Author Topic: Does anyone else think the "bailout" is anything more than theft?  (Read 7662 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Does anyone else think the "bailout" is anything more than theft?
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 07:38:27 PM »
Obama's spending plan is theft, but no more so than any of the other wealth  redistribution schemes Washington has going.

Perhaps I should move money into a more stable currency?
I'm not sure there is such a thing.  We've got our problems here in the US, but I think most of the rest of the world would happily trade their problems for ours.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »

No, it's way more than 25,000 first class tickets when you consider fuel, maintenance and other ongoing costs for the plane.
I thought I stated that my numbers were  only for the purchase price of the jet?

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Beagle

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 08:27:38 PM »
That majority wants free stuff, and don't know or care about economics.

"A democracy...can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury" I think is how that goes...

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 08:26:06 AM »
Central banks have been pulling this crap for a few hundred years now.  Their playbook is the same.  What changes is players names and the speed at which the play is run.  The reason for the bailout is nothing less than institutional governmental corruption in which financial institutions play an enabling role.  Corruption is multiplied by blatant theft of literally galactic proportions.  Used to be units of measure like trillions and quintillions were seen only in astronomy.  It now is used to measure our currency.  "There's a bad moon on the rise".
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 08:37:11 AM »
Soooo... we're currently fighting deflation (presumably).  As I've opined before, this kind of spending can only be sustained in one of three possible ways.

1)  Higher taxes - Ruinously high.  The kind that drive people into the underground economy, (cash, off the books).

2)  A miraculous increase in tax revenue due to a booming economy.  When this happened during during the Reagan years, the .gov still managed to outspend the increase, thus INCREASING our debt.  Curiously, with Reps in power during the Clinton years, fiscal sanity was temporarily achieved.  Can this possibly occur with a full-tilt-and-boogie redistributionist in the WH and the same idealogy in control of both chambers of Congress?

3)  A repudiation of the debt by inflation or <gulp> hyperinflation.  A lot of very savvy people still buy dollar-denominated government securities, betting agains this scenario.  Of course, a lot of savvy people lent money to NINJAs(*) as well, sparking the housing bubble.

My views on this were formed by reading authors of the '70s lilke Gary North, Howard Ruff, and Murray Rothbard.  North was catastrophically wrong in his catastrophic predictions about y2k, so I am re-examining my long held views on 1, 2, and 3 above.  Anybody else got other options or other informed opinions?

(*) NINJA:  A person with No Income, No Job, no Assets.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.