Author Topic: Unpaid Taxes; Armored Vehicle Menaces Home; Man Opens Fire; Standoff Ensues:  (Read 19255 times)

Wynterbourne

Those illegals don't own taxable property.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
yea  i suspect if they are so whacked the stalk around their yard with a rifle. operate under a delusion that they can get away with not paying and holding the cops at bay you can expect at least this strong a response. i think the cops are making allowances for this man being non compis mentis in that hes not dead after shooting at them.   anybody think hes working a good plan?  heading up to offer support? i mean other than on the net rolleyes
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
your rant might mean something if you can figure how not to use any public utilities or services. no roads or anything else. otherwise it sounds like the thoughts of a freeloading cheeto eater

Paying taxes for property you own would make sense if you didn't already pay taxes on everything that you buy, in addition to every dollar that you earn.  Otherwise, you're just renting your car and your land and your home from your friendly, helpful government.  And tossing personal insults at anyone who happens to have a different viewpoint, apparently.

Shooting at cops is ALWAYS the stupid choice.  But so is mobilizing the tanks and SWAT everytime some wacky malcontent fails to step in line and snap to attention with all haste.  But hey, maybe next time we'll get lucky and they'll just shoot up his family, or burn his house down and save the taxpayers the expense of a boring trial.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
So, when are you kicking off the revolucion of the oppressed tax payer?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MrRezister

• friend
Narcs aren't invited.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I didn't ask to be invited to a fool's errand.

I simply asked when you were going to throw off the shackles of repression and prove that you're society's savior...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MrRezister

• friend
I can't remember making any such claim, but as they say "Strawman no hit back!" 
Don't worry, I get it.  Daring to suggest that Americans might be overtaxed makes me a basement-dwelling, cheeto-munching, conspiracy-spouting foil-hatter.  shocked
It's ok, I'm cool with lame stereotypes, they are great for shutting down actual debate.
And anyway, I actually do like cheetos.  rolleyes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I never said you made such a claim.

Just seems to me that you identify with this guy so closely, and given you stated opinions on the subject, that you'd be champing at the bit to "liberate" us all.

MrRezister

• friend
If I didn't "claim" it, I can't figure out why you'd expect me to "prove" it....?  Must be my paranoia kicking in again, it happens when I stay in mom's basement for too long hyped up on Dew and no meds.

The only things I've said are:
1) I disagree with the government collecting a tax on private property.
2) I believe the government over-reacted by mobilizing heavy equipment and SWAT teams to protect the public from a dangerous non-payer.
3) It's stupid to shoot at police officers.

If you interpret that to mean that I "identify ... so closely" with the lawbreaker in question, then maybe I'm not the only paranoiac in the thread after all.

HankB

• friend
This just proves once again that even after you've paid for YOUR land, you still only rent it from the .gov.  Hope the guy lives long enough to make something proactive out of this, maybe a president setting case.

That problem is created by an unwillingness to fund largely unnecessary .gov operations at the local/county/state level with more visible sales or income taxes.
Fixed it for ya.

I, too, believe that being forced to pay taxes on something you supposedly own is odious. As for entering into an armed standoff over this . . . I believe it was Ayn Rand herself that wrote words to the effect that you don't stop a juggernaut by laying down in front of it, you only get crushed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
You realize that property taxes are just one way to fund government services and the only thing keeping them in place are you and your fellow voters?

This isn't some unConstitutional scheme put in place by some mysterious cabal, it's the people of your locale agreeing to pay for services that way.

Don't like it?  Run a campaign to get them removed, either by electing like minded pols, running yourself, using a citizen's initiative if your local laws allow, that sort of thing.

At any rate, property taxes can be dealt with and removed through the system with enough effort, so not paying them is both foolish and lazy.

As for what are necessary and unecessary services, property taxes are local in most places i know, not a lot of city-run welfare up here anyway.  In any event, that too can be dealt with by exerting effort in the political realm.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
So, when are you kicking off the revolucion of the oppressed tax payer?

How does the first Tuesday in November sound?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Sounds great!

I'll bring a lawn chair and a sandwich and watch the futility.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
The county took ownership of the land in November because of the unpaid taxes, Southwick said.

