Author Topic: Silver?  (Read 21922 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Silver?
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »
Can't determine what is best for you to use in self-defense unless you try a lot of guns first.

There are ranges that rent firearms for you to shoot there, are there not?

Yes.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2008, 10:49:29 AM »
Can't determine what is best for you to use in self-defense unless you try a lot of guns first.

Yes.

Then my plan is solid. Six or seven years from now, if you see a palefaced nerd with huge glasses at a range near you, it may be me.  grin

(Though I'm fairly set on my choice of rifle).
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2008, 10:50:16 AM »
What kind of rifle would that be?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2008, 11:08:39 AM »

Something on the AR-15 platform - I'm used to these from the Army, shoot fairly well with them, and did an armorer's course there, so I literally know every little nook and cranny on it, or at least used to (we spent two weeks on the course doing nothing but disassembling the M16A1 into its 90+ constituent parts).

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2008, 11:09:49 AM »

Something on the AR-15 platform - I'm used to these from the Army, shoot fairly well with them, and did an armorer's course there, so I literally know every little nook and cranny on it, or at least used to (we spent two weeks on the course doing nothing but disassembling the M16A1 into its 90+ constituent parts).

Eh.

Everyone has their own taste. Wink

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2008, 11:16:06 AM »
The AR platform gets lots of crap on the intarwebs, but you cold do a lot worse than that.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2008, 01:30:05 PM »
The idea some Americans seem to have that everybody should have a .22LR is utterly beyond me no matter how many times I read the arguments for it.

Maybe once you become an American you'll figure it out  cool

Anyway, a .22 doesn't fall on to the list a weapon, it's more of a staple, like flour or frozen meat.  Every house SHOULD have at least one, and a few bricks of ammo to practice with.

That, and they're just darned good fun!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2008, 05:37:31 PM »
The AR platform gets lots of crap on the intarwebs, but you cold do a lot worse than that.

Hey, unlike most people on this forum, I have experience actually carrying a full-sized rifle in public transport.

It's not that bad.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2008, 05:49:51 PM »

Not all of them.  Usually, its only when a gun store has an attached shooting range.  Not all ranges have gun stores, and vice versa.

Out where I'm at, the ranges and the gun stores are usually not located within a few miles of each other, let alone being in the same building.  The ranges are usually a couple (or more) miles out of town, and the gun store (if they're affiliated with the range) just sells memberships.  So none of them rent guns, because they can't supervise you easily.

On the plus side, the ranges usually feature a full sized 300+ yard rifle range.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Six or seven years from now?

In "gun years" that is a long, long time the way I see the scenario.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2008, 09:03:39 PM »
Hey, unlike most people on this forum, I have experience actually carrying a full-sized rifle in public transport.

It's not that bad.

Ok, I'll bite.

When I was a younger fellow in the mid 1970s, my sister and I carried our rifles on the school bus to school every Thursday.

We shot NRA-sponsored Junior Smallbore matches after classes in the school's indoor range.  I had (still have) a Remington 521T, and my sister had (still has) her Winchester Model 52C.

So, watch that "Unlike Most People" thingie...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2008, 09:20:50 PM »
Yeah, it's only in the last twenty or thirty years that having a gun at school or on public transportation was considered taboo.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2008, 02:16:44 AM »
There's still a HS rifle league here but I'm not sure how much of one. I'm thinking it's mostly private schools but I'll have to ask. I do know one of them calls the range where I work "home". They keep the rifles there in a safe, and have regular practices and matches there too. From the leftover targets I see some of them are mighty damn good and there's a sprinkling of ladies too. All is not lost,,,yet.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2008, 04:47:59 AM »

It's not that bad.

I toted my M4A1 on a commercial chartered airliner.  Placed it in overhead storage for the ride.

G98's is still the awesomest anecdote, however.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2008, 05:00:36 AM »

Toting an M16A1 on a public bus is a bit different.

You get used to the weight to the point you don't notice it any more - but length, now that's a problem.

