this answer would have required some intestines and actual danglely male repr oductive organs, which given this is academia, are both in extremely short supply.   

Ahhh, but now I have visions of the resulting #BLM/#SJW war dancing in my head, such happy thoughts.  [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2015, 07:28:53 PM »
Nevertheless, I still looked for details. They, unsurprisingly, support the conclusions everyone in this thread jumped to:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/09/university-missouri-president-resigns-amid-race-backlash/

https://reason.com/blog/2015/11/09/university-of-missouri-tim-wolfe

It was ALLEGED (I'm not even willing to give them the benefit of the doubt given the prevalence of these being documented as hoaxes) that some random people shouted racial slurs.

And the president didn't do enough about the random people shouting racial slurs once.

Wow, THAT certainly deserves the uproar.

Of course it was all over nothing.

I expect the State Department to now dispatch inspection teams. We must make sure the students have proper, micro-aggression free safe spaces, or fainting couches, or whatever. If not, Obama will have no choice but to invade.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2015, 07:42:50 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/university-missouri-protests-grow-athletes-jump-074405735.html
Hours later, the top administrator of the Columbia campus, Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin, announced that he would step down at the end of the year and shift to leading research efforts.
I was sad to notice this part today.  Bowen Loftin the President of Texas A&M for a few years.  He is the one that pulled the trigger to get us over to the SEC.  He was well liked.  I hope he does okay. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2015, 08:16:56 PM »
I have to wonder how many of the more senior University Administrators are looking at their retirement accounts, running some numbers and coming up with "*expletive deleted*ck this *expletive deleted*it!".

Mr. Wolfe, for example, is 57 years old, and according to wiki decently successful in business before entering the academic world. The dollars/aggravation ratio could be wrong for him.

I know that even were I qualified, no money could get me working with most college students today.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2015, 08:38:20 PM »
Especially since they probably can't say what they want to say.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2015, 08:57:14 PM »
I worked in academia for almost 20 years before switching recently over to a new job. Of those 20 years 15 of them were for two different public universities. The president caused his own fault because he didn't do anything, he could have just waved his hand and appointed a committee to investigate the incidents and that would be as far at it would go. Unless you have worked for a public university, you can't comprehend how things go down. Much of it is about the money.

I was listening to NPR driving to my work location this morning and they had a 10 minute or so new story about the whole situation at Mizzou. Talked about the slurs from the pickup truck, then the jackasses doing the same thing at some play and also about the pickup truck with confederate flags at the protest, then about how the president's car was surrounded. Then how the president didn't address the situation.

Also the game this weekend was against BYU to be played in Kansas City, this is where the football team had leverage. If the team refused to play then Mizzou Athletic department has to play BYU $1 million dollars. Athletic dollars (including scholarships) don't come from the general fund, but from the revenue raised by the athletic department through tickets, merchandise, trademarks and donors. I think the $1 million penalty was the straw that caused a very high up person to tell the president to resign. More than likely he will never work in a academic intuition again on the management team.

As for the Christian protesters, hmm see there was a county recorder refusing to do her job because she felt it was against her religious beliefs.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2015, 09:29:59 PM »
The president caused his own fault because he didn't do anything, he could have just waved his hand and appointed a committee to investigate the incidents and that would be as far at it would go.

Quite possibly, but just remember there were many more buildings set on fire in Ferguson, after the grand jury decision, than before. These things don't necessarily go away. The BLM types aren't interested in justice; only rage.

More importantly, every victory for the SJW/BLM incentivizes more protest, more rage, more crime, and more nonsense.

As for the Christian protesters, hmm see there was a county recorder refusing to do her job because she felt it was against her religious beliefs.

Fixed that for you. Yes, go ahead. Compare and contrast the two situations.  [popcorn]

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2015, 09:44:30 PM »
I would have additionally dropped trou and mooned the faculty.

The problem is that yanking the scholarships wouldn't even have done anything. It would be a good lesson in a sane world, where people would get a wakeup call on how little their "microagressions" mean to the world at large outside academia, but sadly, the world at large seems to be buying into the bull. I suspect if the scholarships were pulled, someone would have done the "go fund me" thing, and suckers would have covered their school costs and more.