The guy's main mistake was believing he actually owned the land.

Not paying your landlord owed rent is a sure fired way to get evicted.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Sounds great!

I'll bring a lawn chair and a sandwich and watch the futility.

Great....I like mine with mustard and no tomato......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MrRezister

• friend

The guy's main mistake was believing he actually owned the land.
Not paying your landlord owed rent is a sure fired way to get evicted.

Shh.
You're not allowed to identify with the bad guy.  That makes you a potential bad guy.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
The only things I've said are:
1) I disagree with the government collecting a tax on private property.
2) I believe the government over-reacted by mobilizing heavy equipment and SWAT teams to protect the public from a dangerous non-payer.
3) It's stupid to shoot at police officers.

If you interpret that to mean that I "identify ... so closely" with the lawbreaker in question, then maybe I'm not the only paranoiac in the thread after all.
I don't like paying property taxes either. But somehow local government has to be paid for and if there was no penalty for not paying your taxes, few would pay up. if you don't like property taxes, lobby the state legislature to come up with something else.

I also think the cops probably over reacted and may well have caused a bad situation to get worse. A guy who is not altogther there that sees a tank in his front yard might not react real well.

Its not just stupid to shoot at cops - its almost always criminal.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Yet another canary has keeled over.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

hitbackfirst

• HitBackFirst
A guy who is not altogether there that sees a tank in his front yard might not react real well.

I consider myself "altogether there," but I dare say I would not react very well to a tank in my front yard, either!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
If he knew that property taxes were part of the deal when he bought the property and didn't bother to change the tax structure of where he chose to live, then he shouldn't be surprised when copnsequences for non-payment occur.  This was hardly a surprise event.

His first warning was being told property taxes would be due upon purchase,

his next was the bill in the mail,

his next was the notice the payment was late,

his next was the 2nd notice they were late,

his next was the letter informing him that the property could be foreclosed upon if he didn't pay,

his next was the actual foreclosure notification

etc, etc...

At what point exactly does it stop being his fault for not following rules he contractually agreed to when he took possession in the first place?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
"At what point exactly does it stop being his fault for not following rules he contractually agreed to when he took possession in the first place?"

Oh, that's the thing, Carebare...

He's a HERO of the REVOLUTION!

Or maybe a martyr, if he does something really stupid, like suicide by cop. Sounds like he's most of the way towards accomplishing that.

But in any event, it's NEVER his fault! Never has been, never will be!

I love the "you don't own the land because you have to pay taxes on it" line of bullshi... er.... I mean "reasoning."

stevelyn

• friend
I hear a lot of people spout off private property rights trumps all on this and other forums. Property taxes are an affront to private property and basically makes the arguement null and void.

So after paying all those thousands of $$$$ for a land and house, it really isn't your's or private if you fail to pay the local govt protection to keep it.

That's one of the main reasons my retirement home is going to be well outside borough and city boundries when I buy and build.

In most areas property owners shoulder an unfair amount of the tax burden.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

JohnBT

"In most areas property owners shoulder an unfair amount of the tax burden."

You don't think landlords include the real estate tax when they're setting their rents? This includes residential and commercial rents.

John

Manedwolf

• friend
I hear a lot of people spout off private property rights trumps all on this and other forums. Property taxes are an affront to private property and basically makes the arguement null and void.

So you plan to build your own road to get to and from your property, and don't want any assistance in putting out a fire?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
"In most areas property owners shoulder an unfair amount of the tax burden."

You don't think landlords include the real estate tax when they're setting their rents? This includes residential and commercial rents.

John

Very true.

I consider property taxes a reasonable fee in exchange for provisioning such things as access roads to the property, a certain amount of police presence, possibly even fire.  Then there's supporting public facilities in the local area like parks.  Now, it might seem odd, but I think that it's a somewhat poor method to go around funding schools with it.

Just like you could consider your vehicle registration part of providing a certain amount of police work for your vehicle, keeping track of it's ownership, emergency services, etc...  When it comes to most of it though, gas taxes are a better idea; but with alternative fueled vehicles a gas tax might become tricky.