Author Topic: Who here likes Indian food?  (Read 2897 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Who here likes Indian food?
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 11:57:04 AM »
That's sad, Mike.

I wish my great-grandmother was still with us - I'd be her partner in setting up an Essenhaus there. She was a cooking virtuoso from the Old Country. I do have her monster of a cast metal spaetzle press, though. (And her signed copy of Mein Kampf, but don't know how she got it, since my family came across the pond well before the Beer Hall Putsch)  shocked
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 12:35:08 PM »
You know, the one thing we really lack in DC metro is a decent German restaurant...

There is a really good one in Des Moines, IA. You have to make the trip there when you come to Iowa again. Lots of German beers on tap too, big 2 litre mugs and women in lederhosen.

http://www.hessenhaus.com/

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 02:43:09 PM »
*raises his hand*

But then, I am English, and Indian food has practically become the new national dish in England Smiley

Paddy

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 03:03:42 PM »
But then, I am English, and Indian food has practically become the new national dish in England Smiley
Chicken Tikka Masala, one of the most popular dishes worldwide, was invented in Scotland.  A customer thought his chicken was too dry, and asked for some 'gravy'.  The chef obliged, improvising a sauce with a tomato soup base, the story goes.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 04:23:46 PM »
I get kind of depressed when people start talking about all sorts of exotic food.
9 out of 10 (There's really only like 12...) restaurants in my town are fast food.
McD's, BK, Wendy's, KFC...
We only have a couple of real restaurants, and 2 of them are Chinese, another Mexican.
Though the good restaurants are all great, there's still not much variety around here.

That is one of the few really good things about living in a major metro area. There are a HUGE number of restaurant options over all quality and price ranges.

On top of the regular fast food and chain restaurants I can, within a matter of minutes, eat at Thai, Indian, Pakistani, Russian, Ethopian, Syrian, Lebanese, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Philippino, Cuban, Peruvian, Brazilian, Argentinian, Mexican, Scottish, British, Irish, Mongolian, Turkish, French, Italian, and a BUNCH of other ethnic restaurants.

Of course, where do I normally eat?

Cracker Barrel...  rolleyes

Actually, that was something I meant to say in that post but forgot somehow...
The restaurant choices up in Virginia Beach where my dad lives is mind blowing.  Lots of good eateries up there.  Of course I'm not in control so I only try a small portion of them.  But still, very nice places.

I'm still convinced the best way to go is to live in a small town near a big city (couple of hours away) or just in the middle of no where.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 05:24:51 PM »

I'm still convinced the best way to go is to live in a small town near a big city (couple of hours away) or just in the middle of no where.

I have that right now, I live in Ames, IA and from my door step I can be in downtown Des Moines in about 45 minutes, if I try really hard I can be sitting at a table looking at menu in 55 minutes.

I know Des Moines isn't a big city by some people's comparisons, but it does offer just about everything a big city has except for rail based mass transit and major league sports. Worse comes to worse I'm 50 minutes from the Airport and can go anywhere in the world from there.

-C

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2007, 12:48:35 AM »
Is it made from 100% all natural Indians?  angel
Avoid cliches like the plague!