Author Topic: The new Battlestar Galactica worth watching?  (Read 5212 times)

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
The new Battlestar Galactica worth watching?
« on: October 23, 2005, 07:26:47 PM »
is it worth watching?

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 07:43:09 PM »
Oh yes, but you MUST start with the miniseries, or else you won't know whats going on
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

spinr

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 08:06:26 PM »
I agree...

It's one of the best shows out there right now.

As Phyphor said, watch the miniseries first.  It was originally two, 2-hour episodes.  I think they're included on the first season DVD set if you are interested in it.

One thing though, if you are a fan of the original BSG, don't let yourself get too hung up on comparisons between old and new.  Some folks get really worked up over the differences, putting the new series off completely because of them, and lose sight of what a great show the new BSG really is.

Wink

Seymour Skinner

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 12:46:37 AM »
One thing though, if you are a fan of the original BSG, don't let yourself get too hung up on comparisons between old and new.
Boy that's the understatement of the millenia.  DEFINITELY DO NOT compare the two or it will become immediately apparent that the "new BG" is just another sci fi clone of everything else that has been cranked out in the last decade.  I would have given the show a chance if it's owners had not flat out hijacked and stolen the good name of the original.  It is shameless and low class to the max to do this.  It's what's called "promotion in bad faith" because they know the show probably wouldn't survive on just it's OWN merits without that subtle mental connection to something they ALREADY KNOW is well liked.

In the last decade or so, sci fi productions especially have suffered from a disease of our culture: the need for constant and uninterrupted arousal and immediate gratification.  What used to be called skillful writing and direction has been replace by producers who are scared to death of any "dry or slow spots" in movies and tv (they're catering to those who have a short attention span and low intelligence).  Basically, in order to keep you from changing the channel, they now ONLY produce programs (CSI is a great example of this) that are nothing but emotional high points mixed with other shocking scenes from beginning to end.  

Shows now are feasts for short term emotions and no longer offer much for the brain.  Bona fide character development has been thrown right out the window.

As a side note, I got a chuckle out of the (very predictable) tactic of making formerly male characters into women.  It's as if the FCC has passed a regulation that 90% of lead characters in HAVE to be female.  When Star Trek writers pulled this politically motivated gimmick it was barely tolerable.  "Captain Janeway" was an interesting character, but it was annoyingly transparent that she was only there because it was "a woman's turn to be captain."  I used to laugh hysterically at how nearly episode had some sort of mutiny against her.      In the same vein, when I watched the "new BG" for the first time, and saw the female "Starbuck," I thought "Oh brother how original" and resisted changing the channel for maybe another minute or two.

People have been documenting all over the place how remakes are "in" now.  This "new BG" is just another new sci fi with a hijacked name.  They'll wring a few seasons out of it, make their investment back, and then go on to the next project.  Shows like this make me glad I take money other people would spend enriching the cable companies, and give it to various gunmakers.  The world of make believe is sometimes entertaining (less and less so though) but I think reality is actually more fun.  Without the NFL, my tv would not even need to be plugged in Smiley.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 04:37:05 AM »
Well - it is if you like soap operas based on a 12 tribes of Israel with a lost tribe theme only the tribes believe that the greek pantheon of gods is real and to top it off they're being chased by sentient machines that want to kick their ass and who have the audacity to be monotheistic.

As sci-fi it leaves much to be desired. As nonsense it is pure gold.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 05:05:20 AM »
One thing though, if you are a fan of the original BSG, don't let yourself get too hung up on comparisons between old and new.  Some folks get really worked up over the differences, putting the new series off completely because of them, and lose sight of what a great show the new BSG really is.
Too true.  One of my buds refuses to watch the BG simply because in the current version, Starbuck is a woman.  Starbuck is still a hotshot, likes to party and chase the other gender, but the simple fact that the character is now a woman turns him off.

I was not too impresses by the mini-series, mostly due to sloppy editing and continuity issues.  However, after watching the past two seasons, and how the writers have chosen to address complex issues (human-machine relationships, what truely makes a "Human", can a non-organic intelligence have a soul?) I rank it as one of the best SciFi type series on the air at the moment.  Baltar's reaction to the condition of the Cylon prisoner on the Pegasus in the 2nd season finale is very moving, as was the sequence with Sharon, the Chief and Helo that lead up the the season cliff-hanger.

It is NOT a kids safe program, unlike the original BG.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 05:59:59 PM »
The new BSG is superb.  It's dark, and moody, and dramatic.  I love it.  It's one of the best shows currently in production.

As others have said, see the miniseries first, and pray that you don't have any attachment to the original '70s series.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 07:35:12 PM »
Eh.

It's no Firefly

*duckin'n'runnin'*
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Seymour Skinner

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 08:17:14 PM »
It is NOT a kids safe program, unlike the original BG.
This doesn't surprise me, since I know how current writers and producers fill programs with sex/relationships in ways marketed to females, to cover for no real plot and bad writing.   In this case, what do you mean it's not "kid's safe?"  My suspicions are getting more confirmed that this "new" abomination is, in many ways, essentially like everything else on television.

