Author Topic: Southgate cop assaults woman, destroys phone.  (Read 18192 times)

Phyphor

• friend
Southgate cop assaults woman, destroys phone.
« on: April 21, 2015, 12:12:25 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-J-6SkuKJ0

I know that this sort of crap happened before the age of the cellphone camera, and it's only more readily apparent now, but it still does seem like this happens an awful lot.

Hope this ahole winds up in the unemployment line.  The only power he deserves is the power to say "Would you like fries with that?"

Then again, I don't think I'd trust this prick with my food.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

HankB

• friend
Re: Southgate cop assaults woman, destroys phone.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 12:21:03 PM »
Best comment on Youtube:  "I like how the two good cops who witnessed the attack jumped in and arrested the bad cop. Oh wait, that didn't happen."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 12:38:42 PM »
It wasn't like it was a sustained assault or something.  It was done and over in 3 seconds.  Yes, the guy should be punished.  Not sure how much.  He was acting like a jack booted thug, but I don't know if I would class it as assault. 

Do you consider that assault and battery?  Looked like he just grabbed her phone and slammed it on the ground.  It was not acceptable what he did.  I guess the question would be if a person did that to a stranger on the sidewalk, would they be charged with assault or just destruction of property?  The phone is worth a few hundred?  

I am glad it was caught on video.  I thought the lady was too close at first, but she appeared to be backing off when asked to.  I wouldn't call it assault, but it was bad. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 12:49:24 PM »
I really don't understand some of these officer's dislike or fear of being on video.  I can understand a concern about edited videos being made, but as long as people are keeping back an appropriate distance it shouldn't be an issue.

I guess another thought is I don't understand some people's need to be 2 feet away to take video.  The video of that shooting in SC was at a distance and caught everything just fine. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 12:59:50 PM »
Cops being videoed, if you have nothing to hide, what the deal.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 01:12:24 PM »
I guess the question would be if a person did that to a stranger on the sidewalk cop, would they be charged with assault or just destruction of property?  The phone is worth a few hundred?  

Fify
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 01:14:14 PM »
How much do you have to touch a cop to get charged with "assaulting a police officer"?  (lately is seems like bruising his fist with your face is enough)

I think assault *and* destruction of property works.  And maybe tampering evidence.  And witness intimidation.

ETA: or how about armed robbery?
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 01:19:43 PM »
. . . I think assault *and* destruction of property works.  And maybe tampering evidence.  And witness intimidation.
Some phones are pretty expensive - at what $$ amount does property destruction move from a misdemeanor to a felony?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

wmenorr67

• friend
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 01:43:42 PM »
Well that makes it right then.
Raylan got away with worse.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »
It wasn't like it was a sustained assault or something.  It was done and over in 3 seconds.  Yes, the guy should be punished.  Not sure how much.  He was acting like a jack booted thug, but I don't know if I would class it as assault.

Considering that simply using harsh words can be considered assault, what would you classify this as, if not assault? Of course it was assault -- he touched her violently without her permission, for no valid, lawful reason. The destruction of her personal property is a separate offense.

And then there's deprivation of rights under color of law. That's a federal offense.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 02:48:44 PM »
Considering that simply using harsh words can be considered assault, what would you classify this as, if not assault? Of course it was assault -- he touched her violently without her permission, for no valid, lawful reason. The destruction of her personal property is a separate offense.

And then there's deprivation of rights under color of law. That's a federal offense.

This.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 03:05:05 PM »
A non-subsidized iPhone 6 16GB is  ~$649
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 03:08:48 PM »
Do you consider that assault and battery?  Looked like he just grabbed her phone and slammed it on the ground.  It was not acceptable what he did.  I guess the question would be if a person did that to a stranger on the sidewalk, would they be charged with assault or just destruction of property?  The phone is worth a few hundred?

Walk up to someone with a gun in your hand and take their property from them.  Pretty sure you'll be charged with aggravated robbery.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »
Walk up to someone with a gun in your hand and take their property from them.  Pretty sure you'll be charged with aggravated robbery.
He didn't take it.  I thought he threw it on the ground.  Did he keep it?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 03:48:56 PM »

It depends on what set of definitions we are using.  I do recall hearing that Assault is a verbal threat and Battery is physical contact.  I don't know if either those apply.  
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 04:11:53 PM by MechAg94 »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 03:52:21 PM »
He didn't take it. I thought he threw it on the ground.  Did he keep it?

I'm not sure that that matters.  How is it different whether he takes it and keeps it, or takes it and immediately destroys it?

