Author Topic: What's with you people?  (Read 8863 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
What's with you people?
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2006, 10:43:49 AM »
I post on that third forum, and I must say most of you would never, ever make the cut.  Especially you; you know who you are.

Let's see who believes me.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
What's with you people?
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2006, 10:45:37 AM »
ROTFL! Nice.

Seriously: not all deserving people have been invited yet. It's only a matter of time before interesting, mature adults (and kids who act that way) get invited.

cosine

• Administrator
What's with you people?
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 10:52:59 AM »
Hmm, my interest has been piqued. Maybe I should stop poking the members here in an immature attempt at humor. Smiley Maybe I should straighten up my act and behave like an adult.
Andy

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
What's with you people?
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2006, 10:56:58 AM »
What would be the fun of that!? How about acting like an 11yo kid with good manners and a thirst for knowledge? I'd take that for company over some chronologically adult belligerent know-it-alls I've met.

What's with you people?
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2006, 11:02:25 AM »
It sounds like The Island.

Anyway, my post wasn't about the rampant need for moderation. (there is none) It's about how personal attacks and crudeness of many levels beyond what I would have even thought about doing and then decided not to are now seeming to become standard behavior here. That is profoundly disturbing on many levels, for some reason it bothers me more to see it now than it would have a year ago. Odd.

And again, I didn't register a new account here. Wink (Although there was no agreement not to but merely a request, which I honored)

Honestly? I would do away with the private complaints. Smacks of the KGB. If someone has a problem, let them state it publicly in the same post as a reply to the individual. If they don't have the fortitude to complain publicly until after someone is gone, their viewpoint is clearly disjointed.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
What's with you people?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2006, 11:13:11 AM »
Quote from: fistful
I post on that third forum, and I must say most of you would never, ever make the cut.  Especially you; you know who you are.

I think I'd be in the top ten of your boot list Fistful.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
What's with you people?
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2006, 11:18:14 AM »
It's about how personal attacks and crudeness of many levels beyond what I would have even thought about doing and then decided not to are now seeming to become standard behavior here.
I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing this myself. Maybe I've missed these incursions.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

What's with you people?
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2006, 11:19:36 AM »
Check the atkins thread, and the parks thread.

cosine

• Administrator
What's with you people?
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2006, 11:27:09 AM »

I believe you. Here's why: You're a principled individual, as seen by your posts; I know you're a dedicated Christian, which I consider a second strike against you lying about something like this; and you didn't add any smileys to your post indicating a light hearted stretching-of-the-truth (which is a staple of your posting habits), so yes, I believe you.

Or were you not expecting anyone to actually answer seriously that they believed you?
Andy

280plus

• friend
What's with you people?
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2006, 11:57:26 AM »
OK, I just reread the Atkins thread. I don't see anybody getting too far out of line. A little heat maybe but it cooled off nicely IMHO. I haint got time to read the other, which I will admit, I haven't been following.

Meanwhile I'm starting to regret my stories of the PI so I'll try to keep that in mind for the next time I feel like relating some of the more sordid details of my misspent youth. Tongue

Apologies...

280plus

• friend
What's with you people?
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2006, 11:58:27 AM »
I'll try to get to that one later btw, duty calls.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
What's with you people?
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 12:24:35 PM »
I think a few of us need to take a step back and realize that while all of us may not be PERFECT, this forum is still the best I've seen. The proposed moderation system is anti what I see as the goals of this forum. If I have an objection with the way someone is treating me, I'll tell them. I bet if you let people try to settle things most things will be settled.

For example... me and Fistful are diametrically opposed on most details, but because we haven't been banned for being at each other's throats for a few months now, we, well I can't speak for him, but I have found that I agree with him on most basic truths. We may have different names for them or different motivations but we've found common ground.

This third forum seems really interesting, at least from an anthropological point of view. The workings of a small, handpicked society of people from completely different backgrounds. You rock, Oleg. Nastayashe mushina.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
What's with you people?
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2006, 12:31:09 PM »
Winston, you figured out my motivation for creating that environment.

Moondoggie

• friend
What's with you people?
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2006, 12:34:14 PM »
I don't get it, either.

I've never percieved any over-the-top negative postings.  Even Blackburn was pretty benign compared to most troll-types.  I'm not throwing any stones at Oleg's decision to ban him, and his attempted return is in pretty poor taste, but he's a long way from inciting a riot.

I don't know how I'm missing the controversy since I generally read APS several times a day, but I just don't see a problem here.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

MicroBalrog

• friend
What's with you people?
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2006, 12:49:09 PM »
The problem is that we have too much people.

TFL was very good until it broke a certain size limit, so was (I hear) AR15.com, and so was this.

I suggest at some point we should ban further registration.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
What's with you people?
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2006, 01:23:37 PM »
Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka gave a great talk on running a successful board, and balancing the need for fresh blood with the need to keep assclowns to a minimum.

I have it on video (lowtax-uiuc-speech.wmv), which anyone using Soulseek can get by browsing my files. (username:wingnutx)

Lowtax runs 'somethingawful.com, which is a far cry from THR, but undoubtedly one of the most successful boards on the internet. It's an interesting and amusing lecture in any case.

Personally I think this board is great as-is.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
What's with you people?
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2006, 01:29:13 PM »
Could you explain to me how to find that file?

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
What's with you people?
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2006, 01:34:38 PM »
in soulseek:

right-click on the 'users' section, which is the subwindow on the uppe right by default. Select 'add user' and enter my name intot he resulting dialog box.

From there, you can right click on my name and selct 'browse user's files' and you will be able to see what I have in my shared folder.

You could also just do a search by filename in the regular search screen.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
What's with you people?
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2006, 01:43:44 PM »
cosine,

I'm not on the third forum.

Winston,

True to form, I disagree.  We probably disagree on "basic truths" but agree on less fundamental things.  This is the same way in which Islam and Christianity differ on the big questions - the nature of God, salvation, etc; but less central teachings are similar - adultery, fornication, murder and so on.

Gotta run.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

What's with you people?
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2006, 02:15:43 PM »
Anyway, my post wasn't about the rampant need for moderation.
I strongly suspect that your post was about a rampant need for attention, which is also my guess as to the root cause of why you were banned in the first place. Believe it or not I dont think many people even noticed when that happened and I didnt see anyone cheering it, then again noone was too upset either. I know, indifference is probably the worse thing that could ever happen to a person like you, so if it makes you feel better I am kinda happy that your gone, although I wouldnt have actually banned you if i were in charge.

Im not saying that to insult you or make you feel bad, but to give you a clue as to how you can have more success with interpersonal relationships in the future.

280plus

• friend
What's with you people?
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2006, 02:35:27 PM »
I'm not seeing any big problems over at the parks thread either. Nothing unusual anyways. Looks like a pretty sound and civilized discussion to me...

Sorry dude, I'm going to have to give C Yeager's comments a +1, I think he nailed it.

cosine

• Administrator
What's with you people?
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2006, 03:10:56 PM »
cosine,

I'm not on the third forum.
Aw man! You just totally destroyed my faith in the inherent goodness and truthfulness of humanity! Tongue
Andy

mtnbkr

• friend
What's with you people?
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2006, 04:56:41 PM »
This has been on my mind all evening (been a slow day I guess).  Seems to me the only time there's a discussion on moderating this forum is when Blackburn strolls by.  That should tell you something.

Chris

Antibubba

• friend
What's with you people?
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2006, 06:32:19 PM »
Oleg, this is the most comfortable place on the internet that I know.  It reminds me of a funky little coffeehouse with big overstuffed chairs, where regulars sometimes get a little heated but are also "there" for each other when needed.  I'm sure this Third Group is fascinating, although I tend to feel the same way as Groucho about being invited to join anything :p  

I like it the way it is.  I think people let their hair down a bit here; I do.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

caseydog

• friend
What's with you people?
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2006, 07:16:29 PM »
I refuse to continue into a discussion once it becomes contentious , simply put arguing with someone on the internet is much like banging ones head on a wall , it feels good to stop. So i stopped ,I used to bicker - no more , stepped up the self control a few notches.

I stopped frequenting THR , not because I got into arguments but because of the petty nature of sooo many posts, the thread that kicked it for me was some newb asked for a trim length for some revolver cartridge (44 mag I think) , the next guy gives him the length from his load book, the next 6 posts demean anyone who trims pistol brass , then the next poster whacks the guy who gave him the length cause his source says it should be .001" more.... and this is supposed to be fun Huh?

This place is much more pleasant "most" of the time, I don't post much but I read everyday and I see a little acrimony sometimes , usually the same people butting heads.

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...