In the Army, some people call it the "sorry gun", because of the manner you need to express yourself while carrying it on buses - "Oh, I'm sorry, I bumped into you with the stock, I'm sorry, ma'am, I didn't mean to jab the barrel into your forehead..." Smiley

That, and the foregrips tending to fall off on old ones.  grin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2008, 05:05:05 AM »

Toting an M16A1 on a public bus is a bit different.

You get used to the weight to the point you don't notice it any more - but length, now that's a problem.

In the Army, some people call it the "sorry gun", because of the manner you need to express yourself while carrying it on buses - "Oh, I'm sorry, I bumped into you with the stock, I'm sorry, ma'am, I didn't mean to jab the barrel into your forehead..." Smiley

That, and the foregrips tending to fall off on old ones.  grin

That would be one of the reasons I like the Daewoo I got.

Unfolded, it's as long as an M16A2, but a bit lighter.

Fold up the stock, and you can carry it on your back without bumping stuff. The ends no longer extend past your shoulder and hip if it's on your back like that.

I still wonder how many people got REALLY bashed by Garands on buses in the Pacific and stuff during WWII... grin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2008, 05:11:21 AM »
A guy I knew got a jaw broken/dislocated in this fashion, actually.

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2008, 06:07:33 AM »
Back on track...

Gold/silver will be useful in trading with people who HAVE stuff and are not in dire situations, people who know the value of their goods and are willing/able to take the time to evaluate whether something is silver or chrome, whether that Silver Eagle is worth a tank of gas or is just silver-plated plastic.

People keep tossing around "what can be traded" it seems without really considering WHO they're trading with and WHY. The guy selling gas or cigs during SHTF knows that he can get several times what he paid for it - and knows that you'll need it bad enough to undervalue your gold/silver in the trade. People will be trading their furs and jewels for a meal, knowing it's worthless to them if they don't make it past next week.

Methinks the best value of precious metals in SHTF is to carry that value over to the other side of the crisis. During the crisis, you'll want to trade stuff that has skyrocketed in value - which gold won't.
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2008, 06:10:55 AM »
Back on track...

Gold/silver will be useful in trading with people who HAVE stuff and are not in dire situations, people who know the value of their goods and are willing/able to take the time to evaluate whether something is silver or chrome, whether that Silver Eagle is worth a tank of gas or is just silver-plated plastic.

People keep tossing around "what can be traded" it seems without really considering WHO they're trading with and WHY. The guy selling gas or cigs during SHTF knows that he can get several times what he paid for it - and knows that you'll need it bad enough to undervalue your gold/silver in the trade. People will be trading their furs and jewels for a meal, knowing it's worthless to them if they don't make it past next week.

Methinks the best value of precious metals in SHTF is to carry that value over to the other side of the crisis. During the crisis, you'll want to trade stuff that has skyrocketed in value - which gold won't.

I suggest you real Alas, Babylon.

At one point, there a stupid woman who has traded food for a living room full of TVs and other junk, because she thinks she'll "be rich when everything gets back to normal".

But then she doesn't have any food...

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2008, 06:15:36 AM »
At one point, there a stupid woman who has traded food for a living room full of TVs and other junk, because she thinks she'll "be rich when everything gets back to normal".

There were people who did that during the Blockade, FWIW.

Frankly, if I'm starving, I'd rather have a chunk of gold that may buy me a loaf of bread, than a pile of green paper that used to be worth as much as the gold.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2008, 06:22:32 AM »
I wonder how many fiat dollars she could trade for T.V.'s and other junk, when the SHTF.

EDIT: Beat.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2008, 06:23:35 AM »
I wonder how many fiat dollars she could trade for T.V.'s and other junk, when the SHTF.

Is "fiat" the favorite word of Paulians? Just asking.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2008, 06:25:39 AM »
Okay, I'll use the word "counterfeit" if that pleases you.  police

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2008, 06:27:05 AM »

Is "fiat" the favorite word of Paulians? Just asking.

Actually, that's the favorite word of economists.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2008, 08:15:52 AM »

I suggest you real Alas, Babylon.

I remember reading that in back in High School.   Now, I'll have to go back and re-read it if the library has it.  Very interesting book, IIRC.  Made me start thinking about "What it the SHTF ??"
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.