Author Topic: Beets...  (Read 3503 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Beets...
« on: July 12, 2007, 05:20:24 AM »
Last week while I was in Pennsylvania visiting Mom and I came up with a new recipe for a chilled beet salad with dried cranberries, feta cheese, and bacon.

In discussing it with some of my culinarily inclined friends I've come to the conclusion that Mom and I must be the only two people on the face of the earth who actually like beets.

I know there must be a few more of you, so don't be afraid. Come out of the darkness and into the light...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
Re: Beets...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 05:26:31 AM »
I can take them or leave them.
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 05:38:14 AM »
Beets.  Mmmmmmm, good.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 05:50:39 AM »
No such thing as a "good" beet...not even the dead ones.

My wife loves them.

One of our friends cooks a dish called "Company Beets" where she adds canned pineapple and some spices like nutmeg & cloves...still doesn't float my boat.  It's a standing joke at their house when they're served...."Everybody gets Company Beets, except Randy".
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 06:12:58 AM »
Borscht can be good.  smiley

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 06:25:52 AM »
When i was down under in Sydney last year, the local mcDs served the McOz burger

It had big pickled red beet slice on it instead of a pickled cucumber
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 06:28:28 AM »
When i was down under in Sydney last year, the local mcDs served the McOz burger

It had big pickled red beet slice on it instead of a pickled cucumber

Hungry Jack's, their Burger King (anti-monarchist-sensitive marketing!), also has that.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 06:36:56 AM »
Pull 'em up when they're small - as in one to one & one half inch diameter - boil 'em up and serve with butter, salt & pepper. Mmmmm.

We also thin them in the early part of the season. Save the 'greens', wash 'em, steam 'em and again, serve with butter, salt & pepper. If you like spinach, you'll love beet greens.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 06:38:41 AM »
I like pickled beets once or twice a year.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 06:45:46 AM »
I like pickled beets once or twice a DAY.

But, I've not pickled any beets in far too long...

I know what I'm going to be doing this evening.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 06:59:52 AM »
I've had eggs pickled in leftover pickled beet juice.  That's about the only thing good a beet can be used for IMO. Smiley

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 07:01:21 AM »

Вы русский?
  smiley

If you have an AK or Mosin, put it in the kitchen, it'll feel like it's back at home.  cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 07:09:09 AM »
I don't know where you boys get your information, but pickled beets and eggs are VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY much a part of the Pennsylvania Dutch culture in which I grew up.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 07:19:26 AM »
Fresh young beets gently stewed (poached?) with butter, salt and pepperr. MMmmmm.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 08:05:20 AM »

Now I could eat pickled eggs everyday, my wife may not appreciate my flatulence though. I find pickled beets to be a little sweet for my tastes. I do like them in some potato salads.

Uranus is a gas giant.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 09:21:37 AM »
I don't know where you boys get your information, but pickled beets and eggs are VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY much a part of the Pennsylvania Dutch culture in which I grew up.

Grandparents were from Penna.  Grammaw used to tell me how their Penna Dutch neighbors would call their kids to dinner.  "Hoooo dinner.  Ma and Pa's on the table and half 'et already." grin
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 09:44:05 AM »
SWMBO and I both like them.  Izzy's, a local pizza/buffet chain, and the Sizzlers in Albany have pickeled beets on the salad bar. Good stuff.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 02:48:51 PM »

Yep, that about covers it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 03:23:11 PM »
Odd, I don't think I've ever actually tried beets.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 04:14:23 PM »
Beets aren't bad. I like 'em when they're small and sweet, however. When they get big and woody I'm not as fond of them.
Andy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 05:34:13 PM »
I bet I could make beets in such a manner that all you pagans who claim to hate them would snarf them down and scream, beg, and cry for more...

Sliced thin and charcoal roasted...

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 05:52:19 PM »
Them ain't REAL pagans Mike, theys just pretenders.  grin

Yeppers, we usually had a jar of 'em in the fridge in the summer when I was growing up.  On hot summer evenings after a day at the local pool dinner would be cold 'tater salid, pickled beats & eggs (loved that deep purple color the eggs got as we listened to Deep Purple on the radio) and pineapple sorbet for dessert.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Vile Nylons

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 03:34:31 AM »
Done right pickled beets are quite good. My mom always had a supply of jars sitting on her pantry shelves. Been missing them since her passing, until I ran into some just like hers on a salad bar in Rochester, MN.  Turned out they were produced by Sysco.  Rather rude of them stealing her recipe, but I enjoyed them anyway; and the memories.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 03:53:21 AM »
We have 3 jars in the pantry now and my wife will be putting more back this fall.

Since we now own a business doing this kind of stuff, she is getting orders for some.  The only problem is she does it the old fashined way and it takes @23 days for them to cure correctly.  It doesn't make for fast profits...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 05:14:08 AM »
I bet I could make beets in such a manner that all you pagans who claim to hate them would snarf them down and scream, beg, and cry for more...

Sliced thin and charcoal roasted...

I thought you would bread them and deep fat fry Smiley

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.