Author Topic: Why Airport Security Is Broken - And How To Fix It  (Read 2146 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Why Airport Security Is Broken - And How To Fix It
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:07:13 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303815404577335783535660546.html
Article written by the former head of the TSA, Kip Hawley.

From the article:
Any effort to rebuild TSA and get airport security right in the U.S. has to start with two basic principles:

First, the TSA's mission is to prevent a catastrophic attack on the transportation system, not to ensure that every single passenger can avoid harm while traveling. Much of the friction in the system today results from rules that are direct responses to how we were attacked on 9/11. But it's simply no longer the case that killing a few people on board a plane could lead to a hijacking. Never again will a terrorist be able to breach the cockpit simply with a box cutter or a knife. The cockpit doors have been reinforced, and passengers, flight crews and air marshals would intervene.

Second, the TSA's job is to manage risk, not to enforce regulations. Terrorists are adaptive, and we need to be adaptive, too. Regulations are always playing catch-up, because terrorists design their plots around the loopholes.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
Re: Why Airport Security Is Broken - And How To Fix It
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:26:52 AM »
Wonder if this contributed to WHY he's the former head of TSA?

Common sense and logic are frowned on in the current administration. And relinquishing control once it's been gained is unlikely.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Actually sounds more like a political appointee changeover when BO was elected.

Good article.  I'd like to see those changes enacted.  Not having flown from before 9/11 till this year, I missed the worst of the TSA.  My travel experience this year, which included an international flight and another flight with children, were actually more pleasant than pre-9/11.  I found the TSA more pleasant and more professional than the security system in place prior to 9/11. 

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »

Good article.  I'd like to see those changes enacted.  Not having flown from before 9/11 till this year, I missed the worst of the TSA.  My travel experience this year, which included an international flight and another flight with children, were actually more pleasant than pre-9/11.  I found the TSA more pleasant and more professional than the security system in place prior to 9/11. 

Chris

heresy!
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 11:36:47 AM »

Chris
You got lucky. Or maybe the security was private, wearing TSA ninja attire
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »
To be fair, they may have been fairly well beaten into submission by the bad press over the last decade.  I've only seen them recently.  Some of the abuses were quite well documented and even admitted by the TSA.  All I'm saying is my experiences in 2012 were not unpleasant, or at least no more so than pre 9/11.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »
You got lucky. Or maybe the security was private, wearing TSA ninja attire

4 separate airports, one overseas: Dulles (outbound international flight), Reagan-National, Heathrow (return to USA), and Orlando International.

None are exactly lightly traveled or low profile.  Orlando might have been private, but they wore TSA uniforms.  Obviously Heathrow was not TSA, but they operated in the same fashion.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 02:18:50 PM »
4 separate airports, one overseas: Dulles (outbound international flight), Reagan-National, Heathrow (return to USA), and Orlando International.

None are exactly lightly traveled or low profile.  Orlando might have been private, but they wore TSA uniforms.  Obviously Heathrow was not TSA, but they operated in the same fashion.

Chris

I dunno about those - but trying going through the basement (non- 1st class, medallion, platinum, etc) of LAX  =(

Or maybe it just doesn't bother you to be stripped of your possesions including money and id, and much of your clothes, and treated like a criminal  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 02:31:13 PM »
I dunno about those - but trying going through the basement (non- 1st class, medallion, platinum, etc) of LAX  =(

Or maybe it just doesn't bother you to be stripped of your possesions including money and id, and much of your clothes, and treated like a criminal  ???

I haven't flown through LAX since 1999, but I certainly didn't go through any special class of security at the airports above.  Just went through with the rest of the herd.  I removed my shoes and belt (except for the return via Orlando, forgot to remove my belt and it didn't alarm) and put my watch, keys, etc into my carry-on to ride through the scanner (easier to grab the one bag than to scoop up a bunch of loose stuff).  I was through the metal detector before my stuff came through.  For my 4 flights this year, only the shoe removal was different than my pre-9/11 experiences (as far as process is concerned, the list of contraband is longer obviously).

Maybe I don't look or act suspicious enough for the special attention.  On the trip to/from the UK, I was even carrying a book about guns. ;)

Chris

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 04:34:42 PM »

Chris

Those are all TSA-staffed airports.

The only major airport that I know about that isn't staffed by TSA is SFO. They are CSA, but they look nearly identical to the TSA tards.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 05:16:15 PM »
I haven't flown through LAX since 1999, but I certainly didn't go through any special class of security at the airports above.  Just went through with the rest of the herd.

The "herd" (unless you are special) goes through 1/4 mile long underground tunnel with fat black TSA goons screaming at you the whole time.  :(

It's gotten a lot worse since the nude-o-scope is near universal.  As a guy, I really don't care all that much about my body being seen by some pervert in a closet, but you have to take off more stuff than with the metal detectors. 

I guess a man in a suit can wear a standard necktie, but I can't wear a bandana in lieu of as I normally do.  That, and you are supposed to give up your cash, IDs, credit cards - everything except shirt/socks/pants - to go through the scanner.

It would only take one set of sticky fingers and you would lose identity and wherewithal in some remote city.

Maybe the problem is that I'm older and remember an America that was mostly sorta free, and you only saw that kind of stuff in old WW2 movies about Nazi Germany.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 05:21:08 PM »
It would only take one set of sticky fingers and you would lose identity and wherewithal in some remote city.

This.

It's about control and surrender of it.

How does my money, id, credit cards and all have anything to do with aircraft security, that my underwear and socks doesn't?  If I can hide nasty things in my billfold on my person, then I can hide nasty things in my socks or briefs.

The surrendering of money and such is to trap you if you choose to decline the security screening mid-way through.  It's power and control.  Not security.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »
For security's sake (ACTUAL security, as opposed to Team Sexual Assault's "security theater"), if you must fly, lock your wallet, cash, etc. in a readily-accessible outside pocket of your carryon before going through security. Don't use a TSA-approved lock for this, it's not required except for checked baggage, and it'll keep sticky-fingered screeners and others out of your bag until you're standing right there and can watch them "screen" your bag. Keep your ID with you as long as you must, then tuck it in your carryon before it goes on the X-Ray machine. Since a fair number of people get groped even if they've gone through the Nude-O-Scope, I don't see the point in submitting to that myself - tell 'em to just call for a groper right away.

Be polite, but be assertive - make sure your stuff stays where you can see it at all times when getting groped (or going through the scanner, for that matter) - Team Sexual Assault is *SUPPOSED* to ensure that happens, but you may need to remind them. Call for a supervisor, if required.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 11:28:50 AM »
Assuming your entire bag doesn't just disappear ...  =|

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
Last time I flew a few years ago, I almost got pulled aside.  I went through the metal detector and completely forgot about the cell phone holder clipped to my belt with the magnetic clasp.  I think the TSA guy had gotten a little tense there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 05:04:24 PM »
The last time the TSA started doing outrageous stuff, I recall hearing a radio guy or two speculate that they were testing the waters to see what they could get away with or just deliberately making headlines to distract people from something else.  It was pointed out that the cases were only at a few airports and didn't affect 99.9% of travelers.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge