Author Topic: The non-koran-burning.  (Read 15558 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The non-koran-burning.
« on: September 09, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
I guess no one has brought this up because it would be pretty much like all the Phred Phelps threads that have been done to death. Especially since Terry Jones admits to taking part in a "demonstration" with the WBC.  But now it becomes interesting.

He called off the stunt today, claiming that he struck a deal with Abdel Rauf (the Manhattan Mosque Mullah).  But Rauf denies making any such deal.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/pastor-terry-jones-calls-off-koran-burning-ground-zero-mosque/story?id=11594495

What is going on down there?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: The non-koran-burning.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:04:58 PM »
Easy. Someone who's nutty, but less nutty than the WBC people, is getting their 15 minutes of fame. It falls right into the lefts hands, since Islam is the new Opressed class, they can use this as yet another reason why Islam is oppressed and Obama must save them.  I'd bet dollars to dounts that if he had burned the Koran, he'd have been charged with a hate crime by the DOJ.

Post is certain to go political, IMHO, so I'm moving it over to politics.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:09:03 PM »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:09:38 PM »
He should have made a pile of Korans, soaked it in water, and then called down fire from heaven  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 06:11:33 PM »
Easy. Someone who's nutty, but less nutty than the WBC people, is getting their 15 minutes of fame. It falls right into the lefts hands, since Islam is the new Opressed class, they can use this as yet another reason why Islam is oppressed and Obama must save them.  I'd bet dollars to dounts that if he had burned the Koran, he'd have been charged with a hate crime by the DOJ.

Post is certain to go political, IMHO, so I'm moving it over to politics.

But this story has gotten really weird in the last hour or two.  Did you read the news story?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:34:40 PM »
Yeah.  Its weird. Really weird.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 06:42:06 PM »
Either the FL preacher is lying, or the NY imam is lying.

I don't know anything about the preacher.  What I do know of the imam leads me to believe that he might have struck a deal and then denied it.  Recall that the imam agreed to meet with NY Gov Patterson about moving the mosque, then backed out of the meeting.

Did anyone catch the story about the imam threatening bad things if we don't allow the mosque to go up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 06:48:46 PM »
He should have made a pile of Korans, soaked it in water gasoline, and then called down fire from heaven with a zippo  ;)

FTFY.

The entire muslim world is itching to go to fisticuffs with us.

Does Fistful care if they burn a copy of the New Testament?  Do the folks in Salt Lake City care if someone burns a Book of Mormon?  Do Buddhists go nuts if someone burns the Lotus Sutra?

I just threw away a duplicate copy of the Baghavad Gita last month.  Should I look out for radical Hindis?

The longer we wait and let Iran develop nuclear weapons (or Syria, or Pakistan transfers power to the radicals, or whatever), the worse the situation will be than if we HIT THEM NOW.

So.  Burn the stupid books.  It's just paper.  Let them retaliate.  Then have at it.

All this posturing is a waste of lives in A-stan and Iraq as we pretend to make nice.  They don't want to make nice.  They're letting us know, by the terroristic threats they're making IF WE BURN A STUPID BOOK.

The sooner we start the real war, the better.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 06:58:03 PM »
Either the FL preacher is lying, or the NY imam is lying.

Or the FL preacher is just nuts.  However, an FL Imam arranged the meeting.  I would assume he was there.  Are they both lying then?  If so, why admit it immediately, instead of waiting at least until 12 Sept?

It make no sense.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 07:03:08 PM »
Or the FL preacher is just nuts.  However, an FL Imam arranged the meeting.  I would assume he was there.  Are they both lying then?  If so, why admit it immediately, instead of waiting at least until 12 Sept?

It make no sense.
Sure it does. NY Imam agrees, "sure, we'll move our mosque elsewhere." "Then I won't burn the books." "Deal." "Deal."
A few minutes later:
"April Fools, infidel!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 07:20:41 PM »
Then he would have waited until tomorrow, at least, and been unavailable for comment until Sunday.

Unless he just wants to make the guy look like an idiot, which I guess is pretty plausible.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 07:36:48 PM »

generalize much?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »

generalize much?

That's what Obama, the State department, the FBI, General Patreus, the New York Times, and Al Jazeera are telling us.  It was 3/4 of the total Drudge headlines prior to the guy crying off.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 07:59:53 PM »
That's what Obama, the State department, the FBI, General Patreus, the New York Times, and Al Jazeera are telling us. 

And outside of Gen. Petreaus, which one of these entities is known for its truthfulness?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 08:05:49 PM »
Obama tells us the truth; he's a new and different kind of politician.   :angel:

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 08:08:46 PM »
Obama tells us the truth; he's a new and different kind of politician.   :angel:

Muslims love me, yes I know:  Because Obama tells me so!   :angel:
--Lysander Spooner

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 08:40:15 PM »
I think the gentleman (as polite a phrase as I can think of at the moment) inadvertently got his weenie caught in his zipper and is desperately looking for relief.  Claiming the Imam agreed to talk is his way of reducing pain.  I don't think he had the slightest clue his media stunt would cause the outrage that is evidently planned.  It is one thing to get the media lathered up.  Quite another thing to get people killed. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 09:06:45 PM »
Or the FL preacher is just nuts. 

That right there.  Saw this on Freerepublic: Dove Church Academy Rulebook.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 09:20:52 PM »
I'm glad the preacher stopped this farce...esp. since this isn't the way Christ handled non-Christian/non-Jewish people (read the story of the Centurion's daughter....most centurions were Roman).....

A better venue would have been to host an open forum on the differences b/t Islam and Christianity....and why Christ's message is superior....

(...which I would expect a Christian church to advocate...save your flames...)

Now....I wonder if the Imam will hold up to his end of the bargain....and if the preacher is still alive in six months....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 10:13:02 PM »
I think the gentleman (as polite a phrase as I can think of at the moment) inadvertently got his weenie caught in his zipper and is desperately looking for relief.  Claiming the Imam agreed to talk is his way of reducing pain.  I don't think he had the slightest clue his media stunt would cause the outrage that is evidently planned.  It is one thing to get the media lathered up.  Quite another thing to get people killed. 

Oh, definitely.

Now....I wonder if the Imam will hold up to his end of the bargain....and if the preacher is still alive in six months....

I wouldn't hold my breath on this goon from Florida solving the whole GZ Mosque situation.  Though stranger things have happened.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 10:20:07 PM »

It is not the FL Westboro wanna-be who would be getting people killed, it would be Muslim savages.

At this point, he ought to go through with it.  I'm getting tired of pussy-footing around with barbarians.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 10:21:26 PM »
Dove Church Academy Rulebook.

:facepalm:  Some of the kookier religious wing-nuts are opposed to the internet.  Just imagine some of the bizarre doctrine that is NOT available online.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 10:31:17 PM »

:facepalm:  Some of the kookier religious wing-nuts are opposed to the internet.  Just imagine some of the bizarre doctrine that is NOT available online.

Heard on an MSM station that daughter of said wing-nut stated that he is running a cult.  Also, MSM station stated that he had been kicked out of his last church in Germany for some financial issues (i.e. missing money.)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 10:36:50 PM »
Heard on an MSM station that daughter of said wing-nut stated that he is running a cult.  Also, MSM station stated that he had been kicked out of his last church in Germany for some financial issues (i.e. missing money.)

Definitely a cult.

Those rules sound a bit like the EOC back in the late seventies  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 11:01:27 PM »
You could read the rules?  Apparently they believe spell checker is the work of the devil  :facepalm:
The grammar police would have a field day with this group... :police: