Author Topic: US Army brigadier general charged with sex offenses with subordinates  (Read 3607 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/09/26/army-general-sinclair-charged-sex-crimes/70001223/1#.UGO5qP8xrAk

Wow, a one-star general accused of forcible sex offenses with subordinates.  Kiss that career good bye.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: US Army brigadier general charged with sex offenses with subordinates
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 10:39:10 PM »
Yeah, that's one of those career enders if ever there was one.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 10:40:13 PM »
Have yall seen the photo of him on a village people float?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »
I hope there is an actual trial. If convicted, he needs serious jail time.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:49:39 PM »
EDIT.    Sorry.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 04:04:18 AM »
I hope there is an actual trial. If convicted, he needs serious jail time.

He should not be allowed to resign his commission and take retirement unless theose charges cannot be substantiated.  Too often even though the documentation was there higher ranks were allowed to "gracefully" leave the service so as to avoid the enbarassment a court martial would create - as in how superiors allowed inappropriate/criminal to go on for any period of time.

It sounds vindictive, but given the position of trust he occupied and the authority he wielded in enforcing on lower ranks the rules he is alleged to have violated, there ought to be no lienency.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 08:54:41 AM »
Have yall seen the photo of him on a village people float?

???
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:13:53 AM »
If he's guilty, it's disgraceful, to say the least.
But it happens. There's always going to be a bad apple. The biggest shame is that if he IS guilty of most of the charges, he's been doing it for a LONG damn time and no one's stopped him before now.

He must have really done a number on someone though. Look at the charges. The only thing they didn't throw at him was some kind of uniform infraction. Kind of like when a cop killer gets arrested he's charged with everything they can throw at him right down to not wearing a seatbelt.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 10:28:18 AM »
If charges have been brought, he's beyond the point where he'll be allowed to retire quietly "for the good of the service." He's toast. And if they brought charges rather than "advise" him to consider retiring, it's also a safe bet they have more than enough evidence to convict him ... and that they consider what he did to be serious enough that allowing a quiet retirement would NOT be "for the good of the service."

It must be something in the water over there. There was another case several months ago involving another high-ranking officer. I don't remember the name, but he was just as bad -- or worse. Was in a divorce with his American wife but, before the divorce was finalized, he married an Iraqi woman (by proxy) and had military spousal benefits switched from his wife to the Iraqi woman. His area commander apparently ordered the MPs at the guy's base not to allow the Iraqi woman on the post, so he put her up in a hotel in London and then traveled to see her every couple of weeks on his government account.

My late father was an officer in WW2 and I know he took that "officer and gentleman" stuff very seriously. I'm sure he is not pleased.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 10:58:26 AM »
Found the other one. He was only a Colonel. The story reads like the plot of a cheap romance novel.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/07/army-colonels-sentence-bigamy-case-outrage-070112/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 11:02:56 AM »
He should be busted down to private (can they do that with an officer?) and do a lot of time in Leavenworth.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »
If charges have been brought, he's beyond the point where he'll be allowed to retire quietly "for the good of the service." He's toast. And if they brought charges rather than "advise" him to consider retiring, it's also a safe bet they have more than enough evidence to convict him ... and that they consider what he did to be serious enough that allowing a quiet retirement would NOT be "for the good of the service."

This.   There will be a Courts Martial and he will be convicted.  The Army doesn't put on that kind of Dog and Pony Show unless they have him dead to rights.   He's toast.  The sentence will be determined by the "jury" that hears the courts martial.  He can't be busted down to private (Doesn't work that way) but he can forfeit all pay and allowances and be sentenced to the DB at Leavenworth.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 01:37:30 PM »
Found the other one. He was only a Colonel. The story reads like the plot of a cheap romance novel.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/07/army-colonels-sentence-bigamy-case-outrage-070112/

“There will be some who say the sentence was unfair, or that there is a different system between officers and enlisted,” Hertling said. “But those who say that were likely not there, and those who say that probably have little knowledge of what went on in the court. What we know is this: Col. Johnson was relieved and charged with crimes by his commanders; he pled guilty to some charges, and was found guilty of others, in our military court system; and he was sentenced by that court. Soldiers can debate or be discouraged by the sentence, but we must maintain trust in the fairness of our military judicial system.”

Na, folks are right to question trust in the military judicial system if folks caught dead to rights walk if they are high ranking. If this General walks after using his rank to nail subordinates... Not good. That is probably the cardinal sin in the Army. Probably ever old timer Army grunt knows informally of some story of a fellow soldier fooling around with another soldier's wife, then said fellow soldier goes AWOL and folks are very careful not to dig up near firing ranges. I of course never heard of such stories, and would never condone such activities. Of course.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »
The Army did not say in May exactly why Sinclair was relieved of command and recalled. A Fort Bragg official said only that it was "a criminal investigation," The Fayetteville Observer reported at the time.

