Author Topic: Casey Anthony acquitted  (Read 16374 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Casey Anthony acquitted
« on: July 05, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »
This just in: Casey Anthony acquitted of murdering her daughter.  The only conviction was for giving false information to a police officer.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Casey Anthony acquitted
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »
Who?

This is all over drudge and fox, but I never heard of it before today.

Why do we (or the nooz, at least) ritually pick one particular court case to follow every year or so?  What's so unique about this murder trial that makes it any different than any other?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 03:55:14 PM »
Partly it is sensationalism on the part of the bloody journos.

Partly it's because a mother murdering her 3 y/o is enough of an outrage that people take notice and care.

She sounded pretty obviously guilty, based on what I've seen. Sad she seems to be pulling an OJ. G-D trailer trash w####, one can only hope she OD's on meth before she has time to procreate then murder her offspring again.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »
Surprised me!

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 04:04:20 PM »
From what little I've seen, the prosecution didn't meet the "Beyond a reasonable doubt" standard. Maybe she did it, maybe not, but you have to prove it.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 04:14:35 PM »
yup
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 04:30:03 PM »
From what little I've seen, the prosecution didn't meet the "Beyond a reasonable doubt" standard. Maybe she did it, maybe not, but you have to prove it.

From a common sense standard, rather than an American legal standard, she's obviously up to her eyeballs in her daughter's death and disappearance, but the vague facts of the case were in her favor, and prosecutorial incompetence broke her way.

My gut feeling is that the daughter died through neglect/abuse/gross-indifference (drugging her to allow the mother to go out on dates etc.) and then due to the mother's squirrely nature and as a known habitual liar, she needlessly over-complicated the cover story of a disappearance, to the point it actually came full-circle back into her favor by creating too much reasonable doubt.

Just through all the crazy that came out in the trial, I could see Casey Anthony actually trying to stage her daughter's non-intentionally (however negligently it may have been) dead body as a foul-play murder with the duct-tape by over-thinking all the lies. I'm sure many have seen the type, Narcissistic personality disorder, that continually manifests itself as constant calculation an scheming to the point of sociopathy as to what they want, what their status in life is vis-a-vi their family and peer groups etc.

She's one of those "goes free to protect the innocent" cases unfortunately.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:35:34 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 04:33:57 PM »
Even though I've tried to avoid it, practically every time I tuned to Fox this story was running . . . so I couldn't help but hear a few things before I changed the channel. (Fox was becoming the "All Casey, All The Time" channel.)

Did she do it? I don't know . . . and clearly the jury didn't, either. Showing that someone is a worthless lowlife isn't the same as proving - proving! - she killed her kid. My gut feel is that she's guilty . . . but I wasn't in the court and can't say beyond a reasonable doubt that she in fact killed her kid.

As for the "lying to a cop" conviction  - remember Martha Stewart, anyone? - it says, once again, to keep your mouth SHUT when being questioned. (I have a problem with making it a crime to lie when you're NOT under oath . . . when the person you're talking to is free to lie to YOU.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 04:41:55 PM »
Quite honestly the woman was tried and convicted by the "expert" talking heads the media(s) conjured up. I happened to be in Orlando when the body was discovered, you think Fox was all Casey all the time? You should have seen the local cobverage in Orlando while it was unfolding. I can't see her doing it intentionally. Accidentally out of stupidity, maybe. But again, where's the proof?

The prosecutors made reference to some 100+ other child murder cases on the docket in FL. My thought too was, "What makes this trial so special?"

Same with Gabby and all that coverage. Meanwhile here in CT a teenager died of a similar head wound. No major coverage on that one, 10 seconds at the most announcing his death. I know I'm preaching to the choir but the media in this country just plain sucks ass.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 04:43:50 PM »
There's no way she could have kept silent. You watch her talking for more thin five minutes and you can see she has the kind of personality where she HAS to say SOMETHING. Keeping silent is just not an option. Although I agree, had she reported her daughter missing right away, or within a believable time-frame of 1-2 days or whatever, then clammed up on the 5th amendment/Miranda grounds saying "I think the cops are trying to railroad me", she'd have 50% of America believing her. Like the Jon Benet Ramsey case, or Elizabeth Smart where the family was under suspicion for a long time.

It's just how she passive-aggressively controls the world and her environment. I suspect she is the sort who lies constantly even about innocuous things, just to feel in control of people and events around her. I don't think a defense attorney with a cattle prod could have shut her up.

I don't think there's anyone who believes she's not responsible for her daughter's death somehow. She's merely getting off on double-jeopardy and that the DA's were overconfident and outraged enough to go for murder, and not for some sort of lesser manslaughter type of charge.

I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 04:46:17 PM »

I haven't kept up with the story much; but, from what little I've heard, the prosecution tried to make a lot of hay with not a lot of evidence...most of it circumstantial. There was significantly less evidence than what Texas had when they went after Darlie Routier ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlie_Routier ).

