Author Topic: So I'm giving blood tommorow..  (Read 8002 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
So I'm giving blood tommorow..
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:23:47 PM »
I have an appointment and I canceled the last one and now I'm not sure I want to go to this one.

The thing is last month I fainted. That had not ever happened before and I felt humiliated.

I've tried to avoid thinking about it all day but now I'm outside a couple of beers and I can't stop worrying about it.

Any advice?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: So I'm giving blood tommorow..
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:31:56 PM »
Eat before you go.  A nice, hearty meal like beef and pasta with a refill of Sprite to go.  I've sold plasma and donated blood a few times, and the only time I ever went into shock and fainted was on an empty stomach.

Also, (and I hate to say this) avoid alcohol.

Bring a book to keep yourself occupied.

Don't squeeze the ball like a madman, trying to get it all overwith in a hurry.  Go slow and give yourself time to adjust.

When it's over, take your sweet time before standing up, and even then move like an old man with a hip problem.  This is no time to elevate your heart rate, and this includes caffeine and nicotine.

Most importantly (at least for me), don't watch.  Read your book starting the instant you get situated, follow the nurse's instructions, but do not watch. 
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:34:59 PM »
Agree with above to eat first. Also take a sweet snack and a protein snack with you for afterwards. Eat or drink the sweet first.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 09:37:29 PM »
I would advise against giving blood.

I donated a few weeks ago and in short, they forgot to unplug me.  There was a shift change and I was overlooked.  Due to the rapid fluid change I suffered some ill effects enough to knock me out of work for 3 days.  When calling their post donation medical help line there was no answer and their mailbox was filled.  When I did get through I was assured my extreme blood lose could in no way be connected to my blood donation.  Visiting a doctor afterward the common sense view of what occurred was reaffirmed and some ill words were spoken by the doctor about the blood donation 'racket'; the most relevant being that there is no real shortage, its well, a racket.  

PS: may be important, my donation troubles, NYC... things do seem less competent there...
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:46:03 PM »
Passed out the first time I gave blood, but in those days they used a sharp piece of bamboo!! I give with some regularity in recent years and just take my damned sweet time about getting up, eat & drink all the freebies I can get and leave when I'm ready, not before. (And I'm an ER nurse!) :O

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 10:06:28 PM »
Last time I fainted during the refreshments. Had I just passed out laying on the couch it would not have not been so bad.

So yeah, I'll load up more than I did last time,and no more alcohol tonight.

And counselor I appreciate your POV but I'll need some evidence if I'm going to consider it.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 10:12:24 PM »
Go for it man! At worst ya get a little power nap! Seriously, don't let it embarrass ya. It happens. They expect it from a number of people and think nothing worse of ya. In fact, if ya come back for more after having had that happen, they will admire you I grantee!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 10:35:48 PM »
Imagine for all you're worth that instead of the blood bank that it's a sperm bank, except they use the same needles and collect the same volume of material.

Then, when it's just blood, it won't seem so bad.
I promise not to duck.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 10:44:36 PM »
Erm.......thanks?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 11:04:42 PM »
Don't mention it.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 11:07:21 PM »
AJ, you're sick. ;)

Warren, another second (and third) for eating. I nearly passed out after being bled on an empty stomach.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 11:36:30 PM »
Most importantly (at least for me), don't watch.
I find it interesting to watch the little tube being coated with high-pressure arterial spray. Then it gets boring and stays red all the time. Then again, you might want to watch your blood flowing to make sure there's no particulate. Though if there's particulate flowing that is big enough to see, you're probably gonna be dead soon anyway.

Have fun!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 12:37:39 AM »
Until they ruled that med I take now prohibit me from ever donating again, I used to be a prolific donor.  Can you say gallons?

Eat a regular meal at least 2 hours before donating.  Add some extra fluids in the hour before, but no caffiene or sugar.  As already mentioned, take your time getting up and moving.  Avail yourself of the sugar snacks and juices they provide afterwards - you really ought to stay there slowly munching and sipping for at least 15 minutes before even thinking of getting up to walk around.  Take a "test" stroll before heading out the door - if you feel faint/weak/lightheaded report it and go sit down and drink more juice or sit with your head between your knees, whichever makes you feel best.

