Author Topic: Who's dumber, the voters or those they elect?  (Read 1579 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Who's dumber, the voters or those they elect?
« on: January 10, 2014, 08:21:25 PM »
Chicago Alderman Medrano is going back to jail. 
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/chicago_news&id=9388916

He was one of the ones busted in Operation Silver Shovel did 2+ years in the federal pokey back in the 90's.  Got out, got himself re-elected and got busted again.   10.5 years this time.   Do go read the link.  The I'm not sure whether it's stupidity or audacity.   But he obviously didn't learn anything from his first time, nor did he pick up new skills while in the clink.   Becuase got caught again.   Not just again; but again, again.

See, he gets sentenced on Monday for a another bribe/kickback deal.   So twice as stupid.

Just whether it's the voters or Medrano I can't figure out.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Who's dumber, the voters or those they elect?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 09:38:16 PM »
the answer is "yes"
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:05:44 PM »
For a good look (in my opinion) at Chicago style politics, Netflix "Boss" with Kelsey Grammer. An awesome series which was cancelled when it really started to get real.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 12:35:52 PM »
For a good look (in my opinion) at Chicago style politics, Netflix "Boss" with Kelsey Grammer. An awesome series which was cancelled when it really started to get real.

I agree with your opinion on the accuracy of "Boss" with regard to Chicago politics.  Grammer did a bang up job as its main protagonist.
SWMBO and I really miss that series.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 01:34:21 PM »
Chicago is a world of its own, especially when it come to politics.
We live about 3 hours away from that cesspool.
My daughter finished college and always wanted to live in Chicago. She took a teaching job in the Chicago public school system on the near west side. A job that should have included combat pay btw. The first time she went to vote in a primary, a small town girl with no fear or insecurities, she was handed a democrat ballot. She asked for a republican ballot. The election clerk laughed out loud and asked the whole room, "do we even HAVE a republican ballot?"
Much laughter and ridicule at her expense. She said she would never vote in Chicago again. She moved after 3 years.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 10:22:01 AM »
Chicago is a world of its own, especially when it come to politics.

Pretty much every large communist controlled city is like chicago, its just that the politicians in chicago are more blatant and open about their corruption and disregard for the law.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »
In Chicago, the crooks often run unopposed with elections decided by party bosses not voters. Agreed Chicago is more blatant about it. Everybody knows it's the Chicago way. Our current potus and part of his cabinet are products right out of that machine.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 10:54:34 AM »
In Chicago, the crooks often run unopposed with elections decided by party bosses not voters. Agreed Chicago is more blatant about it. Everybody knows it's the Chicago way. Our current potus and part of his cabinet are products right out of that machine.

And nobody saw that coming ...    :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 02:46:55 PM »
"I am so sorry I acted foolishly, without thinking of the consequences," said Medrano. "I wish I could go back in time to correct my wrongs, but that is impossible. I apologize to all my friends that I disappointed, I apologize to my community and I apologize to my wife and children and the rest of my family," said Medrano.

Running this scam with a County Commissioner should have either protected him or told him he was going to be the scapegoat if things went pear-shaped.  My question is: who felt they were not getting their "fair share" (to coin a phrase)?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 04:01:50 PM »
Mike Royko said that Chicago's motto isn't Urbs in Horto but Ubi est mea.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.