Author Topic: I hate the word...  (Read 20470 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Re: I hate the word...
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2008, 09:48:11 AM »
The ones I hate are,

I want to say...

I wanted to say ...

T would like to say.... (and then goes on and says it.)

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2008, 06:17:01 PM »
Meme.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2008, 06:20:06 PM »
Misuse of "begs the question." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Kaylee

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2008, 07:26:09 PM »
"deserve"

Sure I had my fill of "paradigm" in college, but on reflection, if any one word has been more responsible for human misery in the last generation than "Deserve" I don't know what it could be.

From credit card ads pitching an unaffordable lifestyle to grievance politics... there ain't nothing that can't be made worse by generating a nice angry sense of entitlement. So yeah, anytime I hear someone saying "I/you/we/ deserve it..." I get a little itchy. Smiley

don

• friend
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2008, 07:41:11 PM »
two words: like and irregardless. like irregardless of the fact that ------is a blockhead, he will be elected President. Ugh!

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2008, 10:53:23 AM »
"Methodology", when they mean "method".

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2008, 08:40:46 PM »
Prego, when used to refer to a pregnant woman.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2008, 10:07:06 PM »
Somehow everything's become a "need". There are no longer any imperatives in life. It's not that we "must" do something, nothing is "required" of us, instead everyone tells us we "need" to do things.

When filing a complaint with the police about my neighbor's dog's incessant barking the clerk handed me a form and instead of saying, "Fill this out, please." said, "You need to fill this out." I couldn't stop myself from saying, "It may be a requirement that I do so, but I assure that in the doing I will not be fulfilled in any way, so therefore I don't need to do it.", and of course got a blank look from her in return.

Instant verbs. Someone is said to "reference" something rather than "refer to" it; actors and actresses no longer "perform a cameo" or have a cameo role, they are now said to have "cameod"; when two people who are normally single acts perform a song together they are now said to have "dueted" rather than sung a duet (thankfully I haven't read or heard of anyone "trioing").

And for the last farging time, "disrespect" is not a verb!

Referring (nudge, nudge) to second example above: Misusing or refusing to use words in an attempt to be "non-sexist" or "non-gender-specific", as in calling women who perform on stage or screen as "actors", or even worse, "female actors". Gender-specific words denote difference, not superiority or inferiority.

The needless personalization of things.

The sales clerk who hands you your credit card slip and says, "Will you sign this for me?", or points to the card reader and says "Put in your PIN number for me." I'm not doing it for you, I'm doing it because it's part of the transaction.

At a local high school track and field meet I heard the P.A. announcer repeatedly say, "I need all participants in (event) to report to the scorer's tent." You do? If they don't will you be unfulfilled? Say rather, "All contestants in (event) please report to the scorer's tent." (As an aside, note that the announcer said "participants" while I used the proper "contestants". If they were just "participants" then no one would bother keeping track of who won.)

I could go on but it's late.

P.S. PIN number, VIN number, ATM machine. rolleyes

Help stamp out and abolish redundancy! smiley
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2008, 05:01:38 AM »
And for the last farging time, "disrespect" is not a verb!

Uncle Bubba, if I may remark that you respect the English language, may I not also remark that others disrespect the English language? 

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2008, 07:24:39 AM »
Y'got me, fist. Say rather "...not a whichever-way-you-want-to-use-it verb!"

In trying to figure out how to define what I mean I found this at http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/disrespect.html:

'The hip-hop subculture has revived the use of disrespect as a verb. In the meaning to have or show disrespect, this usage has been long established, if unusual. However, the new street meaning of the term, ordinarily abbreviated to dis, is slightly but significantly different: to act disrespectfully, ormore frequentlyinsultingly toward someone. In some neighborhoods dissing is defined as merely failing to show sufficient terror in the face of intimidation. In those neighborhoods, it is wise to know how the term is used; but an applicant for a job who complains about having been disrespected elsewhere is likely to incur further disrespect . . . and no job. Street slang has its uses, but this is one instance that has not become generally accepted.'

