Author Topic: Ex-smokers: cost to quit?  (Read 2655 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Ex-smokers: cost to quit?
« on: October 03, 2006, 01:45:18 PM »
Ever since my father-in-law died of lung cancer last year, my wife and I have seriously discussed quitting smoking. The only thing we haven't gotten around to is the tough part: quitting.

I'm a chain smoker, so I know that just up and quitting will not work for me. I'll need to go the whole nine yards, with whatever drugs, gum, and other treatment is available.

Right now I'm wondering what all that stuff costs.

To put things in a monetary perspective, I spend right around $390 a month on generics. My wife probably spends about $300 a month on a name brand. (Yeah, that's a whole lot of money).

A neighbor of mine quit smoking many years ago, but still chews several pieces of nicoteine gum every day. Says it's expensive, but I never asked how much.

So, how much for all the quitting stuff?

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 01:48:34 PM »
Chain smoker for a long time, over 40 yrs anyway.

Hypnotist, $80.00

He hasnt smoked in 3 yrs.  

my uncle.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 02:00:34 PM »
My dad died from smoking. So did his brother, and his wife my aunt. It's a very tough road, Monkeyleg. Very tough. I started 20+ years ago in the army and have been trying to quit for a while. My heart goes out to you. I'm trying to quit again right now. I now smoke a lot less since our bars/clubsrestaurants are now smoke free.

Try Zyban. It makes cigs taste bad. It helps a lot. But when I quit taking it, the urge to smoke came back. Switch to a light cigarette. Don't smoke in your house. Go outside so it's not so easy to light up.

I think about my family members who have quit smoking through death. I try to keep that in mind as a motivation to quit. Not quitting is more expensive in the long run that smoking. Gum, drugs, therapy/accupuncture may help you. Life is better than death at just about any cost.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 02:01:02 PM »
The cost to quit is not nearly as great as the cost to smoke, whatever the cost to quit is.  Good luck.  Nicotine is a very tough addiction and I admire anyone who takes it on himself to do so.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 02:17:06 PM »
Kathryn and I used the 3-phase Nicoderm patch.  First time, we stopped (gained about #20 each) for 2 years.  We shared a smoke during a particularly bad, local wildfire, and ended up smoking again.

One shared box of the Stage 3 patches and we both quit.  Three years, now.  No cravings, nothing.

The increased price of a tank of gasoline took the boost to our budget, tidily.

If I recall, the patches ran some $20/box.

We were never more than pack-a-day smokers (if that).
and cello sonatas flow through the air. . .

"Diversity is our strength!"

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 02:35:27 PM »
I quit "cold turkey" 15 yrs ago. Was smoking 3-3.5 PPD (packs per day). This makes the third time; I quit 2 other times for 5yrs each time. First time a woman drove me to smoking, 2nd time my Dad! Actually, 2nd time I had a cigar with Dad after Easter dinner. Damned near killed me 'cause I did inhale,  inhaled everything I smoked, cigars, cigarettes, pipe, well let' leave it at that--it was a long time ago.

Both kids had lung problems, my son had asthma, step-dau cystic fibrosis, my grown daughter away with her own new family. I was an EMT-paramedic at that time and hauled several "lungers"; not a nice way to die.  If you really want help/encouragement go see an autopsy of a smoker. One of the Dr's I worked with said "We ask even 10 yr olds if they use tobacco, because so many do in this area. If they're users, I tell 'em 'don't worry about your lungs; you'll have a stroke or heart attack before you get lung cancer!'"

I ate alot of pretzels, some nuts and a little hard candy. Went easy on the last 2 due to calories. Unless you're salt-sensitive, the pretzels are pretty benign. After 15 years I still sometimes would like a smoke, particularly a cigar. It's not that craving like when you first quit, but the though does cross my mind. I enjoyed smoking.

JUST DO IT!
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

SomeKid

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 03:15:53 PM »
Incentive helps.

You saw someone die, and don't want to die that way.

Here is another way to look at it. If you and wife quit this month, that is over 600 bucks you can put towards dumping Doyle, and getting CCW in WI.

As a never-smoker myself, I have no idea if it helps, but I figure the incentive may. Good luck.

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 04:27:38 PM »
No matter what you take, it costs less than smoking. You could swallow solid gold pills instead of Zyban every day for a month and it would still be cheaper over the course of your life.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 04:46:59 PM »
If smoking is a very oral thing for you, I'd strongly recommend the generic forms of Nicorette (Target, Walmart),  It goes for about $27 per box (110 pieces), which should last you 4-5 days.  You can even buy it in bulk for less online from Australia.  
That would cut your cost nearly in half and you would feel much better.  I quit smoking 15 years ago with the help of a certified hypnotist (psychologist) and the gum.  I still use the gun sometimes (I simply have a jones for nicotine),  but I've not been able to find any real negative reports, anywhere, about long-term usage of nicotine gum.  It is FAR better than tobacco use...and you can get a nictotine fix anytime and anywhere.  It's a tough road regardless of what you use to quit.  I craved cigarettes for a couple of years. The secret to quiting, is finally deciding that you are an EX smoker, and not to give yourself any other options. The mantra my Eastern European shrink taught me was (and I can still hear her voice), " I am a man that used to smoke...I no longer choose to smoke".

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 04:54:34 PM »
Quote from: Monkeyleg
I'm a chain smoker, so I know that just up and quitting will not work for me.
You don't know that at all.  Attitudes like that tend to be self-fulfilling, though, so mebbe you do know it afterall.

My Grandfather was a chain smoker.  He quit cold turkey without any great difficulty.  

My father, 4 uncles, 2 aunts, and grandmother were all heavy smokers.  Not exactly chain smokers, but they each smoked 3 packs a day or more.  They all quit cold turkey as well.  Again, no great difficulty.

All this took place in the late '80s and early '90s, so none of them had access to gums or patches or anything.  None of them bought into this BS that quitting was anything other than breaking a bad habbit.  

I think the ready availability of the gums and patches and other medical treatments serve only to create this false impression that nicotine addiction is a medical disease that has to be cured by a medical treatment.  These treatments absolve the smoker of his responsibilty to quit.  

I hear it all the time.  "I tried to quit using the patch, but it didn't work for me."  Bullshit.  It ain't the patches fault you chose to continue smoking.

Anyway, the bottom line is that you don't need to spend a dime to quit smoking if you don't want to.  All you have to do is quit making excuses.  Just do it.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 05:30:27 PM »
Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner
I hear it all the time.  "I tried to quit using the patch, but it didn't work for me."  Bullshit.
Didnt work for me either.  Can't keep them lit long enough to enjoy them.... Tongue

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 06:08:58 PM »
I'm down below two packs a day. For me, that's not smoking.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 06:10:23 PM »
HTG, I know myself pretty well. And, when it comes to self-control, I'm weak.

I'm at the point with cigarettes where my mind turns to mush without at least a "fix" an hour.

And--or at least I tell myself--I enjoy smoking.

The reason I asked about patches, gum, etc is that I want my effort to succeed, and be able to use very bit of ammo available. I don't like to lose.

I know I have to quit. I have a brother who's now 69 who smokes as much as I do. His emphysema is so bad that he can't even drive from PA to WI. I may never see him again.

My next-oldest brother just quit cold turkey. I don't know how he did it, but he did.

The reason I started this thread was that I got a new air purifier for this computer room. It's one of those HEPA-style filters, but the fan doesn't draw in enough air. Within an hour, I realized that this new air purifier was making the room smell better, but the room was more smoke-filled.

And that every piece of computer equipment here would only get damaged more.

When I saw my FIL the night before he died, I was certain that I'd be able to give up cigarettes. It was an awful sight.

I have to quit. I already have some very negative incentives.

So, why do I not really want to quit?

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 06:15:10 PM »
My Dad quit cold turkey over 10 years ago.  He was a 3 pack a day smoker and had started coughing himself unconsicious (scared Mom to death).  He took up a Nintendo game boy to keep his hands busy while he sat in his chair watching TV in the evenings.  I think he killed 2 of them over the years.

Good thing he did quit.  About 5 years ago a chest x-ray revealed that he has the beginnings of emphysema, but since he doesn't smoke any more it hasn't gotten any worse.  He just has to keep track of his lungs during cold and flu season.