I'm always astounded at the stories of folks who get bled dry.  Every time I'v donated the equipment used a counterweight and cam that crimped the line after they had collected, more or less, the pint agreed on.  Maybe since I got kicked to the curb they changed the gear?

Anyhow, bottom line is that if you do feel less than tip-top after donating you should not return to work.  Have the donationsite contact your HR folks to arrange time off not chargable to your accumulated leave balances.  (Most employers support blood donation and will grant leave off the books for the time you take to donate or if you have a bad response afterwards - ask about it if you think there may be some question.)

and for Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas - they better be tapping your vein or have a real good reason for getting arterial spray.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 12:38:22 AM »
I've had two experiences when I passed out for physiological reasons, that makes the rest so much more fun. I cannot do a lab draw sitting. Maybe if it is only one tube. In fact don't feel so damn good typing this.

Way back when I got the no eat/drink lecture, showed up for a service academy entrance physical. 14 big ass vials later I was done. On the floor orange juice and cookies done. I'm pretty sure I was physically screwed up, I walked around for half the day seeing in black and white with no peripheral vision.  I think that was only the 2nd blood draw in my life, the first I was a little kid, they pulled a few units to shove back into me if the surgery went horribly wrong.

Fast forward, the hacks lose my medical record. Well, when you've been in the service 12 years it takes 16 vials of blood to recreate a medical record. One vial and I went casper white, they freaked, I said no, it's okay, just let me lay down. Nowadays they always have something to say about my cholesterol. Well, I rarely get vampired without eating anymore.

I do lab draws and start to feel crappy I just get up and lay down on the floor. I firmly believe in getting there while I can still negotiate with gravity.

I went to donate blood once, was not needed. Out to sea, walking blood bank. Poor dude took 21 units of blood to get him stabilized enough to fly off the ship, no idea how he lived. That's why I fall in love when I see old doddering surgeons who look on the cusp of senility. They just might save your ass after an F-14 wheel amputates one leg at the hip and the other at the ankle.  [barf]

Still mad about 9/11 and the blood donation racket. For weeks after it was all help out, give blood feel good BS. My bank was right across the street from the local Red Cross chapter. I remember every light on there late night on 9/11, people donating blood, me getting as much of my money out as possible. I was mad then. Anybody with half a brain that watched that knew we weren't going to need a mass blood drive. Yet the nooz was constantly dumbfounded as to why the hospitals weren't filling up with wounded. I'll be mad about a lot of that day forever.

Then again I know a fella from WWII that is still mad at the Red Cross, the back story is some important letter they never got to him. Apparently a lot of people disliked them, they sold coffee and sandwiches, the Salvation Army and USO relief stations were free.

There, a whole thread o' veer in one post. :D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 12:58:18 AM »
and for Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas - they better be tapping your vein or have a real good reason for getting arterial spray.
But veinal-spray doesn't sound as awesome. Since the blood vessel they stabbed was blue, I'm guessing it was a vein.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 01:52:49 AM »
Venous, not veinal....  :P

<--- Anatomy Police

I've given 33 units so far.  Also have donated via apheresis. Had a hiatus there where some medical issues precluded me from donating.   Have never passed out before.  I have seen people pass out during donations.  Usually it's the 90 lb girls who think eating is a naughty word.  But one time was this big old stereotypical trucker looking guy, probably weighed between 325-350.  First time donor.  When they finished up with him, he didn't take his time, instead jumped right up from the couch, and proceeded to immediately kiss the floor.  Broke his nose, too...  Dude bounced pretty good too.  I'd just finished and was over in the canteen so headed over to help the 100 lb nurse try to roll Mr. Trucker over to make sure he was breathing and all that good stuff...

So in short:  Eat a good meal about an hour or two before, have some OJ or something similar shortly before (maybe 15 mins) and drink some water just before your appointment.  Then TAKE YOUR TIME getting up and moving over to the canteen, then take your time over there too.

Do you normally have low blood pressure?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 01:58:16 AM »
No my BP is fine. The last time I went I was rushing around beforehand getting stuff done and probably forgot to prepare. There are times when I forget to eat, not that you would know that by looking at me.  Plus it was free pizza day so maybe I left myself some room. I just don't recall the day clearly.  Anyway I hope that's what happened.

I'd hate to think I've gotten older or something.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 04:00:38 AM »
I was up to over 3 gallons when they made me stop.  We also donated plasma in college for beer money.

Only time I ever passed out was when a buddy and I "raced"  (Squeezed the ball like madmen) to see who could finish first (we were in high screwl and stupid, but I repeat myself).  We both stood up and proceed to hit the floor like two sacks of *expletive deleted*.

Eat good meals the night before and day of.

Don't worry about it.  They're used to people passing out and are prepared.  Doesn't make you our your blood any less.

Take you time and relax during and after.  If you need to lay down, do so under your own power.  ;)

<--- Gets stuck with a needle at least once a week, but they only take two vials of blood, then they put a bunch of nasty stuff in....

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 10:36:37 AM »
I've been a regular at Red Cross bloodmobiles for years. I think I'm at 11 gallons at the moment. I haven't fainted from a donation yet. I was turned down at my very first attempt because of low hemoglobin --- I had just come off working three days (and two nights) straight to meet a project deadline, so to say I was "tired" would be a massive understatement.

Most of the preceding advice (the others -- you know who you are) has been good. Don't donate on an empty stomach, don't drink alcohol before donating. The bloodmobile I usually hit these days has great egg salad sandwiches, so I regard it as a free lunch. I get enough to sustain me for the 2-mile drive to the nearby McDonald's for my real lunch.

I don't know if it's a racket. I don't think so. I do know that in my state, Red Cross blood donors are not charged for blood if they need it in a hospital ... but that's not the reason why I donate.

Wait -- Warren you fainted last MONTH? AFTER donating? You can't donate. If you're donating with the Red Cross, you are not allowed to donate more often than every 56 days.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »
I have an appointment and I canceled the last one and now I'm not sure I want to go to this one.

The thing is last month I fainted. That had not ever happened before and I felt humiliated.

I've tried to avoid thinking about it all day but now I'm outside a couple of beers and I can't stop worrying about it.

Any advice?

Christ, what a whiny bitch!

It went fine.

They gave me two t-shirts, a coupon for a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and a coupon for a free personal pizza from Round Table. Plus it was pizza day in the canteen so I scored there as well.

Thanks, everybody.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 07:39:37 PM »
They gave me two t-shirts, a coupon for a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and a coupon for a free personal pizza from Round Table. Plus it was pizza day in the canteen so I scored there as well. 

Wait, what ?!?!   At Heartland Blood Centers they'd glare at you like you were taking UNICEF food parcels from starving 3rd worlders if you took more then one packet of Lorna Doone's. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 07:48:20 PM »
Oh yeah, they had cheeses and danishes, cookie packets about 10 types of juice a coffee pod machine and what looked to be 16 varieties of crackers.

One of the other bonuses is that I as a righty, make sure to get the blood taken from my right arm and they say no heavy lifting or working with that arm for 72 hours so when my wife needs me to help out with something I say "sorry, nurses orders!"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
I've given blood once when they was on base. Probably would of fainted if I didn't lay back down after sitting up, had to lay there for probably 15 minutes. Theory amongst my friends is that it is a great vampire conspiracy seeing as how they seemed to be there constantly,  =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 10:12:53 PM »
I've never had an issue with dizziness when doing whole-blood donation. Strangely, donating platelets the first time (strange because you get all your blood minus some platelets back) I got dizzy afterwards and had to stay laying down for a bit. But I admittedly it was first thing in the morning and I'd stupidly skipped breakfast.

I tend to donate platelets once/month or so rather than do whole-blood donation, as they seem to have a harder time getting platelet donors which is understandable as it takes quite a bit longer (usually ~90 minutes for me).

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 10:53:20 PM »

Humiliated?  Faah!  I'm sure they've seen it all before.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.