Doesn't sound good for the officer involved, but I'm not in the Army.  I know I've been seeing a lot more officers getting hammered when the CG publishes the Good Order and Discipline quarterly messages, it might be slow but times are changing.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 02:49:32 PM »
He should be busted down to private (can they do that with an officer?) and do a lot of time in Leavenworth.

This.   There will be a Courts Martial and he will be convicted.  The Army doesn't put on that kind of Dog and Pony Show unless they have him dead to rights.   He's toast.  The sentence will be determined by the "jury" that hears the courts martial.  He can't be busted down to private (Doesn't work that way) but he can forfeit all pay and allowances and be sentenced to the DB at Leavenworth.

I thought that to go to Leavenworth military prison, you had to first be busted down to e-1?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »

I thought that to go to Leavenworth military prison, you had to first be busted down to e-1?

I honestly don't know. The people I've know who went there were busted to E-1 but that's only 2 of them, and they were enlisted to start with. I guess I didn't pay enough attention in Leadership School. =|
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »

No. Reduction in rank is not automatic. It must be part of your sentencing. For officers, I'm told that it's usually their last rank that they honorably served. Again, varies for enlisted as well.

Up to the court-martial.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »
Actually, during the term of incarceration the individual holds NO rank.  They are classified as "Prisoner" and lose ceertain privileges that those outside the military seem perplexed by, such as not having the right to salute.  For instance, during morning and evening "Colors" formations (raising and lowering of the national ensign) they are requireed to remove their head covering and hold it over their heart.  When a commissioned or warrant officer passes by they are required to offer an appropriate greeting but may not render a hand salute, nor may they remove their head covering.  They are required to offer an appropriate greeting to all superior enlisted ranks (meaning anyone who does not have a large "P" on their back and right thigh.

Although the individual holds no rank while incarcerated, they may in fact have not been reduced in rank as part of the punishment inflicted imposed.  Because they are not serving "good time" their eligibility to receive pay remains in suspense.  Once they are released from incarceration they may again receive pay.

Back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and I spent the King's shilling "bad time" did not count towards the expiration of your enlistment contract.  Sign for two, get locked up for five, and you spend a total of seven by the calendar but only two towards pay, rank, and benefits.  I have no idea if they have gone soft in the intervening years.  Officers agree to a certain period of service but have the option of resigning their commission before that term expires.  Based on what inducements the government provided in return for signing up it may carry a heavy financial burden to resign your commission.  (JAG officer had law school paid for by Uncle Sugar in return for six years service after graduation.  He bailed after just over three.  They presented him with the total bill for law school, with accrued interest.  They wanted payment RFN, but he was able to arrange a payment schedule.  He claimed to be surprised they wanted their money at all.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 12:06:15 AM »
Oh, and in case anyone missed it, they are bringing this to Courts Martial for one (possibly two reasons) 1) They may not have offered him to resign "for the good of the service."  Or he said "Nope, not going to do it."  either 2) because he is being made an example of.  Especially given all the attention shagging your subordinates has gotten recently, Lackland AFB, and practically every female who ever served claiming they were raped. 

This courts martial is for one reason and one reason only:
Pour l'encouragement des autres.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/06/14961775-captain-army-general-in-sex-case-threatened-to-kill-me?lite

The second day of his hearing does not appear to be going well for the general.  This hearing is to determine if there is enough evidence to warrant bringing him to a general court martial.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »
This is not going to end well no matter if he can show no criminal behavior under the UCMJ.  (I know, a stretch at this point.)

This having made it to the press, there is not a snowball's chance of him being allowed to quietly slip into retirement.  And Leavenworth is not a place he will enjoy at all.

Me?   [popcorn]

stay safe.

Artiewhitefox

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 11:57:27 PM »
People are willing to destroy the life of another,  but would not like it if their life was destroyed. People are not equal. God is equal. Why do people think they can do what God can who is equal? I don't like the militarily, but I still don't like seeing people actng like unstable dogs against a person wanting to chew them up.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 11:59:39 PM »
People are willing to destroy the life of another,  but would not like it if their life was destroyed. People are not equal. God is equal. Why do people think they can do what God can who is equal? I don't like the militarily, but I still don't like seeing people actng like unstable dogs against a person wanting to chew them up.

Come again???

Sinclair is very deserving of his courtmartial, I assure you that, and it goes WAY beyond the sex scandal.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 12:06:30 AM »
If God is equal, and two rocks are equal, can God make two equal rocks so equal that he can't lift them?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 06:45:07 AM »
How many equals could God equalize if God could equalize equals?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?