Author Topic: Silver?  (Read 21925 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Silver?
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2008, 08:44:42 AM »
At one point, there a stupid woman who has traded food for a living room full of TVs and other junk, because she thinks she'll "be rich when everything gets back to normal".

There were people who did that during the Blockade, FWIW.

Frankly, if I'm starving, I'd rather have a chunk of gold that may buy me a loaf of bread, than a pile of green paper that used to be worth as much as the gold.
How many gold coins can you reasonably hope to accumulate?  At nearly $1000 an ounce, how much can you stockpile without wrecking your finances?  A dozen, maybe?

If things ever deteriorate to the point where those lumps of gold only buy a loaf of bread, then you're screwed.  Your entire savings at that point is only worth a week of food, less if you have a family to feed.

For the price of a dozen gold coins, you could buy a couple firearms and a few cases of ammo, a pile of sturdy warm clothing, a year's worth of food, garden tools and seeds, a gas generator, a well with a hand powered pump, LASIK surgery so that you can see clearly, EMT training and a stockpile of medical supplies, and an old 4x4.  Or, depending on where you live, for the cost of a dozen gold coins you could buy a few acres of land.

So, which seems like a better deal for your SHTF-prep dollars?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2008, 08:49:39 AM »
(BBC) A rare hoard of Roman gold coins dating back 1,800 years have been unveiled after being unearthed in the City of London.

The 43 22-carat gold coins - in mint condition - range from the reign of the Roman Emperor Nero in about AD 65 to the reign of the Roman Emperor Aurelius in AD 174.

Archaeologist Joe Severn discovered the hoard inside a leather bag during an archaeological dig in the heart of the City.

Building work at the site in Plantation Place, due to be developed into an office block, revealed a Roman villa and the coins were found under its floor.

They've found a number of these. It didn't help the villa owners when the Empire fell, because they were still there...

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2008, 08:59:08 AM »
A few small, relatively inexpensive bits of precious metal (pre-65 dimes for example) would be a good thing to have around. But it's hardly a priority.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2008, 09:01:39 AM »
A few small, relatively inexpensive bits of precious metal (pre-65 dimes for example) would be a good thing to have around. But it's hardly a priority.

I can guarantee you that to 99% of the population, it would be a dime. People don't know what pre-65 is, they don't know about silver content, and they won't believe you if you tell them that. The only people you can sell those to, now, is coin dealers. I do keep them and quarters when I get them in change, of course. But most people have no idea what 90% silver coins are, or even that the content ever changed.

Hell, I have trouble getting clerks to take golden dollars. Tongue

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2008, 09:12:10 AM »

I suggest you real Alas, Babylon.

I remember reading that in back in High School.   Now, I'll have to go back and re-read it if the library has it.  Very interesting book, IIRC.  Made me start thinking about "What it the SHTF ??"

You should also track down a copy of "Lights Out" by Halffast. Free in a PDF forum. Look on THR or the Frugal Squirrels forum.

A little over 500 pages of SHTF goodness, but with realism rather than fantasy (i.e., the protagonists don't have bunkers full of food and ammo...basically, they are not very well prepared, but make do with what they have and what they can trade for). 

But, however, trading using silver and gold does figure somewhat prominently, which I kind of have a hard time believing...

But still a great read.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2008, 09:30:12 AM »
Ok, I'll bite.

When I was a younger fellow in the mid 1970s, my sister and I carried our rifles on the school bus to school every Thursday.

Those must of been the days, Sad

suggest you real Alas, Babylon.

Oh my goodness, such a good book, Smiley Although I do prefer Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse, good read and full of usefull info.

Frankly, if I'm starving, I'd rather have a chunk of gold that may buy me a loaf of bread, than a pile of green paper that used to be worth as much as the gold.

I'de rather just have more stored food than spend a lot of money on something that more than likely won't get me very much when the SHTF. I imagine that things that have actual use will be more value than gold, which is no more useful than a paperweight. I imagine that ammunition would be much much more valuable than gold. I'de suggest not only stocking up on the kind of ammo for your gun but also have a large assortment of other kind that can be used for trade.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2008, 11:19:52 AM »
I'd rather have a chunk of gold that may buy me a loaf of bread
I'll be happy to sell you a loaf of bread for a chunk of gold.

That's exactly how gold/etc. will be useful during SHTF: bought cheap from those desperate for mundane staples. Pre-SHTF, I can stash a sack of wheat and packets of yeast for a whole lot less than the price of the gold you're stashing; I look forward to the trade. The crisis will pass; question is who will survive and have the gold at the end?

pre-65 dimes
It's still a dime. Most people will treat it as a dime, and the government (which most likely will still be functioning and collecting taxes) will treat it as a dime. Most of those who know "it's silver" won't know how much it's worth. Those who know how much a silver dime is worth won't want to deal in fiddling small change. The demand for its silver as silver will be extremely low as people are more interested in staples than luxuries. http://www.coinflation.com/"" target="_blank">Currently, the intrinsic value of a pre-'65 dime is $0.80 (how many here knew that? fess up); don't think I'd even give you a loaf of bread for it.

As noted above, people don't even know what _current_ currency is, looking at you funny if you hand 'em a 2008 dollar coin, and calling the cops over $2 bills - and that's legal tender.
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2008, 12:27:13 PM »

pre-65 dimes
Currently, the intrinsic value of a pre-'65 dime is $0.80[/url] (how many here knew that? fess up);

0.79 as of close today.  Your friendly neighborhood coin dealer may pay you 6.5x face value for your silver coins tomorrow.

As noted above, people don't even know what _current_ currency is, looking at you funny if you hand 'em a 2008 dollar coin, and calling the cops over $2 bills - and that's legal tender.

I have been known to get a bundle of $2 at the bank on payday as walking around money. I love to keep those circulating.  The tellers at my bank gang up and ASK ME if I want them.
Sacajaweas are another favorite, but heavy.

I've been biting my lip on this thread, only because I've been a semi-willing PM investor as a result of a family tragedy this July. 
I suppose Precious Metals can be a valuable part of a well-diversified portfolio, but I'd be a fool to cash out stocks right now.
Like my paternal grandfather said JP Getty said, "Buy when everyone is selling and sell when everyone is buying."

7-11 was a part time job.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2011, 06:00:36 AM »
Currently, the intrinsic value of a pre-'65 dime is $0.80[/url] (how many here knew that? fess up); don't think I'd even give you a loaf of bread for it.

Amusingly, I just found another pre-65 dime a couple weeks ago by way of having the soda machine at work refuse it.  When I checked then, melt value was $2.42.  Now it's $2.74.  Not a bad rate of return.  Wish I'd bought up a bunch of them back when this thread was active before.