Author Topic: I hate the word...  (Read 20467 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: I hate the word...
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2008, 07:49:30 PM »
Hey, Unca Bubba, where did you hear that joke from?  Wink
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

xd9fan

« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2008, 07:09:28 PM »
hate the word "progressive"....because most are not when they think they are

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2008, 03:18:10 AM »
I've gotta say it:
*let's not go there*.  Possibly the worst word in the english language, due to its usage.  I'm not a PC person generally, but this is the most ignorant and offensive word I can think of, no matter who spews it forth.
And, being white, I usually hear it in this sentance
"I'm not racist, but there are Niggers and there are black people".
Okay, yes, that sentance makes you racist.  There is trash in every race, creed, color and religion. 

I used to think that was bad, but now I think the worst word I could ever be called would be "victim".

Also, I really and truly detest when someone pronounces the "w" in "sword".  cheesy
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Intune

• The Shakes
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2008, 03:56:50 AM »
I used to eat salmon in Illinois that I killed with a nuclear sword...  cheesy

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2008, 04:22:11 AM »
And, um, like, y'know.
Hate it all the more so because it is so farking contagious.  I catch 'em sneaking in from time to time.

Y'know can get really irritating. I have a co-worker addicted to y'know. At EVERY little pause in his speaking (which is about every third word rolleyes), he throws in a y'know.

Sometimes I feel like screaming "Yes, I know, now get to the damned point!" undecided
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2008, 12:30:54 PM »
I hate the word "fair", as in, "It's not fair!"  The word "fair" should only be used to describe the weather or fly balls.  Or maybe that little celebration at the county fairgrounds.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

qdemn7

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2008, 01:38:21 AM »
The latest jargon I truly hate is "going forward". What's wrong with "from now on" or "in the future"?  angry

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2008, 08:11:12 AM »
And for the last farging time, "disrespect" is not a verb!

A dictionary I was browsing through recently, published in the 1970s, described the use of "disrespect" as a verb as "archaic".

According to the  "Online Etymology Dictionary", (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/disrespect, about half way down the page) the use of disrespect as a verb predates it as a noun (1614 vs. 1631).

Another particularly hideous (IMO) new use of language, almost ubiquitous in the UK (espescially by the government and the BBC) is using "faith" an adjective, as a synonym for "religious".

E.g. "Faith schools", "The faith community".  (And if no-one has already said it, I'll also add "community" when used to describe any group/catagory of people - e.g. "the unemployed community").

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2008, 08:13:44 AM »
Another particularly hideous (IMO) new use of language, almost ubiquitous in the UK (espescially by the government and the BBC) is using "faith" an adjective, as a synonym for "religious".

E.g. "Faith schools", "The faith community".  (And if no-one has already said it, I'll also add "community" when used to describe any group/catagory of people - e.g. "the unemployed community").

Agreed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife