Author Topic: What if they're right?  (Read 2471 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
What if they're right?
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2006, 08:13:29 AM »
What if they are right?

They are not. If you are starting to believe this, start reading dissertations by some of the Founders of this Republic. Patrick Henry comes immediately to mind. The 2nd amendment is there for a reason. Please don't forget that.

"He (Patrick Henry) expounded for twenty-three days in the Virginia statehouse on these and many other weak points in the document. As a result States began to refuse to ratify the Constitution.

"My great objection to this government is that it does not leave us the means of defending our rights, or waging war against tyrants. Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia, is put in the hands of Congress? Your guns are gone! What resistance could be made? Will you assemble and just tell them?

"Even if you could assemble, how will you enforce rightful punishment when due? Oh, sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only necessary to assemble the people. A standing army we shall have, also to execute the execrable commands of tyranny."

Henry continued: "Let Mr. Madison tell me when did liberty ever exist when the sword and the purse were given up from the people? Unless a miracle shall interpose, no nation ever did, nor ever can, retain its liberty after the loss of the sword and the purse! Congress, by power of taxation, by the raising of an army, and by their control over the militia, have the sword in one hand and the purse in the other. Shall we be safe without either? Congress has unlimited power over both: they are entirely given up by us!

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty! Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel! Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force, and whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined! When the government removes your armaments, you will have no power but government will have all power!" he warned.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
What if they're right?
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006, 10:47:02 AM »
Quote from: grislyatoms
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty! Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel! Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force, and whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined! When the government removes your armaments, you will have no power but government will have all power!" he warned.
The founders indeed had their act together. Patrick Henry sure got it right. Too bad most Americans have forgotten that thus rendering it inevitable that eventually PH's warning will come true.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
What if they're right?
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2006, 07:34:40 AM »
You misunderstood me-

I wasn't questioning our need/ right/ whatever to bear arms.

I was commenting on the peception that we are all knuckle heads/ knuckle draggers/ fruit loops, as perpetuated by some posts on THR.
One day at a time.

grislyatoms

• friends
What if they're right?
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2006, 08:42:42 AM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding, and for climbing on the soap box. In answer to your question:

As in anything, the extremists in a group make everyone in the group seem suspect.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot