Author Topic: Hats.  (Read 19352 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Hats.
« on: December 01, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
I know we have had hat discussions before but I wanted to poll the APS population on their opinions. I am going up north twice this winter--once to the Flint/Detroit dystopia and once to Philly. I need appropriate head gear. Preferable something that covers my ears like a ushanka of some sort. I know on the Philly trip I will be spending a lot of time outdoors after dark.

I was thinking about getting one of these since I will be open carrying my Tokarev in MI.

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Soviet-Military-Cossack-Ushanka/dp/B002Y41WJ8

or maybe one of the more stylish plaid and faux fur ones you can get in Macy's or wherever.

I was also looking at getting something along this line for around town wear during the colder seasons.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIC1-Tilley-Ivy-Cap-Winter-Travel-Wool-Brown-NEW-/350433099804?pt=US_Hats&var=&hash=item905b7cd47c#ht_1329wt_906
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Hats.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 02:09:41 PM »
Please refer to my avatar.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 02:16:18 PM »
Please refer to my avatar.

He should wear a dead squirrel on his head?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 02:17:10 PM »
Red and yellow knitted cap with earflaps that tie under your chin, if you're not afraid to walk down the street wearing it.

:cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »
Ski mask from Wal-Mart.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 02:22:39 PM »
Red and yellow knitted cap with earflaps that tie under your chin, if you're not afraid to walk down the street wearing it.

:cool:

I would also suggest something cunning.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 02:26:13 PM »
Yes I forgot the cunning hat. I think I will get one regardless. Every man should have that in his headgear inventory

"+10 Cunning, Helmet of Canton"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 02:26:50 PM »
He should wear a dead squirrel on his head?

:D :D :D

You caught me with that at just the right moment.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 02:35:27 PM »
I have a russian style ushanka like the one you linked to.

I removed the faux soviet insignia tourist garabge, and added velcro to the flaps.  I found it to be an inexpensive and warm winter hat.  Very useful when I had to walk to class in the northern Indiana winter.

Anymore I generally wear a black knitted winter hat.  The first one I bought from walmart was rubbish - the knit was too loose and wind cut right through it!  I threw it away and bought a Carhartt branded one, which is much, much warmer.  Unlike the ushanka, a black knitted hat is very nondescript, which is a feature I find useful in everyday life.  The nail that stands up, gets the hammer.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 02:37:34 PM »
Most gents up north wear a stocking hat in the winter time.

Fedora type hats will cause stares because most folks will think you are stupid for not covering your ears.

We have a saying in the snow/blizzard country, farther North you go, the smarter people are. (Winter weeds out the dumb ones)

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 02:44:36 PM »
I wear a high-viz knitted watch cap that I bought from Tractor Supply.  I figure they can see my head poking out of the snow before the spring thaw.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 02:50:38 PM »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 03:00:33 PM »
a real hat is a commitment

a stocking cap is low maintenance

Today is green Wool felt fedora weather
yesterday was brown leather Drover hat weather
monday was knit stocking cap in the jacket pocket weather

soon it will be horribly ugly plaid bomber hat weather
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »
I do have a carhartt beanie which is really warm but is a size to small. And a little ratty on top of that. The other problem with beanies is that I officially have Too Much Hair and it looks REALLY crazy when I pull it off. A ushanka may not help that problem though.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »
Carhartt knit cap - runs around $8.00.
I got one years ago @ TSC. It keeps me uncomfortably warm in the coldest OH winters.
It is well made, thick, does not tear easily, and is very comfortable.
http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=32047&langId=-1&categoryId=10902&top_category=10901

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 03:19:22 PM »
The only time I wear a beanie/stocking cap is the issued PT cap.

All other times it is either a ball cap, cowboy hat off duty or the patrol cap, beret  [barf], thank god that isn't mandatory anymore, or ACH on duty, then there is the Stetson when I want since I am part of a CAV unit.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 04:04:13 PM »
I've got a bush hat that I wear until the weather gets too cold (I'm not a good enough cowboy to wear a real cowboy hat).

Then I've got a carhart lined baseball cap with earflaps, that covers most of the winter.

For real cold, I've got a carhart bomber hat: rabbit fur and brown duck shell. (Howdy, comrade  =) )
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 04:15:34 PM »
I've got a bush hat that I wear until the weather gets too cold (I'm not a good enough cowboy to wear a real cowboy hat).

Ditto... I have a Henschel "Explorer" that I wear out in the desert here.  Keeps my head warm for cool desert evenings, and keeps the sun off most of my head during the day.  Feel out of character with a cowboy hat, but this one suits me well enough.  Probably the best, most sensible hat I've ever bought.

Not terribly applicable to your cold weather concerns, but if you're ever out this way again and want to hit some nifty corners of the desert or mountains, it's a great hat to take.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 04:29:32 PM »
Many to choose from:
http://www.hartfordyork.com/category/fur-hats/1

Or just wear a shemagh. It's tactical.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 04:43:27 PM »
Ditto... I have a Henschel "Explorer" that I wear out in the desert here.  Keeps my head warm for cool desert evenings, and keeps the sun off most of my head during the day.  Feel out of character with a cowboy hat, but this one suits me well enough.  Probably the best, most sensible hat I've ever bought.

Not terribly applicable to your cold weather concerns, but if you're ever out this way again and want to hit some nifty corners of the desert or mountains, it's a great hat to take.

Maybe I used the wrong term ...?  =|

Mine is oilskin, low round crown, floppy brim.  I wear it snapped up on both sides, so it sorta looks like a cowboy hat.

Oh, yeah - and a chin string.  Any hat I wear riding needs to have a chin string.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »
I vote no for the russian. Its not halloween.

Yes, for the second. Stylish, yet classy.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »
I recommend the Radar O'Reilly.

And for milder weather:

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 05:33:24 PM »
This is my general purpose camp/hunt hat: http://www.filson.com/products/shelter-cloth-packer-hat.60017.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=mens/hats-gloves&fmetaProduct=1011

Chris

I keep almost buying one of those and not getting to it along with a set of the oil cloth pants.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 06:08:46 PM »
You sure can tell the southern guys in this thread.  ;/

Most gents up north wear a stocking hat in the winter time.
Fedora type hats will cause stares because most folks will think you are stupid for not covering your ears.
We have a saying in the snow/blizzard country, farther North you go, the smarter people are. (Winter weeds out the dumb ones)
QFT

Mad Bomber.
http://www.madbomber.com
The last word(s) in cold weather headgear. I've tried them all.

Insist on real rabbit fur.

This

for everyday use, in black - remove the patch
7-11 was a part time job.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 06:12:36 PM »
For all the years I lived in Wisconsin, I used a regular knit wool hat. If it got really cold, I had the insulated hood of my parka that I could draw closed around my face, leaving an opening just for my eyes. It had to be awfully cold to require that, as in -10 to -50.