Author Topic: Like fine wine...a music thread and confessional  (Read 4953 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Like fine wine...a music thread and confessional
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2005, 03:32:19 AM »
Oh one more thing, I met "Commander" Cody and a few Lost Planet Airman once. Including the guy that played the guitar riff for "Hotrod Lincoln". They were pretty cool. I was waiting for a friend who worked in the bar. After it closed I just sitting at the bar and everybody else was clamoring all over him. When they chased everyone out and he was free he walked over to the bar, sat down next to me and introduced himself, "Hi I'm George" and we yakked about crowds for a few and then it was time for me to leave.

The pearl of wisdom I got from him was it's always nice to have even just a 2" stage so when the drunks get in your face you can ignore them and stare over the top of their heads.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

crt360

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2005, 04:57:51 PM »
Yeah, I missed out, too.  But I did see pretty much every show that I could in the '80s.  I saw AC/DC, Aerosmith, Kiss, Van Halen probably 3 times each.  So many others I can't remember.  Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Nugent, Rush, Roger Waters, Pink Floyd,  Moody Blues, Cheap Trick, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Boston.  Hell, I even saw Journey.  I guess the most old school one was Jerry Lee Lewis.  I showed up too late to see Hendrix, but as a UT student I always managed to get down to Liberty Lunch to see Eric Johnson when he was back in town.  On a few occasions, after he finished his regular set and many people left, he would hang around for another hour or so and play for the serious fans (the hand-rolled non-tobacco smokes came out) and Eric would lay down some Hendrix like I never heard anyone else play.  I played a lot of guitar back then and this was one of the few things that really floored me.  Stevie Ray played great Hendrix, too, but it was always very bluesy and didn't drift into the fourth dimension like Hendrix and Johnson.

I always wished I had seen Led Zep live, too.  I saw Robert Plant and he was good, but it wasn't the same.

Fig, I always dug the Parliament/Funkadelic stuff and thought their shows must kick ass, with the Muthaship and all.  Did they even let white boys in?

I've seen a lot good smaller shows in little clubs here and there, but I haven't been to a big concert in years.  Like others mentioned, I don't think I can afford it anymore.  Besides, what can I see now for $50+ that's any better than seeing AC/DC's 1983-84 World Tour for $12 and remembering it, or having Paul Stanley hand you the neck off the guitar he just smashed?  

Thanks for jogging my memory.  Damn, life had some pretty cool moments back then.
For entertainment purposes only.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2005, 05:51:14 PM »
Well, you guys went and forced me to do it.

I dug out my CD of Hendrix at the L.A. Forum and played The Star-Spangled Banner at full tilt.

When we bought this little farm house, I had to leave behind my rack mounted stereo with Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatres (Studio model, 22 lb. tweeters) behind.  Now I am relegated to a Bose Lifestyle system.

I sure miss those babies.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2005, 01:42:19 AM »
All hail Altec Lansing!!

A buddy of mine bought some of those overseas (not sure which models) and we were amazed that our EARS would distort from the volume while the speakers were still clear as a bell.

I used to go to a little bar in the Phillipines where the guitar player actually played Jimi's version of the Star Spangled Banner complete with the rocket's red glare and bombs bursting in air. He also did a lot of Clapton. Great imitators they were there.

Old Dog

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2005, 01:31:22 PM »
280plus ... I'm suspecting that you and I may have hit some of the same concerts in San Diego (late '70s, early '80s?) and I guarantee you I've been to that little bar in Olongapo City and heard that same guitar player!
-- Will

280plus

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2005, 02:01:45 PM »
and I guarantee you I've been to that little bar in Olongapo City and heard that same guitar player!
GET OUT!!

All the way down the end of the strip (Magsaysay Blvd) on the right, second floor?

That was my favorite bar. I spent my first tour there a lot and I used to always request Clapton's "Have you ever loved a woman" every time I was there. When I went back TWO YEARS LATER them guys recognized me when I walked in the door and the went into that old tune just for me. I knew I was "home"  Cheesy

I used to request "Star Spangled Banner" too but after a while he stopped playing it. Political reasons I felt.

I was there 77 + 79. Left San Diego for good in 1980.

Small world, eh?