Author Topic: What is a well worth?  (Read 2540 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
What is a well worth?
« on: January 16, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »
The twenty acres this well sits on is mostly pasture.  The well itself has a 5 horse pump, bladder tank, 3,000 gallon reserve tank and an irrigation valve directly off the well.  With a simple turn of two valves we can use water in the house and irrigate directly off the well.  The well is 275 feet deep and will pump 100 gallons a minute.

What would this well be worth where you folks live?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: What is a well worth?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:04:41 PM »
The well is 275 feet deep and will pump 100 gallons a minute.

What would this well be worth where you folks live?

A lot. Punching a well ain't cheap. Ours is 364 feet deep, my uncle who lives nearby, his is about 420 feet deep, and my neighbor across the road drilled down to 600 feet without hitting anything, then tried one to 400 feet, that well failed, and now I don't know what depth he's at for his third punch.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »
Not enough info.

What's the substrate?
What diameter casing?
How long is the electrical service?
How many gpm for how long?
Let's see some lab results.

All I can see is 275 foot of drilling (assuming it only took one hole) and a truckful of pipe.

Sounds like you're trying the ole innernet bait and impress. 
I'm sure yours cost much much more than mine.   ;/
7-11 was a part time job.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:37:53 PM »
All I see is above ground pipes.

Is there also a pitless adapter and underground connection to the bladder tank and house supply  ???

Otherwise it's not much good in below freezing weather...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:02:58 PM »
It looks like the pump inside is just used for pressurized water. The main well pump down the hole must just be turned on and off by a switch. That big tank is only a storage tank not pressurized. 
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:05:53 PM »
Ah, but the value doesn't lie in the hardware or the depth...

It's in the water. We don't need it that much here - easy to find water. But there? I'm guessing that it would be a major selling point.

Blog under construction

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
Idk, but its worth it. The neighbors well died, and she had to ship in water while punching another, which took two trys and cost much mola.  :facepalm:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 10:44:55 PM »
All I see is above ground pipes.

Is there also a pitless adapter and underground connection to the bladder tank and house supply  ???

Otherwise it's not much good in below freezing weather...  =|

This is Arizona, not Montana.  We don't get the sustained cold you folks do.  The water line to the house is in a trench well below the frost line with the 100 amp service to the well house.  The pressure tank is like yours, only it is in a well house which is heated in the winter.  The house can run off the pressure tank, fed by the 3,000 gallon reserve tank at the same time the irrigation side of the set up is working.  Two for the price of one.

The bit used to punch the hole is sitting next to the well head.  I believe it measures 8" across.  Knowing the well driller as well as I do, he dropped in 6" steel pipe to go with it.  The man does not do things in half measures.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 10:52:50 PM »
Not enough info.

What's the substrate?
What diameter casing?
How long is the electrical service?
How many gpm for how long?
Let's see some lab results.

All I can see is 275 foot of drilling (assuming it only took one hole) and a truckful of pipe.

Sounds like you're trying the ole innernet bait and impress. 
I'm sure yours cost much much more than mine.   ;/

The beauty of it is it comes with the land.  It is punched into the Coconino Aquifer, one of the largest and purest sources of water in the southwest.  It is an eight inch hole with six inch steel casing.  The 100 amp service is in its own sub panel in the well house.  The man who drilled the well drilled my when I had land out that way before.  He knows his stuff and as far as I know has never missed yet.  You would have to be blind to miss water out here.

Why would I care about impressing folks I have never met?  I am curious what this sort of set up would cost where you folks live.  I know what it is worth to me.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:29:09 PM »
A lot. Punching a well ain't cheap. Ours is 364 feet deep, my uncle who lives nearby, his is about 420 feet deep, and my neighbor across the road drilled down to 600 feet without hitting anything, then tried one to 400 feet, that well failed, and now I don't know what depth he's at for his third punch.

:O

My parents had a well drilled last October for their new house.  It was only 90 feet.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 11:31:13 PM »
 My wild guess- $25,000-30,000.  

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 11:31:53 PM »
Nada. City water, such as it is..............
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 11:32:49 PM »
Oh wait- you asked what it is worth-not what it cost.  I would the say the worth is directly proportional to how thirsty you are- no joke.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 11:35:04 PM »
Looks like the pressure tank calls for pressure from the floor-mounted pump.  I imagine the well pump is switched by a float switch inside the reserve tank?  Cool setup.  It's what my dad came up with when their well dropped from 9 gpm to 0.5gpm, except dad added a no-load sensor between the float switch and the pump.  When the reserve tank gets low, the well pump slowly fills it again, regulated by the no-load sensor.

At 100gpm, your well obviously doesn't need the no-load :)
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 11:59:49 PM »
its a thing of beauty
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 11:26:11 AM »
I put a 500' well 3 years ago. great water and plenty of it, large pressure tank but no holding tank, new lines and electric, etc for $14,000. I can supply needs for the house, garden, and 2 greenhouses.
I plan on drinking as much of it as possible before I die.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 11:27:13 AM »
How much to move it to my house???   

=D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 11:31:32 AM »
So all the piping from the well to the pump is above ground  ???

Doesn't it ever get below 32 degrees up on the rim?

I seem to recall that you were snowed in a week or two ago  ;)

How much it is worth depends on the cost of drilling such a well and buying/installing the equipment, multiplied by the inverse of the chances of hitting good and plentiful water on the first try.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 11:45:53 AM »
:O

My parents had a well drilled last October for their new house.  It was only 90 feet.

Helped my old man put in a well at an aunt's house once.  A point, some pipe, and a sledge hammer.  Hit water at 8-9 feet.

I'm quite sure that wasn't legal, but it worked.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 11:50:53 AM »
So all the piping from the well to the pump is above ground  ???

Doesn't it ever get below 32 degrees up on the rim?

I seem to recall that you were snowed in a week or two ago  ;)

How much it is worth depends on the cost of drilling such a well and buying/installing the equipment, multiplied by the inverse of the chances of hitting good and plentiful water on the first try.

Snow?  Like that stuff in the second pic?

I think the worth of a well is the cost of the well, for what it's worth, the well is well worth the cost.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 12:09:11 PM »

I think the worth of a well is the cost of the well, for what it's worth, the well is well worth the cost.

Ouch.  I taste purple... ???
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 12:15:56 PM »
Helped my old man put in a well at an aunt's house once.  A point, some pipe, and a sledge hammer.  Hit water at 8-9 feet.

I'm quite sure that wasn't legal, but it worked.
Why not? Did you tap into a city water main?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 12:51:35 PM »
Water at the depth wasn't clean enough for human consumption according to the government.