Author Topic: What is gibberish spam?  (Read 1146 times)

m1911owner

• friend
What is gibberish spam?
« on: December 26, 2006, 09:34:25 AM »
I often receive SPAM emails that are gibbersih--random words strung together, with no links to click on, no sites to visit, nothing that would appear to make the email useful to the sender.

They do often have a block of text in them that looks like it's a image of some sort.  I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my browser, so the image must have been part of the original email, as Tbird blocks the loading of web images.  So I don't think that they are verifying my email address by means of a remote image load.

What is the point of these emails?  I get a lot of them.

Marnoot

• friend
Re: What is gibberish spam?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 09:45:01 AM »
When using a Bayesian spam filter (like Thunderbird uses), when you mark a particular email as spam it puts every word from the spam into its library of words and marks them slightly more likely to be associated with spam than other words. The more spam you get with certain words, the more likely it is that the spam will be detected as such due to the word frequency.

The point (I've heard) of the gibberish spam, is to clog up your spam filters with words that have no real statistical relation to regular spam, thus rendering your spam filter more and more ineffective and more likely to mark regular emails as spam. Then the real spam is more likely to get through your filter as it's either ineffective or you've turned it off entirely. Thus, it may be wise to not mark gibberish-spam as Junk Mail, as it won't do you any good and may potentially render your filter less effective over time. When they send out the gibberish-spam, they're thinking long-term benefits.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: What is gibberish spam?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 09:51:23 AM »
Could be a host of things.  They may be verifying that the email is active via a read-receipt that some email applications support.  Could also be an attempt to install spy or malware delivered via the "image" file that is attached, with the aim of stealing information about you or using your machine to relay more spam w/o you knowing it.

As a rule I don't open email from sources unknown to me unless it looks work related. Spammers are persistent though.  At work, I see email targeting addresses that have been dead for years, all SPAM.  
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.