All this is probably just academic though.  He'll just get some administrative slap-on-the-wrist punishment and no criminal charges filed.  (And the punishment won't really be for attacking the woman, it'll be for being stupid enough to get caught on a second camera)
"It's good, though..."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 04:01:29 PM »
Cops being videoed, if you have nothing to hide, what the deal.

I haven't been able to find stats for the US, but I read several years ago that the average London commuter was photographed and videotaped 300 times a day. I think cops can tolerate being caught on video once in awhile just like the rest of us, without going off on someone. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »
I'm not sure that that matters.  How is it different whether he takes it and keeps it, or takes it and immediately destroys it?

All this is probably just academic though.  He'll just get some administrative slap-on-the-wrist punishment and no criminal charges filed.  (And the punishment won't really be for attacking the woman, it'll be for being stupid enough to get caught on a second camera)
Ask the lawyers that I guess.  I just don't know if what I saw warrants criminal charges versus just compensation and punishment.  If you want to imagine what you could get away with if your intent was to totally screw over the officer, then I guess go for attempted murder also since he was armed.   =D

If this happened between two private citizens, I have doubts the cops would even arrest the guy unless there was more to it.  

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 04:10:20 PM »
I guess the question would be if a person did that to a stranger on the sidewalk cop, would they be charged with assault or just destruction of property?  The phone is worth a few hundred? 

Fify
The standard I always see y'all use is that police officers should be treated just like everyone else.  No special priviledges so then no special punishments either. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »
The standard I always see y'all use is that police officers should be treated just like everyone else.  No special priviledges so then no special punishments either.  

Absolutely, no special punishments. And no special exceptions.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/a/assault/

Second degree assault may involve intentional or reckless serious physical injury to another person, or physical injury to any person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument. It may involve interfering with a police officer, emergency responder, or teacher, while performing their duties. When the injury suffered is less serious, it may be classified as assault of a lesser degree, such as "simple asault".

The following is an example of a state statute governing simple assault:
" Simple assault. A person is guilty of assault if s/he:

Attempts to cause or purposely, knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to another; or
    Negligently causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon; or
    Attempts by physical menace to put another in fear of imminent serious bodily injury.

Simple assault is a disorderly persons offense unless committed in a fight or scuffle entered into by mutual consent, in which case it is a petty disorderly persons offense."

http://definitions.uslegal.com/a/assault-and-battery/

An assault is any unlawful attempt or offer with force or violence to do bodily harm to another, whether from ill will or extreme carelessness; for example, by striking at or holding up the fist at a person in a threatening or insulting manner, or with other circumstances that evidence an intention, coupled with a present ability, of actual violence against the person, such as by pointing a weapon at him when he is within reach of it. When the injury is actually inflicted, it amounts to a battery.

Assault and battery is the combination of the crimes of threat (assault) and actual beating (battery).
An assault is:

An unlawful attempt, coupled with apparent ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another; or
    An intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.

A battery is any:

Willful and unlawful use of force or violence upon the person of another; or
    Actual, intentional and unlawful touching or striking of another person against the will of the other;
or ...

Based on these definitions, it seems to me that Marshal Stockburn committed both assault and battery.

And then there's the theft of the woman's cell phone. Depending on the value of the phone, that's either a misdemeanor or a felony offense.

And then there's the deprivation of civil rights under color of law (18 USC 242 and 42 USC 1983)

Nope, I don't think Marshal Stockburn should receive any special punishments. I do think he should be charged and tried for each offense he actually committed. The standard penalties should be enough to ensure that he can never again (legally) wear a badge.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 04:42:05 PM »
Absolutely, no special punishments. And no special exceptions.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/a/assault/

http://definitions.uslegal.com/a/assault-and-battery/

Based on these definitions, it seems to me that Marshal Stockburn committed both assault and battery.

And then there's the theft of the woman's cell phone. Depending on the value of the phone, that's either a misdemeanor or a felony offense.

And then there's the deprivation of civil rights under color of law (18 USC 242 and 42 USC 1983)

Nope, I don't think Marshal Stockburn should receive any special punishments. I do think he should be charged and tried for each offense he actually committed. The standard penalties should be enough to ensure that he can never again (legally) wear a badge.

Sure would help with that rift healing thing.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »
More to the point, I don't know California's wording, but in Texas, theft is defined as depriving the person of the property.  Taking and smashing it would qualify, and since he was clearly armed and threatening at the time that he took it from her hand, it would be robbery at least.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 04:49:29 PM »

211.  Robbery is the felonious taking of personal property in the
possession of another, from his person or immediate presence, and
against his will, accomplished by means of force or fear.

The video makes it pretty clear that the phone was taken by force.  Robbery is a felony in California regardless of the value of the property.