I smoked sporadically in college and will do the "smoke and drink" from time to time. Been known to bum one when I'm really upset about something.   I always regret it later.
Experiment with a chemist!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 06:15:44 PM »
I tried the gum but couldn't get past that first smoke in the morning, not enough residual nicotine left overnight. Then I tried the patch and that worked for me. To save money I would always buy the strongest patch and then after a couple weeks I cut them in half, then a couple weeks later in quarters. I DID put on some major weight though, I'm STILL trying to take it off 12 years later.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

caseydog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 06:57:54 PM »
Dick , I quit one year ago cold turkey, you can use all the aids that you need to beat the physical addiction but you better give more thought to beating the hand to pocket to mouth habit ! The physical addiction was gone in days but to this day sometimes I tap my pocket after I eat out of habit. Put some sugar free candy in your cig pocket or something . Get this , after a while you get to quit wearing shirts with pockets! You'll smell better , you don't constantly have to scout smoking areas when out and about and you'll be able to breathe 10 years from now ! I still have some friends and co-workers who smoke and I don't bother them at all about it , but man when I smell their clothes I feel like apologizing to all my nonsmoking friends and relatives !

I had enough of my mouth tasting like a wet ashtray smells every morning, I had enough of watching all the nice stuff we bought for the house turning yellow in months but mostly I had it with paying big bucks (mostly taxes!)  for something to steal my wind.

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 07:34:36 PM »
Oh, caseydog, you don't have to tell me. Our house reeks of smoke, and it's a constant battle to get that yellow-brown stain off of everything.

One reason I smoke so much is that I'm in a constant state of stress. Pretty much 24 hours a day. And the cigs help me (or so I tell myself).

Another reason I smoke so much is that I'm easily addicted. That's why, in another thread, I mentioned that I never did any narcotics.

I don't know the answer as to how to quit, and I doubt that any here can give me a 100% solution. It's all an individual decision, and the outcome is based on the individual.

What I was looking for was a profit/loss analysis. If I can get it into my thick head that quitting will save me $XXX dollars a month, and the cost of quitting will cost me a smaller percentage of that amount, I can start to build my own case for quitting.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 08:13:17 PM »
You need to stop looking for a miracle cure, stop discussing it, stop thinking about it, stop making excuses, and just do it.  Stop smoking.  Do it RFN.  No more cigarettes from this moment forward.

Gather up any cigs you have on hand, break 'em in half and toss 'em out.  Get rid of any lighters, matches, ashtrays, etc.  Don't buy any more cigs at the store.  No more smoking.  As of Right Now, you've quit smoking.

That cig you smoked a few minutes ago was you last one.  Ever.  You're done discussing it and done thinking about it, and as of right now you have already quit smoking.

You've been a non-smoker for the last few minutes.  How does it feel?  

Keep it up for the next hour.  Keep it up for the next 3 hours.  Keep it up for the next 12 hours, and for the next 24 hours.  Now you've been a non-smoker for an entire day.  Wasn't so hard, was it?  How does that feel?  Answer me tomorrow night.

HForrest

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 08:19:13 PM »
Well, you also have to consider the other lives you'll save by quitting. If you continue to smoke, and a "Day After Tomorrow"-esque scenario happens due to global warming, it'll be on your shoulders, you damn polluter.

Old Fud

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 08:41:45 PM »
Having reasons to quit don't get 'er done.
You have to have made the DECISION (Commitment) to quit.  

Monkeyleg -- you've said it yourself.  You have tons of good reasons, but the truth is you don't WANT to quit.  You haven't made the decision.

When you do, remove all temptation to have "just one".   It would be best if you and your wife could do it together -- then you can empty the house, empty your pockets, get rid of any hidden stash, and beg your friends not to help out in a pinch.

I had a package of gum if the pain got too bad, but knew that if I gave in and had them, I was just dragging out my nicotine withdrawal.    In the end, that package of gum was what stood on the kitchen table -- untouched -- when it was actually possible to go a whole hour without thinking about having a weed.

It's no fun.
It's not easy.
It takes MONTHS (the first 30 days are the easiest)
Once you've done it, you will never want to go through THAT again, which is what has kept me clean for 6 years now.  

I hope you can make the decision, Monkeyleg.  
Good luck.

Fud.
Change is Bad!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 09:30:47 PM »
Quote from: Old Fud
Having reasons to quit don't get 'er done.
You have to have made the DECISION (Commitment) to quit.  