Deep space nine was torture to watch because of these same problems I've mentioned.  It was 90% dialog and relationships, and you not only didn't care about the characters, they became irritating.  Compare all of this current bad television to good, strong, well developed characters like Picard and Riker.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 09:55:57 PM »
Have you, umm, ever watched the new BSG show, Masterpiece?  Or are you relying upon your mystical prescient abilities to conclude that the show is an "abomination"?

No, it's no Firefly.  Nor is it Farscape, either.  But it's close.  Beats the pants off everything else on TV these days.

Watch the miniseries and the first few episodes.  Form your own opinion.  But I bet you'll like it.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 04:04:47 AM »
SPOILER ALERT!!!

In this case, what do you mean it's not "kid's safe?"
2nd season closer, Galactica encounters the Pegasus (another Battlestar).  The Pegasus also has a Cylon prisoner.  A female one.  Some of the Pegasus crew have "had some fun" with the prisoner, and decide to have the same sort of fun with Galactica's female Cylon prisoner Sharon aka Boomer, who has "defected" to aiding the humans and carries Helo's love child.  The scene is not an easy one to watch, even though the rape was never finalized since Helo and the Chief (both of whom are/have been involved with a Sharon) learned of the evil deed and intervened, killing the instigator in the process.

Deep space nine was torture to watch because of these same problems I've mentioned.  It was 90% dialog and relationships, and you not only didn't care about the characters, they became irritating.  Compare all of this current bad television to good, strong, well developed characters like Picard and Riker.
Picard?  Riker?  Strong and well developed when compared to Sisco or Odo?  

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  Dude, put down the bong, you've had more than enough for today Wink

DS9 was much more enjoyable to watch since it was not all action and technobabble to solve the days problem.  Things did not wrap up nice and neat in 48 minutes every episode.  Some episodes were self contained pieces that could stand on their own, but many many of the latter years were set against the Dominion War, or sub-arcs related to that conflict.  It was the dialog and relationships about characters that one cares about that made it so involving.

Nor is it Farscape, either.  But it's close
Can I get a "Hell YEAH!"  Oh, and an order of Pizza with Margarita shooters. Cheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 05:41:52 AM »
Gotta agree with Sindawe.  DS9 Rawked and Next Gen was teh suck.  I've only seen the BG movie, but I want to get the series on DVD.

Chris

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 09:18:07 AM »
+1 to Sindawe DS9 was far superior to NG and that pansy Picard. Gotta add - and I know I'll get slammed for this - but I enjoyed Voyager the best of all the ST series.

Fight Me Online

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 09:35:43 AM »
but I enjoyed Voyager the best of all the ST series.
I enjoyed it as well.  It wasn't my favorite, but it was better than TNG.  

IMO, Enterprise had the most potential, but pissed it away with the silly time traveling story arc.

Chris

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 01:28:50 PM »
Thank god when Manny Coto got ahold of it, he clubbed that crap like a baby seal.  Pity he didn't last long, but at least he did write into canon just why Kirk's Klingons have smooth heads....
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Seymour Skinner

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 02:01:02 PM »
2nd season closer, Galactica encounters the Pegasus (another Battlestar).  The Pegasus also has a Cylon prisoner.  A female one.  Some of the Pegasus crew have "had some fun" with the prisoner, and decide to have the same sort of fun with Galactica's female Cylon prisoner Sharon aka Boomer, who has "defected" to aiding the humans and carries Helo's love child.  The scene is not an easy one to watch, even though the rape was never finalized since Helo and the Chief (both of whom are/have been involved with a Sharon) learned of the evil deed and intervened, killing the instigator in the process.
Sindawe, holy crap, from your description, I was dead smack on!  The "new BG" sounds like friggin' Melrose Place!!  What has happened to guys that they would find that chick stuff entertaining?  Even the cylons are female now?  ROFLM-GD-AO

DS9 was far superior to NG and that pansy Picard.
You didn't even develop that into an opinion, it's just name calling.  What did you just turn 15 today?  You throw out a proclamation and an opinion with absolutely zip to support it.  (Gotta love those government schools)

Have you, umm, ever watched the new BSG show, Masterpiece?
Have you, umm, ever read the preceeding posts of mine in this thread?

Picard?  Riker?  Strong and well developed when compared to Sisco or Odo?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  Dude, put down the bong, you've had more than enough for today
Again, a hollow statement of opinion is made with nothing to support it.
There must be something in the water these days removing people's ability to make a substantive argument either for or against something.  Personally, I believe it's just a general dumbing down that is going on.  

The new BSG is superb.  It's dark, and moody, and dramatic.  I love it.
That is a perfect description of 3 things: General Hospital, my sister in law, and Whitney Houston, but that doesn't mean it's worth watching Cheesy

It was the dialog and relationships about characters that one cares about that made it so involving.
I honestly never thought I would see that coming from a man.  Just put on a dress, lipstick, and pumps and make it official will ya (assuming you haven't already).  The original BG, like sports and other good male programs, revolve around a C-A-U-S-E, not complicated B.S. relationships, feelings, drama blah blah blah.  If I want to see that garbage, I'll go to Blockbuster and rent the Ya Ya Sisterhood, or Beaches, or something. Smiley  My aunt probably has a copy of the latter, would you like to borrow it?

