Author Topic: Shotgun shell question  (Read 6915 times)

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: Shotgun shell question
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 07:26:20 PM »
Wax (or glue) in the shot cup is a ghetto way of making a frangible slug.  Not the first time I've heard of the technique, and that's probably what the CA regs were trying to prevent.

Another technique is a cut shell -- you cut enough of the hull so that upon firing most of the shell exits, crimp still in place (or mostly in place) and it hits like a frangible slug.  I believe the practice came into use during the Great Depression.

Shot on a wire is usually called a "bolo" round.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
The wax is probably a lot safer than a cut-shell. At least you're only forcing the nominal diameter of the shot & wad through the forcing cone and any chokes you might have on the barrel instead of the entire diameter of a 12ga shell.  [tinfoil]
I promise not to duck.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 01:17:26 AM »
The wax is probably a lot safer than a cut-shell. At least you're only forcing the nominal diameter of the shot & wad through the forcing cone and any chokes you might have on the barrel instead of the entire diameter of a 12ga shell.  [tinfoil]

I always looked upon that as an urban legend.  I doubt it would work.  Never met anyone who claimed to have done it, just heard about other people doing it.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

birdman

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 06:55:46 AM »
I always looked upon that as an urban legend.  I doubt it would work.  Never met anyone who claimed to have done it, just heard about other people doing it.

It does work, but it better be a cylinder bore!  My primary shooting buddy has done it (just to try it).  The results are what you would expect, it acts like a frangible slug.

I can imagine the wax trick would be very useful for creating low cost improvised breaching rounds (using say #7 or #8 shot)...a hell of a lot cheaper than real breachers.  I would actually like to see a box of truth type test on that...I wonder if it would yield a good enough level of penetration while still coming apart readily on walls (since in effect it acts like the shot dispersal begins on impact).  I may have to try this myself!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 08:14:13 AM »
AJ Dual thought:

The wax is probably a lot safer than a cut-shell. At least you're only forcing the nominal diameter of the shot & wad through the forcing cone and any chokes you might have on the barrel instead of the entire diameter of a 12ga shell.

That was my thought, too,  if I'm understanding the cut-hull concept correctly.

birdman ventured:

I may have to try this myself!

I hope the shot column doesn't push through the crimping and exit, leaving the half-hull in the bore or chamber.  Next shot might give you a frangible shotgun.  Besides, as AJ Dual pointed out, the whole front end of the shell would have to try to get through the shotgun forcing cone.  Good luck on that.   This one does sound urban legendish.

Even if the front half of the shell could get throught the chamber constriction, it still seems like a delicate balancing operation between depth of cut and strength of crimp.

I am (or was) a pretty aggressive experimenter with all kinds of loads, shotgun, rifle, pistol, but even I would not try that one.

Let's remember that people all over the world are reading our posts, some of whom may not be as experienced in firearm technology.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:35:52 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 10:36:38 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU
I promise not to duck.