It can be used as a verb, what I detest is its misuse as a verb.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2008, 07:26:48 AM »
A-ight, bro.  I ain't mean no disrespect. 

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2008, 07:32:10 AM »
Gramatically horrid, but proper usage.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2008, 10:19:44 AM »
Here's another I found while browsing IMDb. From the Alternate versions page of Highlander:

(Speaking of a scene removed from the original release) "Ultimately, he surrenders(,) wearying of Immortal life and willing to suicide himself."

You don't "suicide". You commit suicide.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2008, 10:29:25 AM »
I've gotta say it:
*let's not go there*.  Possibly the worst word in the english language, due to its usage.  I'm not a PC person generally, but this is the most ignorant and offensive word I can think of, no matter who spews it forth.
And, being white, I usually hear it in this sentance
"I'm not racist, but there are Niggers and there are black people".
Okay, yes, that sentance makes you racist.  There is trash in every race, creed, color and religion. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »
I usually hear it in this sentence
"I'm not racist, but there are Ni**ers and there are black people". 

Yeah, I get both of those from time to time.   rolleyes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2008, 04:47:15 PM »
We seem to have forgotten the word "hatred."  I don't know if it is really acceptable to use "hate" as a noun, but it sounds wrong to me.  Usually, it's when some leftist twit accuses someone of "preaching hate."  Of course, left-wing twittery is always annoying, but shouldn't they say "preaching hatred"?  So, it's a double-whammy for me. 

Then there's "fewer" and "less."  "Fewer" should be used for discrete quantities, and "less" for indiscrete.  "Fewer criminals, less crime."   

And recently, I've really begun to hate the use of prepositions at the end of sentences.  The end is not where the preposition should be at. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2008, 05:27:18 PM »
fistful, why do you hate so?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Umber

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2008, 05:47:39 PM »
Fid.  Swink.  Fain. 

Umber

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2008, 05:50:22 PM »
I don't get that last one, but seeker two, how dare you question my right to choose hatred?   angry

grampster

• friend
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2008, 05:52:28 PM »
Enhance.  Diversity. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2008, 06:00:12 PM »
fistful: I know....I should be more tolerant and accept diversity of hatred...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »
Because when you demean my alternative life-style like that, I don't feel empowered to hate.  And that makes me sad.   sad

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2008, 07:13:37 PM »
Alleged.

It's what law students and more than a few lawyers say when they don't want to come up with some non-irritating way of questioning the veracity of just about anything.  One woman in my group tried using it four times in one paragraph today. 

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2008, 07:36:49 PM »
We seem to have forgotten the word "hatred."  I don't know if it is really acceptable to use "hate" as a noun, but it sounds wrong to me.  Usually, it's when some leftist twit accuses someone of "preaching hate."  Of course, left-wing twittery is always annoying, but shouldn't they say "preaching hatred"?  So, it's a double-whammy for me. 

Then there's "fewer" and "less."  "Fewer" should be used for discrete quantities, and "less" for indiscrete.  "Fewer criminals, less crime."  

And recently, I've really begun to hate the use of prepositions at the end of sentences.  The end is not where the preposition should be at.

Ever heard the one about the country boy who got a scholarship to Harvard? His first day on campus he asked a passing upperclassman "'Scuse me. Can you tell me where the library's at?" The upperclassman looked down his nose and said, "At Hahvahd, we do not end a sentence with a preposition!"

To which the country boy replied, "OK. Can you tell me where the library's at, a$$hole?"  grin

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2008, 07:43:34 PM »

The "where are you at" thing bugs me a whole lot, but in plenty of situations hanging a preposition on the end is the clearest way to say what one needs to say.  Clarity wins out over fussiness by me any day. 

And, um, like, y'know.
Hate it all the more so because it is so farking contagious.  I catch 'em sneaking in from time to time.