I'm more interested in what the judge will do with the four "lying to the LEO" counts....knowing the political/popular pressure involved, she may end up doing more time for that than for the actual murder....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 05:05:14 PM »
Speculation is she will walk on time served Thursday. But, of course, it's talking expert heads doing the speculating. Talk about trailer trash though, Nancy Grace had some bimbo outside the bar where the defense people were celebrating with disgruntled people crowding around outside and asked what looked like another piece of trash her opinion which was, "I had a chance to be on the jury but I squirmed out of it. Now I'm sorry because I would have voted for conviction and at least hung the jury."  [barf]

Avoid cliches like the plague!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 05:13:13 PM »
There's no way she could have kept silent. You watch her talking for more thin five minutes and you can see she has the kind of personality where she HAS to say SOMETHING. Keeping silent is just not an option. Although I agree, had she reported her daughter missing right away, or within a believable time-frame of 1-2 days or whatever, then clammed up on the 5th amendment/Miranda grounds saying "I think the cops are trying to railroad me", she'd have 50% of America believing her. Like the Jon Benet Ramsey case, or Elizabeth Smart where the family was under suspicion for a long time.

It's just how she passive-aggressively controls the world and her environment. I suspect she is the sort who lies constantly even about innocuous things, just to feel in control of people and events around her. I don't think a defense attorney with a cattle prod could have shut her up.

I don't think there's anyone who believes she's not responsible for her daughter's death somehow. She's merely getting off on double-jeopardy and that the DA's were overconfident and outraged enough to go for murder, and not for some sort of lesser manslaughter type of charge.

Precisely why she didn't take the stand in her own defense.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »
Precisely why she didn't take the stand in her own defense.

Yes, although the common wisdom that the accused never should take the stand kind of weakens this particular case of it a bit.

The main thing I agree with is about the disproportionate coverage this case has gotten. Just one more reason I loathe the MSM. Kids die from abuse and neglect every day, and a few actual cases of random stranger rape/kidnappings too. And the only common thread about which get covered is how photogenic the victims and the abuser are.

IMO, disproportionately reporting on one case or instance of "the truth" warps peoples minds as much as outright lies do.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 05:32:25 PM »
Good point aj.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 06:51:07 PM »
Speculation is she will walk on time served Thursday. But, of course, it's talking expert heads doing the speculating. Talk about trailer trash though, Nancy Grace had some bimbo outside the bar where the defense people were celebrating with disgruntled people crowding around outside and asked what looked like another piece of trash her opinion which was, "I had a chance to be on the jury but I squirmed out of it. Now I'm sorry because I would have voted for conviction and at least hung the jury."  [barf]

Poor Nancy Grace (speaking of trash!) ... she has made Casey Anthony into a freakin' career, and now she's been deprived of her opportunity to gloat.

There's a word for people like her, but I don't think I'm supposed to use it on this site. (Hint: the word is not "journalist.")
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 06:56:04 PM »
Poor Nancy Grace (speaking of trash!) ... she has made Casey Anthony into a freakin' career, and now she's been deprived of her opportunity to gloat.

There's a word for people like her, but I don't think I'm supposed to use it on this site. (Hint: the word is not "journalist.")
If memory serves, she caused one woman to commit suicide due to false allegations.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »

harridan a bad word here?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
Thanks to the media, that piece of filth will be writing a book in a year or two and making millions.
 :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 07:23:44 PM »
Thanks to the media, that piece of filth will be writing a book in a year or two and making millions.
 :facepalm:

Not to mention any deals Casey Anthony gets too...
I promise not to duck.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 07:28:42 PM »
A darn shame.  A kid disappears, momma parties like crazy and does not report her missing for a month, kid found dead and buried with duct tape across her mouth.  If someone doesn't spend at least 30 years in prison, we have a major problem....which apparently we do. I hope she lives a miserable life which ends badly for her. 

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 07:42:51 PM »
I have a hard time believing the state screwed up so thoroughly.  Usually the state does a better job of matching charges to evidence.  It is almost like the state deemed her guilty and decided to shoot the moon on charges with little regard to evidence in hand.  The only charge she was convicted on was a throwaway.  I guess the jury felt sorry for the state.  Someone will have to explain this fiasco.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 07:50:11 PM »

harridan a bad word here?

Yeah....far too wishy-washy a word to describe her....feel free to try again.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 07:52:01 PM »
I hope she lives a miserable life which ends badly for her. 

Chances are, she's well on her way.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 08:08:24 PM »
I have a hard time believing the state screwed up so thoroughly.  Usually the state does a better job of matching charges to evidence.  It is almost like the state deemed her guilty and decided to shoot the moon on charges with little regard to evidence in hand.  The only charge she was convicted on was a throwaway.  I guess the jury felt sorry for the state.  Someone will have to explain this fiasco.
Honestly, if I were on the jury and had already decided "not guilty" on the big charge, I would be inclined to vote not guilty on charges like that also.  I really hate the "well, we got her on something" charges. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge