Author Topic: Truck gurus! (especially Dodge Diesel Gurus)  (Read 7556 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Truck gurus! (especially Dodge Diesel Gurus)
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 12:01:14 AM »
Well, we just got the truck today!   It's in great condition...  But because it has sat so often, the tires aren't in very good condition, even though they should have plenty of tread life left.   The engine is strong, plenty of power, and on the drive up here from NorCal, it got 20.3 MPG, with the A/C running. 

I think I'm gonna be very happy....  :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 12:40:36 AM »
Congrats, AD.  Sounds like you made out pretty well.  Enjoy your new ride by driving it down to the Sheridan launch on Sept. 23 - 25.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 07:32:27 AM »
Not a bad idea.... I do have the 24th and 25th off....   If we're not in the middle of working on the house still (installing new windows) we just might have to come see you attempt to achieve low earth orbit....  :P

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 10:13:42 AM »
Are the tires rotted, or what  ???

I don't see how sitting would hurt them much, except tubeless tires tend to go flat if they're not driven on.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »
we were told that one of the tires was "separating" (haven't had a chance to look at it yet, as they mounted the spare and chucked the bad tire in the spare holder under the bed).

So we'll see what's going on, as the other three seem to be ok....

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 07:21:18 PM »
we were told that one of the tires was "separating" (haven't had a chance to look at it yet, as they mounted the spare and chucked the bad tire in the spare holder under the bed).

So we'll see what's going on, as the other three seem to be ok....

Might be a rot issue - was that tire sitting in more sunlight...?

We had something weird happen with one of our wildland fire trucks - a 1 ton single wheel pickup with a 200 gal tank and pump in the bed.  It started handling really strange sometimes.  One time we were headed down the highway to do mutual aid, and it just started to "come apart" going around a corner at about 65mph.  I've driven a lot of old trucks with various issues, but this felt just like you were towing a long trailer that was tail heavy and swinging.  For a few seconds I thought we were dead, but I finally got it coaxed around the corner and slowed down to about 50-55 the rest of the way there and back.

The fire chief drove it somewhere and claimed it was just fine, but then some other volunteers drove it and it scared them to death.  I thought that the frame must be broke.  Finally, somehow it was discovered that the tread was trying to come off of one or both of the back tires.  :O

So our VFD put two new tires on it, and since we got another dually wildland engine from the state, we pulled the tank/pump out it, put an old topper on it, and are using it for a command/service vehicle.  It's actually sitting in my driveway right now as we don't have room for it in the fire hall.  It drives pretty nice with new rear tires and all that weight off the back.  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin