Author Topic: The last true hermit  (Read 1307 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The last true hermit
« on: August 20, 2014, 03:23:24 PM »
http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201409/the-last-true-hermit

A very interesting read of a man who disappeared into the woods for almost 30 years.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: The last true hermit
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:06:51 PM »
We need to invite him to APS.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:11:03 PM »
Thanks for posting. Really interesting. I'm not big on the thieving, but I gotta give the guy props for making it through that many Maine Winters. I found it fascinating (if the writer was accurately reporting) how his speech pattern after all that "alone" time did in fact resemble the kind of books he seemed to prefer reading.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:35:27 PM »
I just want to know how he managed to still be using the same pair of glasses all those years.
jeff w

I like onions!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: The last true hermit
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:48:58 PM »
I just want to know how he managed to still be using the same pair of glasses all those years.

Well, per the article, he did need a new prescription. (As in, couldn't see past his outstretched arms needed a new prescription.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 12:39:29 AM »
We need to invite him to APS.
 =D

I thought that was Tallpine.
Formerly sumpnz

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:05:52 AM »

I obviously have no problem with someone going hermit. But he basically became a career criminal, making his living off stealing from people. Admittedly, a tough criminal to survive Maine winters in a tent, but still a scumbag.

He deserves a lengthy sentence for the sheer number of his crimes.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »
Hmmm if in fact he's got aspergers as he seems to I treat it all as one long instance of him gone off the rails. Tuff to get help if family doesn't help you and in his case I think he was screwed. I'd probably not give him time. He'd get a conviction and monitoring along with some help with the mental health issue. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 09:47:55 AM »
He ended up getting seven months, which in consideration of the time he spent in jail waiting for trial, turned out to be only a few additional weeks in jail.  He is now living with his mother and is barred from living in the woods again.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 11:08:06 AM »
I thought that was Tallpine.

Actually, given a few different decisions along the way, I could have been this guy  =|

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:10:27 AM »
Me too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 01:10:36 PM »
I'm still tempted to be this guy.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 03:13:25 PM »
Actually, given a few different decisions along the way, I could have been this guy  =|

Or Claude Dallas  =(  I never heard of him until years later (late 1990s) but even back in the 1970s I could see that game laws would be a big obstacle to "living off the land."  So I ended up logging instead.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 03:49:40 PM »
He is now living with his mother and is barred from living in the woods again.

So, he's required to die immediately upon entering a forested area?

OTOH, desert or mountain hermit is still a career option. 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »
How's that "Mars One" contest going? Have they picked an astronaut for it yet?
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 07:09:04 AM »
Now talk about hermitage, there's this guy who lives in an abandoned airfield.  Perhaps not a true "hermit" in terms of this thread, but better in terms of "man caves."

Pointing to some ammunition laid out on a homemade table, Mr Zdarsky said: 'That’s what our guys are using in Afghanistan. It’s very effective against badgers. And probably terrorists too.'

He wears camouflage clothing despite being the only resident of Lucin and within miles.

"Because they don’t get dirty. Plus, the badgers don’t see it.' he explains.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2123200/The-ultimate-man-cave-Stunning-aircraft-hangar-middle-Utah-desert-plane-designer-lives-plane--guns.html#ixzz3BDFfCTWZ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

"It was a pretty good deal because nobody wanted to live here." he told the Times.

"Submitted for your consideration," as Rod Serling would put it.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:30:19 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 12:50:48 PM »
Now talk about hermitage, there's this guy who lives in an abandoned airfield.  Perhaps not a true "hermit" in terms of this thread, but better in terms of "man caves."

I read about him several months ago. Interesting story. I wish I could afford something like that.

I even found his home and air strip on Google Maps, but it wasn't easy. He's not at the epicenter of downtown Lucin.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 01:21:57 PM »

I even found his home and air strip on Google Maps, but it wasn't easy. He's not at the epicenter of downtown Lucin.

It took me...like...seconds? ???
Search for Lucin,UT and switch to satellite.Pull back and look for the airstrip.Bingo!

jeff w

I like onions!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 01:46:56 PM »
The last true hermit

How do they know?

bob