Monkeyleg -- you've said it yourself.  You have tons of good reasons, but the truth is you don't WANT to quit.  You haven't made the decision.
Old Fud, that's the point I was trying to make over on the topic of the legalization of drugs.

As mentioned, I have a BIL who's hit rock bottom with crack and cocaine. But he apparently isn't ready to quit, even though his life is pretty much destroyed.

And no substance abuser--whether the substance is cigarettes, cocaine, heroin, booze, or any other addictive substance--will quit until he or she reaches the point where the abuser says "enough."

I'm getting to that point, but I'm not there yet. And, to be honest, I don't know what it's going to take to get me to that point.

My brother who quit cold turkey got the ultimatim from his wife: it was the cigarettes or her.

HTG, don't you think I know all that after 40 years of smoking?

A year ago, my wife and I went to a neighbor's New Years Eve party. From 7 pm until 1 am, I didn't smoke a single cigarette. I had some beers, shot pool, and watched a lot of other people act silly. But, for six straight hours, I didn't smoke. That's a lifetime for me.

And I've gone almost as long in other situations without smoking.

So I know I can do it.

But, despite all of the reasons you cited and I cited, I'm just not there yet.

Maybe I'll have to be dying to be there.

That's where my FIL was. He was even going outside for cigarettes when he was being treated for lung cancer.

My oldest brother, the one with emphysema, is on inhalers and oxygen. And he's still smoking.

I have an old friend--old in age, and old by our association--who is now an AA counselor.

He's described to me the lowest depths to which he sunk while drinking. I never even imagined such things could be possible.

Yet, he continued to drink.

And, as he's told me so many times since, no addict to any substance will give it up until he or she sees that it's time to give it up or else. What the "else" might be is personal.

I can see the "else." $700 a month? Yeah, that's an "else." Pneumonia every year or so? Yeah, that's an "else." Wanting another newer car? Another "else."

When I read posts like those from HTG and others, I feel like a weakling. Then others who are personally strong but who have struggled with addictions make me feel like less of a loser.

HTG, last year was the first time in 39 years that my wife and I even talked about quitting smoking. The subject never even came up.

Tobacco is more addictive than practically any other drug--legal or otherwise--that's available.

I wish I could grab the cigarette from every young kid's mouth I see and stomp on it.

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 12:58:33 AM »
Dick, when you are ready, I'd suggest taking a smoking cessastion class through your local hospital. I took one through work, not really expecting to quit, and figured it would show pictures of diseases lungs and be preachy. It wasn't at all.

There was a lot of information about the way your body was going to react and hints about how to get through particular stages..and a lot of them really worked. I'm a natural skeptic but it was very helpful.

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 04:24:46 AM »
You won't quit untill you want to do the work to quit. It took me 2 times. I smoked 2or3 packs of camel straits. a day.  

The cost of quitting?  HA!  What you should be calculating is the cost of the smokes. When I quit succesfully I also saved money by not going to bars since once I had a couple of beers I really wanted to smoke.  I didn't go to a bar for a year untill I was mentally tough enough to take the pressure.

What surprised me is how much money I had extra when I wasn't spending 5-10 dollars a day for smokes and such.  More money for guns.

pete

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2006, 05:13:51 AM »
There is nothing weak about using stop smoking aids to quit. Whether it be the patch (which I used with great success) of gum, hypnotism or acupuncture, etc.
It does not matter. If it helps you quit, then do it.

Maybe I'll have to be dying to be there.
Hey, worked for me! Seven days on life support because of double pneumonia, severe sepsis and acute respiritory failure is a real big convincer (is that a word?)

Prior to that I wanted to quit, but really wasn't motivated enough.
I smoked for 35 years and I quit. So can you.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Lee

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2006, 06:39:38 AM »
"Tobacco is more addictive than practically any other drug--legal or otherwise--that's available."

Nicotine is the drug - and as I stated previously, there are much better ways to ingest nicotene.  

I forgot to mention one thing earlier.  My reward to myself for quiting was a brand new Colt Delta Elite 10mm.  It helped.

Another way to look at smoking.  Would you be willing to live next door to a company that polluted your body, ruined your quality of life, shortened your life by a decade, while you PAYED them to do it? Nope.