No, the next president simply would have reinstated them, primarily out of fear.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2015, 09:53:53 PM »

No, the next president simply would have reinstated them, primarily out of fear.

Sadly, likely.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2015, 10:01:09 PM »
Fixed that for you. Yes, go ahead. Compare and contrast the two situations.  [popcorn]

Religion is a choice. So you didn't fix anything.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2015, 10:22:43 PM »
Also the game this weekend was against BYU to be played in Kansas City, this is where the football team had leverage. If the team refused to play then Mizzou Athletic department has to play BYU $1 million dollars. Athletic dollars (including scholarships) don't come from the general fund, but from the revenue raised by the athletic department through tickets, merchandise, trademarks and donors. I think the $1 million penalty was the straw that caused a very high up person to tell the president to resign. More than likely he will never work in a academic intuition again on the management team.

All the more reason he should have called their bluff; they can pay the $1MM fine out of the athletic scholarship fund.  

Make the board of regents fire him after it's too late and the damage is already done.  A metaphorical middle finger to all of 'em.

You don't negotiate with terrorists.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2015, 10:46:32 PM »
No, no; it's our white privilege that makes us not care.

I'm sick of hearing about [alleged] "white privilege." IMHO it's entirely the other way.

If white students had complained about unidentified blacks calling them "Whitey!" do you think the president of the university would have resigned?

Blacks march into white neighborhoods and create mass demonstrations, and the media make a big deal out of it. If whites marched into black neighborhoods and tried to demonstrate, they'd be beaten to death.

White cop shoots black thug, and the blacks burn the town. Black cop shoots white thug, whites maybe write letters to the police commission, while blacks go around high-fiving one another.

I'm just not seeing this "white privilege" I keep reading about.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2015, 11:39:59 PM »
Religion is a choice. So you didn't fix anything.

What the ??? It has nothing to do with whether or not she chooses to be a Christian. It's simply a fact that Christianity is opposed to homosexual relationships; especially so-called marriages. There can't be any debate about the fact that what she was asked to do contradicts the specific religion she's chosen. (Or was predestined to believe, for our Reformed/Calvinist friends.)

So, anyway. You want to tell me how she was demanding that someone be fired for no reason?  =)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2015, 07:20:18 AM »

What the ??? It has nothing to do with whether or not she chooses to be a Christian. It's simply a fact that Christianity is opposed to homosexual relationships; especially so-called marriages. There can't be any debate about the fact that what she was asked to do contradicts the specific religion she's chosen. (Or was predestined to believe, for our Reformed/Calvinist friends.)

So, anyway. You want to tell me how she was demanding that someone be fired for no reason?  =)

Protesting is protesting, doesn't matter what the demands are.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2015, 07:24:31 AM »
All the more reason he should have called their bluff; they can pay the $1MM fine out of the athletic scholarship fund.  

Make the board of regents fire him after it's too late and the damage is already done.  A metaphorical middle finger to all of 'em.

You don't negotiate with terrorists.

It's not that simple at a university, in private business you are beholden to the owners/shareholders, in a university you are beholden to board of regents, elected state officials, federal government, athletic department, students, alumni, private industry, NGOS, etc. Making the wrong decision could dry up a revenue stream for several years if not generations.

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2015, 07:30:28 AM »
It's not that simple at a university, in private business you are beholden to the owners/shareholders, in a university you are beholden to board of regents, elected state officials, federal government, athletic department, students, alumni, private industry, NGOS, etc. Making the wrong decision could dry up a revenue stream for several years if not generations.
All the more reason to do it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Missouri football players to go on racial solidarity strike
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2015, 07:31:12 AM »
Seems folks can always find a multitude of reasons to explain why they can't do the right thing
The right thing is usually pretty simple while the wrong thing tends to come with complicated justification

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2015, 07:37:55 AM »
All the more reason to do it.

The consequences would be staggering. Would you want to be a current student or alumni at the school?

Also there are laws in places on what a university can and can not do.

Uranus is a gas giant.