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 03:36:38 PM »
Ahhhh.... It is Masterpiece. At first I didn't understand why all the condescending invective in the prior post. Now I do.  Been awhile since I had to deal with your BS since you're on my ignore list over at THR.

Wish they had one here...

Oh well I'll just have to pay closer attention to poster names before I waste any time reading a post.

Fight Me Online

Old Dog

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 03:48:38 PM »
I enjoy the new BSG and think it's well worth watching.  Of course, almost anything with Edward James Olmos is good ... And I also enjoyed all the Star Trek series ...
I can't believe acrimony developing over opinions of television shows (I mean, it's not like we're on the L&P forum at THR, folks) ...
-- Will

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 08:10:02 PM »
What has happened to guys that they would find that chick stuff entertaining?  Even the cylons are female now?  ROFLM-GD-AO
Well, what happend is that some of us guys are secure enough in our identity to admit that the "chick stuff" has as much merit and value as the cool Fx and fight scenes.  Fighting the Borg is moving and exciting, but then so is the scene on the Prominade when Odo FINALLY kisses Kira after how many years of both of them dancing around the subject?  If sweet words and cuddleing kittens gets me into Dr. Crusher's pants, well... it gets me into Dr. Crusher's pants. Cheesy
I honestly never thought I would see that coming from a man.  Just put on a dress, lipstick, and pumps and make it official will ya (assuming you haven't already).
Well, maybe you're just a nOObie new soul, but some of us have lived before this life, in the other gender. Or are you not man enough to admit you have emotions other than anger, conflict and arrogance? Wink
but I enjoyed Voyager the best of all the ST series.
No slam from me.  I enjoyed Voyager a lot (specially after they replaced that dull, soft spoken Kess with Seven of Nine; cute is sexy, smart is sexier), but still prefer DS9 as the best Trek to date.
Again, a hollow statement of opinion is made with nothing to support it.
Tell me, which episode did Pickard make a deal that ended up with several people killed, spread lies and falsehoods as truth, AND was forced to face the fact that he'd "Made a Deal with The Devil" that may have cast a perpetual shadow on his soul, but DID tip the balance toward the "Good Guys"?  At least Riker abandoned comfortable convention to fight the good fight, though it was Thomas and not William who did so, and we only saw such on DS9.

The characters on BG are complex, flawed and all too human, and do things what many of us could see ourselves doing in similar situations.  Complexity is more interesting than black and white.

Batman rules Superman.

Sisco rules Picard.

Riddick rules them all. Cheesy

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 01:21:41 PM »
BSG is the best sci fi on TV, or in the movies, today.  If you see it as run of the mill Soap Opera stuff, you reallo dont have an imagination at all.  IT is dark, gritty, and raw, but its good, damn good Sci fi, and the acting is first rate.  Good writing, even Glen A. Larson, the father of BSG, is a supervising producer.

As far as Star Trek;  TNG was good, DS9 took it to the next level.  More complex characters, better stories.  Not as stuffy as TNG.  Picard was good, stuffy, but good.

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 04:53:24 PM »
When do the new episodes in Season 2 of BSG start again?

Kharn

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 09:42:15 PM »
January.

Chris

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2005, 09:51:59 AM »
I like the small arms on BSG.  Nice to know that a 9mm can take out a Cylon.

atek3

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2005, 10:14:43 AM »
spoiler question alert
I like how a lot of the stuff in the show is retro for a good reason.  BSG's mainframes aren't linked to limit the damage from cylon virii.  They still use corded phones and manual switches.  But on the other hand, it's like the year 6, and they use 9mm pistols, WTF.

Also Tom Zarack is a total maoist... really.

WTF were they doing loading belted 20 mm rounds into a cylon fighter?

the main guns on the cylon heavy fighter rule.

why don't fighters obey newtonian physics?

Starbuck gets in a cylon fighter and makes it fly... oh please.

where the cylon centurions that boarded BSG special?  most would fall after two or so hits but these were practically bullet proof.

What was the deal when number 6 disappeared from baltar's head and came onto BSG to bear witness against him?  where'd she go?

if human form cylons are indistinguishable from normal humans via conventional methods, how the frack did that one break free of his metal cuffs during the interrogation with starbuck.

any predictions on what will happen during the opening minutes of episode 11?

When BSG encountered the pegasus, why didn't president roslin just declare adama to be fleet admiral adama, that way he could have given orders to admiral kain?

how does number six communicate with baltar if she isn't a chip in his head?

when will that drunk tigh get tossed out an airlock with that banshee wife of his?

what will the ship larger than the base-star be?

after wiping out the cylon fleet with the computer virus why didn't they salvage everything possible, then take all of the missle racks and gun pods and turn the civilian fleet into a flotilla of 'q-ships'?

is admiral kain a cylon?

will cylon sharon remain loyal to the humans or have another major betrayal?

atek3

atek3

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2005, 10:15:56 AM »
my favorite line was when they were fighting on kobol, "I ONLY SIGNED UP TO PAY FOR DENTAL SCHOOL!",  that was a funny line.

atek3